• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

2024 TDL Thread

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

For sure. I think teams like Edmonton and Toronto would kill for Olli Maatta right now. But that's exactly why I like him on our third pair too. I'm open to moving him, but I think it would have to be a really big upgrade. Personally I'd just like to see us chase an upgrade to Petry on the right side of the 2nd pair and move Petry to the press box. I think Petry has been reasonably good considering his age and what he's been asked to do so far this season, and I'd be thrilled if he was the guy coming into the lineup in the playoffs in case of injury. I just don't think he's got the legs for 20 mins a night anymore. In my ideal world we'd look something like:

Walman-Seider

Chiarot-Gudas/Kesselring

Maatta-Gost

Petry

Id like a bigger upgrade then Gudas/Kesselring in that spot. Andersson/Durzi would be better imo. In my scenario Edvinsson is in for Maatta (traded). You dont want Ed? dont think hes ready? or just dont think hell be up this season?

24 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

Id like a bigger upgrade then Gudas/Kesselring in that spot. Andersson/Durzi would be better imo. In my scenario Edvinsson is in for Maatta (traded). You dont want Ed? dont think hes ready? or just dont think hell be up this season?

Not at all. I think Edvinsson is a stud. My rationale is that I don't want to change the roster too much because we're winning and clearly have chemistry. Also, I don't think there's any problem with the left side of our defense. If Edvinsson was a righty he'd be on the team already. Swapping Gudas (for example) with Petry and moving out Holl accomplishes both. It upgrades the right side without moving anybody important off the roster or out of the locker room. Plus adds some defensive acumen and snarl too.

Edit: Also, I'll readily admit that Durzi and Andersson are better players than the guys I mentioned. They are. But there are two big reasons I don't want them. First, the cost to acquire them would be significantly higher IMO. Second, stylistically they're more offensive than defensive. We already have one of the top scoring defense corps in the league. I want a guy that can help nail down good teams in the playoffs. Neither Durzi nor Andersson are that guy IMO. Given a choice I like Tanev/Gudas/Kesselring/Barron, in that order.

Edited by kipwinger

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/red_wings_reportedly_listening_to_offers_on_defensemen/s1_14825_40022834

So, let's look at this. We'd like to make our D better NOW and for the future. We need to have a spot open for Edvinsson next season as well. IMO, if, indeed, there were teams interested in Holl, then trade him by all means. Whether that is in a package or for a pick, do it, this opens up a 7th D spot this season. Decide which D-man you are going to acquire at the TDL, Andersson, Chychrun, or Hanifin. We all know the positives and negatives of each. Let's just say we go for Chychrun. Not gonna guess a package, because with Yzerman you never know if he is going to fleece someone, or pay up to outbid someone. We'll just say BOOM, we have Chychrun. You ride in to the playoffs with this D:

Walman - Seider

Ghost - Chychrun

Maatta - Chiarot

Petry

This summer, you let Ghost walk and (hear me out) buy out Petry's last year. That makes your D look like this:

Walman - Seider

Edvinsson - Chychrun

Maatta - Chiarot

OPEN

You could always not buy out Petry and he could just be the #7 guy rotating in and out. Or maybe there's someone out there better that may push Chiarot to #7. IMO, if someone wants Holl, and they aren't on his 10-team list, trade him. He's doing us no good sitting. Get a pick, and then acquire that D-Man that will be with the club for years. 

5 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/red_wings_reportedly_listening_to_offers_on_defensemen/s1_14825_40022834

So, let's look at this. We'd like to make our D better NOW and for the future. We need to have a spot open for Edvinsson next season as well. IMO, if, indeed, there were teams interested in Holl, then trade him by all means. Whether that is in a package or for a pick, do it, this opens up a 7th D spot this season. Decide which D-man you are going to acquire at the TDL, Andersson, Chychrun, or Hanifin. We all know the positives and negatives of each. Let's just say we go for Chychrun. Not gonna guess a package, because with Yzerman you never know if he is going to fleece someone, or pay up to outbid someone. We'll just say BOOM, we have Chychrun. You ride in to the playoffs with this D:

Walman - Seider

Ghost - Chychrun

Maatta - Chiarot

Petry

This summer, you let Ghost walk and (hear me out) buy out Petry's last year. That makes your D look like this:

Walman - Seider

Edvinsson - Chychrun

Maatta - Chiarot

OPEN

You could always not buy out Petry and he could just be the #7 guy rotating in and out. Or maybe there's someone out there better that may push Chiarot to #7. IMO, if someone wants Holl, and they aren't on his 10-team list, trade him. He's doing us no good sitting. Get a pick, and then acquire that D-Man that will be with the club for years. 

Overall I don't think this is the worst thing in the world. BUT one nitpick I have is that it doesn't really make sense to buy out Petry (creating dead cap space over multiple years) AND ALSO leave a hole at your 7th defenseman spot. Why not just keep Petry for the final year of his deal and make him the 7th defenseman? He's basically making 7th defenseman money already. He costs less than Holl...our current 7th defenseman.

