• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

2024 TDL Thread

Rate this topic

I know you gotta give to get but I am not sure I bounce Berggren out...If Elmer was crushing it along with the others in GR I might be less reluctant. I figured Elmer was the next Tage T. 

JB should make the team next year or is he is seen as a PIA therefore is not a "team" guy in Yzerman's mind?

It seems like forever since we've been able to be excited about a TDL. Every year we were spoiled, looking forward to the new toys that would be brought in. Exciting times.

I have been a looooong time reader of these forums. Going back to the late 90's early 2000's. I've visited the site nearly daily and enjoyed following the discussions and laughed at some of the arguments. You guys are awesome.

Many years ago my buddies older brother would come on here as GilchristFOREVER and post the wildest stuff. We would crack up reading his posts before he submitted them. Good times.( :thumbup: for those who know).

My wish list is a decent goalie to give us a 2b option for the playoffs in case Lyon runs out of gas.

And a scrappy Dman.

Let's Go Wings!

2 hours ago, rinkratt44 said:

It seems like forever since we've been able to be excited about a TDL. Every year we were spoiled, looking forward to the new toys that would be brought in. Exciting times.

I have been a looooong time reader of these forums. Going back to the late 90's early 2000's. I've visited the site nearly daily and enjoyed following the discussions and laughed at some of the arguments. You guys are awesome.

Many years ago my buddies older brother would come on here as GilchristFOREVER and post the wildest stuff. We would crack up reading his posts before he submitted them. Good times.( :thumbup: for those who know).

My wish list is a decent goalie to give us a 2b option for the playoffs in case Lyon runs out of gas.

And a scrappy Dman.

Let's Go Wings!

LONGTIME LGW.COM FAMILY UNITE

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Thoughts on Scott Laughton and Rasmus Andersson?

I'd love me some Andersson. Pretty sure his cap hit is decent and has term left. I think we need one more gamer in the mix if we can get one. Kostin is hurt too much and not really all to fast.

11 hours ago, Dabura said:

Thoughts on Scott Laughton and Rasmus Andersson?

My hope for Andesson has been mentioned more than enough. If he is acquirable, this is the guy that makes the most sense. Again real quick, 2 more years on his contract at a great price. Hanifin would not only cost more to acquire (bidding war,) he's gonna hit pay dirt in July and would be too expensive. Chychrun, while younger, and he does still has another year left, will probably be more costly to acquire as well, especially being inner divisional. If I'm choosing immediate help in the top 4, and also moving forward, it's Andersson. Especially if I'm giving up Berggren. 

Andersson is a stud. He's also a righty, which I think we need more than we need help on the left side. Stylistically he plays a lot like Chiarot tho. He's more offensive minded then you'd think by looking at him. Not sure how those two would fit together. But that would be a good problem to have I suppose. Or just put him with Maata and leave Chia and Petry together as a third pair.

Why would we trade assets for a defenseman when we already have guys in our system we can utilize?  Yzerman is in a great position this TDL.  He can unload Perron and Gost for 2nd rounders, then recall Kasper and Edvinsson.  Trade Berggren and Husso for Fleury.  Bring in ASP and Danielson as black aces 

4 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Why would we trade assets for a defenseman when we already have guys in our system we can utilize?  Yzerman is in a great position this TDL.  He can unload Perron and Gost for 2nd rounders, then recall Kasper and Edvinsson.  Trade Berggren and Husso for Fleury.  Bring in ASP and Danielson as black aces 

I think moving Perron would be a mistake.  He has to be very careful not to mess with this teams makeup-they claim Perrons speech is what made them turn it around, you don't want to ship out a player like this unless you have to.  Sure he's slowed up, but he's so hard on the puck and is one of our best guys at winning puck battles-maybe the best tbh.  It would be in our better interest to try and sign him to a cheaper team friendly deal, at least while he's still effective for the next couple years.

AND HOLY HELL PLEASE SIGN KANER.  That is all

8 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Do you want an actual answer or are you just trying to be irritating?

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Andersson is a stud. He's also a righty, which I think we need more than we need help on the left side. Stylistically he plays a lot like Chiarot tho. He's more offensive minded then you'd think by looking at him. Not sure how those two would fit together. But that would be a good problem to have I suppose. Or just put him with Maata and leave Chia and Petry together as a third pair.

You trade for Andersson to bolster the d this season but more importantly going forward. Imagine a top 4 of Walman-Seider / Edvinsson-Andersson next season. Chiarot/Maatta-Holl/Petry as 3 pair with Johansson/Wallinder/ASP all knocking on the door. 

2 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

You trade for Andersson to bolster the d this season but more importantly going forward. Imagine a top 4 of Walman-Seider / Edvinsson-Andersson next season. Chiarot/Maatta-Holl/Petry as 3 pair with Johansson/Wallinder/ASP all knocking on the door. 

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the appeal. He's a great player. I watch a lot of Calgary hockey dating back to last season so I've seen Andersson play a ton. He's really good. I think we'd have to part with a ton to get him, but given that he's under contract he'd be worth a lot too.

26 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the appeal. He's a great player. I watch a lot of Calgary hockey dating back to last season so I've seen Andersson play a ton. He's really good. I think we'd have to part with a ton to get him, but given that he's under contract he'd be worth a lot too.

Maatta, Berggren, 2024 3rd, 2015 1st get it done? Too much not enough?

2 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

Maatta, Berggren, 2024 3rd, 2015 1st get it done? Too much not enough?

