• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

2024 TDL Thread

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

I can admit it hasn't been as fruitful as hoped - but in the context of the time you don't think it was a good move? I guess the term length is regretful now.

I wanted Trocheck at the time to fill the 2C role. Hard to say whether he had any interest or not, but he's a Michigan guy too. My concern with Copp was that he didn't really ever play center very much in Winnipeg and he'd only had one decent offensive season (his contract year) prior to free agency. We expected too much out of him and are paying him for his best (and only) good season.

And by "we" I mean Steve Yzerman is paying a guy 5.6 million dollars for 4 seasons to play a role he's not any good at.

26 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I wanted Trocheck at the time to fill the 2C role. Hard to say whether he had any interest or not, but he's a Michigan guy too. My concern with Copp was that he didn't really ever play center very much in Winnipeg and he'd only had one decent offensive season (his contract year) prior to free agency. We expected too much out of him and are paying him for his best (and only) good season.

And by "we" I mean Steve Yzerman is paying a guy 5.6 million dollars for 4 seasons to play a role he's not any good at.

I feel like Copp is an easy loss. He's not actually bad, he's just not quite up to par with his cap hit, which at the time was totally command-able. So now he's like a yellow asset. Not bad (red) or good (green) just kinda mediocre and in the way. Not anything I'm thrilled about, but it's a mild burden at best. He's also the kinda guy that will like randomly score 65 points when we sign Stamkos or something.

26 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

We probably wouldve had to pay Trocheck like 6.5 mil for the same term. I think Copp was an apprioprate risk on his part, but again I think you can say the term was too long.

Edited by Troy McClure

My question is, Since our gold tenders are not that great, Why are we still going with 3 of them in Detroit? Better goaltenders have been waived and they've cleared. I don't think we'd lose any of ours. And if we did lose husso, let's say, it's really not a big deal. I know he's injured right now. But i'm talking about when all three are healthy again.

Edited by LeftWinger

39 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

My question is, Since our gold tenders are not that great, Why are we still going with 3 of them in Detroit? Better goaltenders have been waived and they've cleared. I don't think we'd lose any of ours. And if we did lose husso, let's say, it's really not a big deal. I know he's injured right now. But i'm talking about when all three are healthy again.

We don't know that we are keeping all three, precisely because Husso being injured means that roster spot is a non-issue.  We'll only know once Husso comes back, probably after a game or two to check his health status. 

11 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

I feel like Copp is an easy loss. He's not actually bad, he's just not quite up to par with his cap hit, which at the time was totally command-able. So now he's like a yellow asset. Not bad (red) or good (green) just kinda mediocre and in the way. Not anything I'm thrilled about, but it's a mild burden at best. He's also the kinda guy that will like randomly score 65 points when we sign Stamkos or something.

We probably wouldve had to pay Trocheck like 6.5 mil for the same term. I think Copp was an apprioprate risk on his part, but again I think you can say the term was too long.

This team would be so much better with Trochek at 2C at Compher at 3C. I wanted Trochek over Copp at the time (still do), but that contract was just not logical for a rebuilding team.

5 hours ago, Axl Foley said:

This team would be so much better with Trochek at 2C at Compher at 3C. I wanted Trochek over Copp at the time (still do), but that contract was just not logical for a rebuilding team.

No you didn't

Honestly look at our defenseman plus minus can anyone guess who's the only one that's a negative? To top that off he's -16 yet he's still on the pp. Ghost is a BUM he's the worst signing of the off-season and it's not close. Maatta Petry and Holl getting scratched so this guy can play is gonna be the reason why this team doesn't make the playoffs. If he's still here after the deadline I'm done with the Yzerman love. No way should this guy have made the team over Simon. Laziest defenseman I've ever seen dawn the winged wheel. Chiarot getting so much hate is laughable, the two whipping boys should be Copp and Ghost. I'd take Trocheck at 7 mil over Copp at 5.6.. Tro would be 1 mill overpaid but Copp is 4 mill overpaid.. ones a legit 2nd line center the other one should be making hot n readys.

Edited by 88Kaner

IDK how the Wings are gonna afford Stamkos after we pay all our guys that we should keep he'd have to leave a lot of money on the table. He'd be better of staying in Tampa than coming to this s*** show.

3 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

my favorite is being told we cant afford a top pair dman (Hamps) at 10.5 mil x 8 years, but then signing a bunch of regards (Chiarot, Petry, Gostisbehere, Holl, and Maatta) at 14 mil.  Regard @marcaractac

Nice to know I still live rent-free in your head. 

15 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Nice to know I still live rent-free in your head. 

We have a lot of bad contracts on this team... slight to modest to big overpays on mediocre (or worse) players.  Yzerman spent years getting rid of contracts like that only to sign his own.  Thankfully most are short term but that Copp contract, Holl for 3 years, Fabbri should be moved and replaced by Berger, cheaper lateral move... these are sorts of players you move on from and let someone else pay.

23 hours ago, 88Kaner said:

IDK how the Wings are gonna afford Stamkos after we pay all our guys that we should keep he'd have to leave a lot of money on the table. He'd be better of staying in Tampa than coming to this s*** show.

Easily we'd need to move out both Fabbri and Maatta and that should be too difficult, Just take future considerations for both. And that right there clears out $7,000,000 to sign Stammer.