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Overall I don't think this is the worst thing in the world. BUT one nitpick I have is that it doesn't really make sense to buy out Petry (creating dead cap space over multiple years) AND ALSO leave a hole at your 7th defenseman spot. Why not just keep Petry for the final year of his deal and make him the 7th defenseman? He's basically making 7th defenseman money already. He costs less than Holl...our current 7th defenseman.

Yes, I said that at the end. We could just keep Petry as the #7.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Yes, I said that at the end. We could just keep Petry as the #7.

My mistake, I missed it. You sure did. Overall I don't hate it. Don't love it (because none of the guys you mentioned are both RHD AND play solid defensively) but I don't hate it.

37 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Walman - Seider

Ghost - Chychrun

Maatta - Chiarot

Petry

Walman - Seider

Edvinsson - Chychrun

Maatta - Chiarot

OPEN

PHUCHHKKKKK Chychrun. Seriously. 

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

What I'd love is to have Gudas playing where Petry is, Petry playing where Holl is (7th defenseman) and Holl on another team. Only issue with that is Gudas' contract, which isn't great for the next three years.

Yeah, you take the good with the bad from Gost. I agree he's been better than he was early on, but he's always going to have a few goofs. That's just his game at even strength. You tolerate it for the powerplay, and I'm okay with that.

If you could trade Holl to Anaheim for Gudas it costs you an extra 600k in salary.  Anaheim would gain draft/prospect assets and an NHL defenseman to put in the ice.

2 minutes ago, mackel said:

If you could trade Holl to Anaheim for Gudas it costs you an extra 600k in salary.  Anaheim would gain draft/prospect assets and an NHL defenseman to put in the ice.

I'm not worried about Gudas' AAV. I'm worried about the term. He's 33 and it runs for two more years. Guys start falling off cliffs pretty rapidly at his age. Its iffy.

Edited by kipwinger

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not worried about Gudas' AAV. I'm worried about the term. He's 33 and it runs for two more years. Guys start falling off cliffs pretty rapidly at his age. Its iffy.

Yea, I get it... but guys can be moved, it's not an issue...  Tampa moved far worse contracts and players off their books in recent years.

6 minutes ago, mackel said:

Yea, I get it... but guys can be moved, it's not an issue...  Tampa moved far worse contracts and players off their books in recent years.

That's a really good point. Justin Holl and William Wallinder for Radko Gudas please.

7 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

Sounds like the asking price on all the Dmen is a 1st rounder. Even for guys like Walker and Tanev. No wonder SY is listening on his Dmen.

The irony that Holl having term lessens his value. 

On 2/27/2024 at 4:43 PM, mackel said:

Adding Durzi or Andresson would be an upgrade now and for the medium term, it goes without saying we want to dump 2 of Holl, Matta, Petry and not resign GhostBear.

why? Maatta and Holl are both great on a 3rd pairing.

On 2/27/2024 at 4:14 PM, Scott R Lucidi said:

You guys are all geniuses.  We have 2 NHL ready defenseman in Edvinsson and Johansson, 1 two months away in ASP, and 2 others (Wallinder and Tuomisto) one more season away.  But let's jam more rejects from other teams in front of our prospects so they can NEVER make the NHL.  I want ALL of our farm system completely frustrated and asking out of the organization like Berggren.  Great plan.

You are way overrating AJo. And ASP is not 2 months away. He hasn't even played on North American ice yet that I know of.

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Not at all. I think Edvinsson is a stud. My rationale is that I don't want to change the roster too much because we're winning and clearly have chemistry. Also, I don't think there's any problem with the left side of our defense. If Edvinsson was a righty he'd be on the team already. Swapping Gudas (for example) with Petry and moving out Holl accomplishes both. It upgrades the right side without moving anybody important off the roster or out of the locker room. Plus adds some defensive acumen and snarl too.

Edit: Also, I'll readily admit that Durzi and Andersson are better players than the guys I mentioned. They are. But there are two big reasons I don't want them. First, the cost to acquire them would be significantly higher IMO. Second, stylistically they're more offensive than defensive. We already have one of the top scoring defense corps in the league. I want a guy that can help nail down good teams in the playoffs. Neither Durzi nor Andersson are that guy IMO. Given a choice I like Tanev/Gudas/Kesselring/Barron, in that order.

Gudas is already 33 and under contract for another 2 years at 4 mil per. His style of play may not last him until he is 35/36. I would rather not give up assets and just keep the current D corp for the rest of the season, then replace Ghost with Ed next season. Maatta and Holl is a good 3rd pairing and move Petry to 7th D.

11 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

The internet is saying Tanev to Dallas is about done

I am fine with that. Wasn't really interested in him.

Edit: just saw your post about Gudas. nvm.

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I just chose him as the example. My first choice is Andersson. Put him in all the places I mentioned Chychrun.

In all likelihood, Chychrun would require trading away a prospect we want to keep. 

Edited by Axl Foley