You're probably in the ballpark, but it's hard to say how a trade packages will actually shake out these days because salary retention/cap casualties have value as well. Look at the Chychrun deal last year, or the Mantha trade a year before.

Keep the 1st round picks. I like the Barrons and Kesselrings better. This teams trajectory is looking great. Crack the playoffs, get some experience. Draft a ASP-like steal in the middle first round and inject more young studs into the roster for next season and keep on moving up. 

Cup window opens soon. Thats when we start dealing 1st round picks. Until then: only bong rips and smooth sailing. 

Edited by Akakabuto

9 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Keep the 1st round picks. I like the Barrons and Kesselrings better. This teams trajectory is looking great. Crack the playoffs, get some experience. Draft a ASP-like steal in the middle first round and inject more young studs into the roster for next season and keep on moving up. 

Cup window opens soon. Thats when we start dealing 1st round picks. Until then: only bong rips and smooth sailing. 

I dont mind trading a 2025 1st for a longterm piece that fits in with the core. ASP looks like a steal but thats gonna be more and more rare where were picking now. If you can get a legit top 3 d in his prime under contract without giving up major building blocks you do it.

53 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

37 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

I dont mind trading a 2025 1st for a longterm piece that fits in with the core. ASP looks like a steal but thats gonna be more and more rare where were picking now. If you can get a legit top 3 d in his prime under contract without giving up major building blocks you do it.

Just don't be Pierre Doiron/Ottawa-in-general and we'll be AOK

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

Your post got me thinking about an idea I've been kicking around for a while. What if you just never traded a first round pick? Like, as an organizational philosophy? BUT you always traded away talented (but not core) pieces after their primes? Over time would you be better off for it?

So for example, you draft Filip Hronek and he turns into a top four defenseman. You keep signing him throughout his RFA period (usually ends around 27-28 years old, same as their primes). If you're out of playoff contention you trade him at the deadline for a haul, if you're in the playoffs you trade his rights in the offseason for something meager or let him walk for nothing. But you NEVER trade a 1st. That means you've got roughly 10 years worth of 1st round picks to find his replacement. Plus whatever additional picks you've gathered from similar trades previously. In the event of injuries you either sign a UFA (Chiarot or Maatta) or trade prospects and/or 2nd-3rd round picks to replace who you lost with a Walman level player.

The advantages are this:

1. Over the hill players can still fetch big returns at the deadline. There are a million examples of teams getting 1st round picks in return for over the hill 30-35 year old players. So very often you'd have extra first and 2nd round picks to use however you wanted.

2. Trading a 1st round pick for a deadline rental almost never benefits your team. Lots of teams do it at the deadline and it only ever pays off for one of them. Even dynasty teams only win 2-3 times during their windows, so AT BEST you get a few trade wins and even more trade losses.

3. Your roster will always be full of studs to replace the guys you trade away at the end of their usefulness. You can confidently trade a Hronek at the end of his usefulness without any dropoff because you've got Seider and Edvinsson and Sandin Pellika coming right behind him. Obviously your drafting would have to be league average or better. You'd probably also only want to draft centers and defensemen with your 1st round picks.

So in essence you ALWAYS trade your Manthas, Bertuzzis, and Hroneks, but never trade your Seiders or your 1sts. Am I crazy or is this a WAY better idea than trading a 1st for Elias Lindholm (for instance) and A) hoping that helps you win the Cup, and/or B) hoping the pick you traded away doesn't become Andrei Vasilevsky? Because Option A is unlikely and Option B is devastating.

Edited by kipwinger

18 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Your post got me thinking about an idea I've been kicking around for a while. What if you just never traded a first round pick? Like, as an organizational philosophy? BUT you always traded away talented (but not core) pieces after their primes? Over time would you be better off for it?

So for example, you draft Filip Hronek and he turns into a top four defenseman. You keep signing him throughout his RFA period (usually ends around 27-28 years old, same as their primes). If you're out of playoff contention you trade him at the deadline for a haul, if you're in the playoffs you trade his rights in the offseason for something meager or let him walk for nothing. But you NEVER trade a 1st. That means you've got roughly 10 years worth of 1st round picks to find his replacement. Plus whatever additional picks you've gathered from similar trades previously. In the event of injuries you either sign a UFA (Chiarot or Maatta) or trade prospects and/or 2nd-3rd round picks to replace who you lost with a Walman level player.

The advantages are this:

1. Over the hill players can still fetch big returns at the deadline. There are a million examples of teams getting 1st round picks in return for over the hill 30-35 year old players. So very often you'd have extra first and 2nd round picks to use however you wanted.

2. Trading a 1st round pick for a deadline rental almost never benefits your team. Lots of teams do it at the deadline and it only ever pays off for one of them. Even dynasty teams only win 2-3 times during their windows, so AT BEST you get a few trade wins and even more trade losses.

3. Your roster will always be full of studs to replace the guys you trade away at the end of their usefulness. You can confidently trade a Hronek at the end of his usefulness without any dropoff because you've got Seider and Edvinsson and Sandin Pellika coming right behind him. Obviously your drafting would have to be league average or better. You'd probably also only want to draft centers and defensemen with your 1st round picks.

So in essence you ALWAYS trade your Manthas, Bertuzzis, and Hroneks, but never trade your Seiders or your 1sts. Am I crazy or is this a WAY better idea than trading a 1st for Elias Lindholm (for instance) and A) hoping that helps you win the Cup, and/or B) hoping the pick you traded away doesn't become Andrei Vasilevsky? Because Option A is unlikely and Option B is devastating.

It makes sense BUT no GM has a leash that long.