• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Red Wings patiently waiting for Lidstrom's decision

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/05/red_wings_gm_ken_holland_nickl.html

In the above article Holland states that (in addition to qualifying offers being made to all of the RFA's) Lidstrom will be taken care of first...then Homer...then he, Nill, Devellano, Yzerman and the scouting staff will go through the scouting meetings BEFORE talking to Bertuzi's agent.

Tad bit interesting. I'd rather see us sign one great player than Bert and a mediocre 4th liner.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Zetterberg-Franzen

???-Helm-Cleary

Miller-Abdelkader-Eaves

Draper

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Kindl-Ericsson

Meech

Howard

Osgood

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/05/red_wings_gm_ken_holland_nickl.html

In the above article Holland states that (in addition to qualifying offers being made to all of the RFA's) Lidstrom will be taken care of first...then Homer...then he, Nill, Devellano, Yzerman and the scouting staff will go through the scouting meetings BEFORE talking to Bertuzi's agent.

Hmmm. Your original title (Sounds like Bertuzzi's return isn't so certain) was a bit misleading there. Nowhere in that story does it say that Bert's return "isn't such a sure thing". In fact, the widely speculated opinion is that Holland wants Bertuzzi back at the right price, and I think that is further reinforced with the following line (Emphasis added)...

Holland said he hasn't delved too deeply into contract talks with forwards Tomas Holmstrom and Todd Bertuzzi, a of unrestricted free agents the club also hopes to re-sign.

This whole article is mostly about the Wings' stance on letting Lidstrom make his decision, and then what schedule/timeline they're approaching on signing their potential UFAs & RFAs.

I think some people still think of him as a superstar power forward like he was in his Vancouver days and not a 36-37 year old with a bad back. Others have never forgiven him for the Moore incident. But 1.5M for an 18 goal winger ain't too bad in my book. He was healthy all season, carried the team in December, and if he could just cut out the bad penalties (and the refs quit with the reputation calls) there'd be little to complain about IMO

If he could just cut out the bad penalties (and the refs quit with the reputation calls) there'd be little to complain about IMO

People have been saying the first part for many years now. It's not going to change all that much. The second part also is also an unfortunate circumstance that just won't go away because of his past.

People have been saying the first part for many years now. It's not going to change all that much. The second part also is also an unfortunate circumstance that just won't go away because of his past.

He is the master of the "throw arms up in the air like you didn't do anything" which tends to land him a 2 minute timeout.

I think some people still think of him as a superstar power forward like he was in his Vancouver days and not a 36-37 year old with a bad back. Others have never forgiven him for the Moore incident. But 1.5M for an 18 goal winger ain't too bad in my book. He was healthy all season, carried the team in December, and if he could just cut out the bad penalties (and the refs quit with the reputation calls) there'd be little to complain about IMO

i don't think thats it at all. i think most people that are down on bertuzzi just get frustrated by the penalties, the lack of hustle, the of consistency, the lack of defense, etc...

with that said, i think most people ended up satisfied with the season he put in. personally i was worried as i think he was pretty bad for calgary the year before despite the point total he ended up with. i think this year he was looking very similar to that player through the first few months.

like i said though, i think people realize he isn't going to get 90-100 points each season like he once did; i think many folks just think his negatives outweigh his positives. hopefully if they bring him back he can have another year like this one as i think overall it was pretty good.

i don't think thats it at all. i think most people that are down on bertuzzi just get frustrated by the penalties, the lack of hustle, the lack of consistency, the lack of defense, etc...

with that said, i think most people ended up satisfied with the season he put in. personally i was worried as i think he was pretty bad for calgary the year before despite the point total he ended up with. i think this year he was looking very similar to that player through the first few months.

like i said though, i think people realize he isn't going to get 90-100 points each season like he once did; i think many folks just think his negatives outweigh his positives. hopefully if they bring him back he can have another year like this one as i think overall it was pretty good.

Those are all traits that apply to Hudler yet people have been pretty high on him around here since word of his return.

