57 replies to this topic

#1 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

http://forum.calgary...ead.php?t=98270

It can't be a screw job against Calgary. Dan O'Halloran was one of the refs.

#2 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:32 AM

People seem to be complaining about "Penalties at the Joe" more than usual this season.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#3 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#4 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:38 AM

People seem to be complaining about "Penalties at the Joe" more than usual this season.

Yeah I know. Why is that? Anyone?

#5 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:42 AM

Because Detroit has been winning more often at the Joe.

Posted Image

#6 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:44 AM

Because the Wings obviously have the refs in their pocket.

Took a lot of cash to outbid Sidney. :ph34r:

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#7 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

Because the Wings are doing well this year? Who knows.

Every fan blames the refs a little more than they should, but the people on that Calgary board took it to a whole new level. A couple of the penalties might have been soft, but how many times do the Wings get nailed for hooking when they're just going after the puck? Homer gets called for goalie interference for just standing in front of the net. Bad calls happen all the time, if the Calgary fans want to know what bad calls really look like, they should watch a replay of the Wings-Sharks series in the playoffs last year.

The fact is, if Calgary would have shown up for the 3rd period, they would have won. Stupid mistakes and legitimate penalties at the end cost them the game.

#8 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

Most of that thread is just bitching about the number of penalties. They don't actually make a case for which penalties shouldn't have been called and why they shouldn't have been called. Here's what I saw...
1. Regehr-obvious interference on Fil, never touched the puck
2. Jackman- obvious board/interference on Abdelkader
3. Giordano- weak hold, but they're called every night
4. Hagman- obvious hold on Cleary
5. Backlund- roughing coincidental with Abs
6. Sarich- hook, stick in the hands-called every night
7. Hagman- didnt see the replay, maybe a makeup call
8. Stajan- obvious hold, dumb penalty
9. Bouwmeester- decked Abs in front w/o the puck
10. Iginla- unsportsmanlike for dropping the gloves

I don't really see a bad call here outside of the Hagman slash which I didn't see. If your team plays dumb and takes penalties then they're going to get called. It's like the Flames fans think once a few penalties are called against them the refs should stop calling them.

#9 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:08 AM

People absolutely refuse to believe that the Red Wings are as good as they are. They will point out every excuse in the book, leaning hard on the officiating being in the Wings' back pocket, instead of giving the team credit. If I wasn't a Wings fan I would hate them too because they make every other team in the league look silly but I wouldn't be an ignorant fool as to why they are so dominant. Jealousy breeds contempt.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#10 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:23 AM

Posted Image

#11 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:51 AM

Posted by a Calgary fan on in their GDT:

Win or lose I'm proud of the Flames, if the ref's weren't such a damn joke this would have been a blowout for the good guys.

I seriously hope each and every one of them gets hit by the damn Flames bus leaving the arena. What a joke.

Another guy wrote something like "lucky I don't have firearms in my house right now".

#12 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

Posted by a Calgary fan on in their GDT:

Another guy wrote something like "lucky I don't have firearms in my house right now".

Yeah I know. It's just a game. A couple years ago I think someone on the St. Louis Blues forum said they wished they could bomb JLA. To some people it's like war or something.

#13 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:18 AM

The guy Flames fans should be blaming for their woes is their terrible GM.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#14 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:34 AM

Even if the Flames fans feel they overcame some great injustice in the first 2 periods, they were given a 4 minute powerplay (on a discretionary call, not automatic) almost half way through the 3rd period in a game that they were leading 4-2. If the Flames had potted one on that powerplay, they would have tidily swept the rest of the game into the W column. It was practically gift wrapped for the taking at that point.

I'm all for chewing out the refs for poor officiating, but at some point the onus is on the Flames for not putting the game away with a golden opportunity that the "clearly biased" refs put on a platter for them.

#15 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:55 AM

Well, you know what I say to those Flames fans?

#16 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:12 AM

all them calls look legit as hell to me

#17 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:07 AM

Only a matter of time before the majority in here blames the officiating for a Wings loss this season.

The officiating and/or rules are just that bad, and junk calls happen for all teams across the board.

#18 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

People absolutely refuse to believe that the Red Wings are as good as they are. They will point out every excuse in the book, leaning hard on the officiating being in the Wings' back pocket, instead of giving the team credit. If I wasn't a Wings fan I would hate them too because they make every other team in the league look silly but I wouldn't be an ignorant fool as to why they are so dominant. Jealousy breeds contempt.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Non-Wings fans have been waiting for this franchise to have a down time for like 10 years now and they're pissed that it hasn't happened yet. I mean, look at all the other franchises in the NHL. How many times have they been good, then lousy and then good again, but throughout that entire span, the Wings have been great? They can't understand why can't their franchise do the same thing. The Flames were so bad for years, then they got Kipper and were good for a few years and now they're sinking down again and Calgary fans aren't ready for that.

As for the complaining about the calls at the Joe, you can thank Teemu Selanne for that. It just takes one whiner and then they all jump on. I didn't see the game, but I saw the highlights and those seem like pretty straight forward calls to me. You can't jump on a guy's back and take him down. That's just dumb. The Flames are undisciplined, unmotivated, and have terrible coaching. Its not like the Flames are this great team and they got robbed by the refs. They're 14th in the West. Flames fans should be focusing more on why they're team sucks, not why they think they got robbed by the refs

The guy Flames fans should be blaming for their woes is their terrible GM.

No kidding. Olli Jokinen again? Really?

#19 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

The radio broadcast of the game on the FAN 960 in Calgary said that Iginla could have received a d-o-g penalty, when he flipped the puck down the ice late in the third, and was lucky that he didn't. Truth in broadcasting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#20 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

Why does this sound like the common LGW fan as well? I mean, if they don't do well, they lean on the officiating. There is no credit given to the team unless its a 6-0 blowout.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain