• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
12Newf

Report: Brunnstrom chooses Detroit?

Rate this topic

...Holland would be trading Hudler for Someone who will help this year. No, Brunnstrom will not replace Hudler this year after the trade deadline, but next season, if not traded, Hudler loses his icetime to Brunnstrom for sure, so trading Hudler at the deadline because Holland "Has Brunnstrom" does make sense, especially if Hudler, this season, is replaced by Sundin or Fedorov, who both KNOW how to win in the playoffs...

Why would Brunnstrom coming in mean so much of a decrease in Hudler's icetime? Hudler is an established forward on this team. Brunnstrom hasn't even made the team.

Fourth-line duty, methinks.

or 3rd if by 4th we understand Maltby, Drapes and whomever they're

paired with. I'd rather give Brunnstrom a chance to play some offence

and show his case

I think you guys are overplaying this quite a bit. The guy has quite a bit of potential but it's quite obvious he might not pan out. But he seems to be a better prospect than a lot of the guys we have in our system, esp when it comes to wingers. And he's developing fast, if Detroit catches him on an upswing we could have a pretty good player on our hands in a couple of years. Sign him, give him a lot of ice time during the pre-season and see if he can do it. Obviously also hope that he gets picked for most of the upcoming international tournaments so that he gets some experience from competitions like that.

But then, don't be surprised if he decided/is forced to stay another year in Sweden. That might do him good too. Allowing him to play first-line minutes in Sweden and playing internationals for another year would be good for him.

Can we stick tot he topic at hand? Let's say the Wings do get this Brunnstrom guy...what do the lines look like?

Um....

Brunnstrom-Filppula-Zetterberg?

Brunnstrom-Datsyuk-Holmstrom?

Brunnstrom-Drake-Kopecky?

Brunnstrom-Smith-Jones?

Brunnstrom-Crosby-Ovechkin?

Brunnstrom-Caesar-Augustus?

Who knows? Who cares? If there's one thing that has been true of the Wings ever since Scotty took over, it's that no line is sacred. All the switching of lines this year proves it. People get hurt, lines go cold, certain combos get hot, everything changes five or six times during the course of one season. Players get acquired, players get traded. Line-combo-guessing, especially for a player who isn't even signed to a contract yet, is the most futile exercise ever. "well I think he should play with so-and-so because blah blah blah" gets shot down the moment Babcock starts tinkering. It's never worth it to care.

I was there too amazing concert, except they didn't play the Pot. Plus it would have been cooler if Manyerd came out in a wings jersey instead of a pistons

They didn't play The Pot at the concert i went to in Birmingham as well, but it still rocked my world. Maynard is the man! I bet he would have worn a Wings jersey if we had won the cup last year.

Why would Brunnstrom coming in mean so much of a decrease in Hudler's icetime? Hudler is an established forward on this team. Brunnstrom hasn't even made the team.

...why would this guy not get at least the #2 line? It's not like he is a no-name UFA that nobody heard of. Half the freaking NHL was trying to get this guy, Detroit is the winner in this sweepstakes. If all those teams were vying for this guy, don't you think that he is better than a 4th liner? Or is it that the Wings are so omnipotent that nobody can touch the top two lines? Please. Hudler is established? Not now. Holland didn't travel to Sweden himself to woo this kid to be a fourth liner. Vancouver was talking about putting him on the first line. Where would you rather go, somewhere that your are going to get 30 minutes or 8 minutes? Time to stop the man-love with Hudler, he was never that great and will never be that great on this team. His trade value is going down as we speak and so will his ice-time when this kid arrives here next training camp. Package Hudler now for someone who will help us win a Cup this year and come next season you don't miss a beat with Brunnstrom...

...4th liner, we have a Griffins team full of NHL fourth liners, this kid will be on the second line with Zetterberg as his center-man...

so here are the potential lines

Cleary - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunnstrom

Sammy - Filpulla - Kopecky

Downey - Draper - Maltby

...unless they can get Sundin (if that is who they get at the deadline) to re-sign then that makes Downey the 13th forward again and shuffles Kopecky to the fourth line and Franzen to the third line. Cleary would drop to the second with Sundin at center then Zetterberg would return to the first line...

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Cleary - Sundin - Brunnstrom

Sammy - Filpulla - Franzen

Kopecky - Draper - Maltby

...of course as someone else mentioned, line combos are never set in stone here in Detroit, but that line up could produce many of quality line combos!

Edited by LeftWinger

...why would this guy not get at least the #2 line? It's not like he is a no-name UFA that nobody heard of. Half the freaking NHL was trying to get this guy, Detroit is the winner in this sweepstakes. If all those teams were vying for this guy, don't you think that he is better than a 4th liner? Or is it that the Wings are so omnipotent that nobody can touch the top two lines? Please. Hudler is established? Not now. Holland didn't travel to Sweden himself to woo this kid to be a fourth liner. Vancouver was talking about putting him on the first line. Where would you rather go, somewhere that your are going to get 30 minutes or 8 minutes? Time to stop the man-love with Hudler, he was never that great and will never be that great on this team. His trade value is going down as we speak and so will his ice-time when this kid arrives here next training camp. Package Hudler now for someone who will help us win a Cup this year and come next season you don't miss a beat with Brunnstrom...

...4th liner, we have a Griffins team full of NHL fourth liners, this kid will be on the second line with Zetterberg as his center-man...

so here are the potential lines

Cleary - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunnstrom

Sammy - Filpulla - Kopecky

Downey - Draper - Maltby

...unless they can get Sundin (if that is who they get at the deadline) to re-sign then that makes Downey the 13th forward again and shuffles Kopecky to the fourth line and Franzen to the third line. Cleary would drop to the second with Sundin at center then Zetterberg would return to the first line...

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Cleary - Sundin - Brunnstrom

Sammy - Filpulla - Franzen

Kopecky - Draper - Maltby

...of course as someone else mentioned, line combos are never set in stone here in Detroit, but that line up could produce many of quality line combos!

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything you said except for the SUNDIN part. Face it dude, he is not leaving Canada. Id rather have Filppula than Sundin any day of the week. Plus you said that we would re-sign him? You know, I know, and everyone here on this board knows he is white and blue all the way and will cross the border back to Toronto no matter what team would/will trade for him and the BOGUS trade requests they want back for his services.

I want Marian Hossa, and I want him now.... :siren:

They KNEW how to win in the playoffs. Past Tense. Neither have won anything in any playoff for several years. You want to bring on guys based on what they did several years ago even though they have done nothing since. And you are banking on that they will resurect their careers in Detroit? It could happen but frankly that is really a long shot. Yea it happened with Murphy and Fetisov but that has nothing to do with Fedorov and Foote. It didn't happen with Luke Robataille or Curtis Joseph. They played ok when they were here but not great and remember Wendl Clark? Yea, he was here but most people don't even remember because he never did anything while he was here.

Lastly, we have enough guys that know how to win the cup

How many Cups had Robitaille, Joseph, and Clark won prior to their stints in Detroit?

Oh, that's right: none.

Murphy had won two Cups with Pittsburgh already and Fetisov had significant experience internationally.

Blake, Fedorov, and Foote have a combined six Cup rings. They didn't just forget how to win like you suggested. Their experience would be very valuable.

There's no such thing as having "enough" guys that know how to win the Cup.

As for Brunnstrom, I highly, highly doubt this guy would be able to step right in and be effective.

Edited by ARice89

If all those teams were vying for this guy, don't you think that he is better than a 4th liner?

He may have the raw skills, but he'll more than likely need time to adjust to the NHL and to the Wings' system before spending time in the top-6 -- especially if we pick up someone like Hossa.

He may have the raw skills, but he'll more than likely need time to adjust to the NHL and to the Wings' system before spending time in the top-6 -- especially if we pick up someone like Hossa.

I'm one of those people leaning towards that Hossa and others like him will be too expensive to trade for. The only position I really feel we need to upgrade for the future is the goalie, and this is also where I'd be willing to give quite a bit up as long as we got a solid guy for the future. And while I still have hopes for Howard I'm becoming more and more convinced that the guy isn't going to pan out.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/

If Brunnstrom's chosen the Wings, that's news to Holland

Posted by George James Malik January 28, 2008 06:40AM

Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told the Detroit News's John Niyo that he has not received word as to whether Swedish phenom Fabian Brunnstrom has chosen to sign Detroit's contract offer:

January 28, Detroit News: Wings general manager Ken Holland , who is in Binghamton, N.Y., for tonight's American Hockey League All-Star Game, said Sunday the team has not reached any agreement with Swedish prospect Fabian Brunnstrom.

The Wings are one of five teams that have made contract offers to Brunnstrom, a 22-year-old forward, an undrafted late-bloomer who has become a star playing for Farjestad in the Swedish Elite League this season. Detroit, Toronto and Vancouver are believed to be the frontrunners to land his services.

Holland left the world junior championships in the Czech Republic earlier this month to meet with Brunnstrom and his agent in Sweden, and he has remained in contact with the player and his North American agent, J.P. Barry , who also represents Wings forward Dan Cleary .

"We've made our pitch," Holland said. "My understanding is he's going through his options and trying to make a decision on where he wants to play. The teams have made their offers, so it's now really in his hands."

Brunnstrom won't sign what's expected to be a two-year entry-level contract until after his season ends in Sweden, and the soonest he'd be in the NHL would be next season.

This doesn't necessarily throw any water on Helene St. James' tip as to where Brunnstrom's leaning.

From what I've read (in both English and broken Swedish), Brunnstrom won't technically sign with an NHL team until after Farjestads' season ends, but he may have already made up his mind, as Niyo notes in his blog:

January 28, Detroit News: Talked to Wings GM Ken Holland earlier today and he denied the report suggesting they've got Swedish prospect Fabian Brunnstrom locked up. That said, the talk here in Atlanta is that Brunnstrom's short list of five teams is down to 2 or 3 finalists, and I think the Wings are the frontrunner. There won't be any difference in money, most likely -- all the teams will max out on the bonuses they offer with that 2-year entry-level contract -- so the big question for the young Swede may be whether he thinks there's room for him in the Wings' '08-09 lineup or not, compared to the situation in Toronto or Vancouver.

His opportunity to play--and win--and the support he'll get in adjusting off-ice that count most right now. Keep your ears to the ground, fellow Wings fans.

I'm one of those people leaning towards that Hossa and others like him will be too expensive to trade for. The only position I really feel we need to upgrade for the future is the goalie, and this is also where I'd be willing to give quite a bit up as long as we got a solid guy for the future. And while I still have hopes for Howard I'm becoming more and more convinced that the guy isn't going to pan out.

Our offensive pool is short on big bodies and goal-scorers -- hell, our roster is short on those! Hossa will most likely be too expensive, but the Wings do genuinely need that kind of package.

We're pretty deep on defense, though. As for Howard...I haven't been following his progress closely, but I'm guessing Kenny will give him at least one season as the starter before freaking. Ozzie's re-emergence provides some unexpected flexibility there.

Brunnstrom-Hartigan-Corazini

This guy wont play on the Wings this year, he'll be in GR.

Nope, he won't.

He had agreed to a deal with the Leafs last year, but backed out because they wanted him to play for the Marlies in '07/'08. I don't think he'd play in the AHL next year at all. He'd head back over to Sweden if he doesn't make the NHL roster.

Nope, he won't.

He had agreed to a deal with the Leafs last year, but backed out because they wanted him to play for the Marlies in '07/'08. I don't think he'd play in the AHL next year at all. He'd head back over to Sweden if he doesn't make the NHL roster.

He's another one of those guys who refuse to play in the minors? What a joke. Ok then, Kenny should stay away from this guy, we all know what happened with Grigerenko this year. I really dont understand why players have to be so godamn stubborn, I'd give anything to get in a minor league system for the NHL, but these guys are so talented they should just make the roster for being who they are. BS.

He's another one of those guys who refuse to play in the minors? What a joke. Ok then, Kenny should stay away from this guy, we all know what happened with Grigerenko this year. I really dont understand why players have to be so godamn stubborn, I'd give anything to get in a minor league system for the NHL, but these guys are so talented they should just make the roster for being who they are. BS.

Thanks to the two-way entry level contracts, they make peanuts (comparatively) to what they could be making in their home countries. That's the biggest factor.

Grigorenko was more willing to play in the minors than Zetterberg or Datsyuk; both Z and D had clauses that said they could go back to their home country if they didn't make the NHL team immediately.

Let's see, play with creepy Twinns on a team that in all actuality doesn't have a chance to win the Stanley Cup...or play with the best Swedish Defensmen in the league along with the best Swedish Forward in the league and a team destroying the NHL and on the verge of winning their 2nd Stanley Cup 6 years...

Did Kenny sign Alfredsson over the all-star break?! :blink:

Um, the fact that he doesn't want to play in the AHL doesn't bother me so much. None of the even half decent Swe players in the NHL went through the minor league hockey in the US/Canada. Fact is, he'd meet more qualified opposition in Sweden, esp given the international tournaments.

I don't really see the problem with treating the top leagues in Europe as developmental leagues. Players can sign with for an NHL team but can be loaned out to a European team for a season. The European team then handles the negotiations for a new contract - which likely is a lot less than what he'd making in the NHL, but more than the AHL. Everybody happy. There needs to be more dynamic brought in to the system because the current one stifles players and pisses of the European leagues.

And guys, most players develop faster in the European leagues than in the AHL, unless it's the type of player that doesn't exist in Europe which is one that relies on very aggressive, physical play. But I seriously doubt that Brunnstrom is gonna go anywhere near the AHL.

The SEL is a better league than the AHL so I don't see any problems with our Swedish prospects staying over there. Most NHL GM's believe this guy is ready to step into the lineup immediately. Now, whether that's the average lineup or ours remains to be seen, but I like the kid's speed and puck possession skills for sure. He could certainly beat out Samuelson IMO.

Much with Grigorenko... i will see if 4 years down the line when he cracks the lineup if all this raised expectations talk and excitment was warranted. Glad to see Igor and all of his talking about made such an impact on this years roster!

Edited by OsGOD

Much with Grigorenko... i will see if 4 years down the line when he cracks the lineup if all this raised expectations talk and excitment was warranted. Glad to see Igor and all of his talking about made such an impact on this years roster!

Just to get you up to speed: Grigorenko was in a near fatal car accident.

Might have affected his game a tad bit, turns out ;)