Kenny Holland was just on Power Play saying all the usual things. They spoke heavily about Stevie Y's new job, but also about what the Wings do moving forward. He said that the clutch scoring we lost last post season ended up hurting us and that we'll need to find more scoring, also saying that Hudler is expected to provide a good chunk of that.

When talking about Lids, he said that he's cautiously optimistic. He said he expects Nick to return but that 'anything can happen'.

Guest Lidstromboli

Why does Lebda have to wait for this Lidstrom joker to make a decision?

Hurry up already with the decision so that we can know whether Lebda will be back or not next year.

yeah i'm getting sick of this prima donna lindstrom guy holding back our blue chip players like lebda. he's due for at least a 3 mil raise this year and he probably won't even get it :angry:

Those are all traits that apply to Hudler yet people have been pretty high on him around here since word of his return.

you very well may be right, and i personally don't want to get into another bertuzzi or hudler debate, i just feel like that "people expect him to be the guy he was 15 years ago" defense is way off. certainly there's room for a lot to debate about bertuzzi's season and how he fits into the wings plans.

Ive read in multiple articles that Bertuzzi doesnt want to be anywhere but here and that the money issue will be worked out. He likes playing in this atmosphere and likes the role that he has on the team. Combine that with all the Holland interviews saying that he loves how Bert plays and wants to have him back next season, and id say we have a contract in the waiting. I dont see a huge raise by anymeans as i beleive Bert is still seeing money come in from previous teams, so i dont think the wings will have to give him much more than what he was getting this season. With Williams more than likely gone, and the possibility of Lidstrom taking a pay cut, i dont think we will have a problem filling a competitive roster, one with Bertuzzi. I would look to him having a comparable season to this year with hopefully less penalties. Hopefully he can still get 20 goals playing on the 3rd line all season. he got alot of his goals this season when he was getting 1st and second line minutes when we had alot of injuries, But hopefully with Hudler returning we will be able to field a good scoring 1st 2nd and 3rd line.

Hudler may not have Helm's hustle or Zetterberg's defense, but he works hard and is above average defensively, neither of which can be said of Bertuzzi. He's also more than a decade younger and a better offensive player. He fits the Wings' system better as well.

Just FYI.

Hudler may not have Helm's hustle or Zetterberg's defense, but he works hard and is above average defensively, neither of which can be said of Bertuzzi. He's also more than a decade younger and a better offensive player. He fits the Wings' system better as well.

Just FYI.

Hudler's defensive contribution is not much better than Bert's,but Hudler will do more offensively.Yes,Bertuzzi is a lot bigger,but he doesn't use his size ever so it doesn't even matter.People are saying we need to get younger,well letting Bert walk would be a good start.He's not a horrible player,but with Hudler coming back,he'll probably end up with 3rd line duty,which requires some defense,which Bert lacks majorly.There are better options than Bert.

After Stevie Y leaving the organization, if Lidstrom retires, this will be a crappy few weeks...

Understatement of the year... Can I be put on suicide watch if Lidstrom doesn't re-sign? I can't take all of this at once: a Hawks-Flyers final, Yzerman goes to the Lightning, and (God forbid) Lidstrom retires. :head explodes at the thought:

Huds certainly has his flaws but he's also the closest thing to a sniper the Wings can afford right now. If he can adapt to the competition that comes with playing on the second line, he will fit very nicely into a niche the Wings have been looking to fill for the past year. The Wings have two elite playmakers who also know how to score and play exceptionally well defensively in Datsyuk and Zetterberg. They (provided Bert and Homer come back) also have two big bodies who can crash the net and open up space down low in Bert and Homer. Franzen is a pure goal scorer that will be matched up with one of Datsyuk/Zetterberg and Homer/Bertuzzi. Hudler can be the scorer for the other line if he can step up his game the way the Wings organization expects him to. He has all the tools to do so, now its just a matter of giving him the opportunity.

Just FYI.

Hudler is above average defensively? Hudler works hard? I'm sure you'll provide some miraculous stats to prove these opinions. Hudler is not a two-way player in any shape or form, and he disappears against bigger, faster teams (because he absolutely cannot out-muscle anyone in this league).

Just FYI.