• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blueliner

Flames Fans Blame Refs

Rate this topic

Yeah I know. Why is that? Anyone?

Because the Wings are doing well this year? Who knows.

Every fan blames the refs a little more than they should, but the people on that Calgary board took it to a whole new level. A couple of the penalties might have been soft, but how many times do the Wings get nailed for hooking when they're just going after the puck? Homer gets called for goalie interference for just standing in front of the net. Bad calls happen all the time, if the Calgary fans want to know what bad calls really look like, they should watch a replay of the Wings-Sharks series in the playoffs last year.

The fact is, if Calgary would have shown up for the 3rd period, they would have won. Stupid mistakes and legitimate penalties at the end cost them the game.

Most of that thread is just bitching about the number of penalties. They don't actually make a case for which penalties shouldn't have been called and why they shouldn't have been called. Here's what I saw...

1. Regehr-obvious interference on Fil, never touched the puck

2. Jackman- obvious board/interference on Abdelkader

3. Giordano- weak hold, but they're called every night

4. Hagman- obvious hold on Cleary

5. Backlund- roughing coincidental with Abs

6. Sarich- hook, stick in the hands-called every night

7. Hagman- didnt see the replay, maybe a makeup call

8. Stajan- obvious hold, dumb penalty

9. Bouwmeester- decked Abs in front w/o the puck

10. Iginla- unsportsmanlike for dropping the gloves

I don't really see a bad call here outside of the Hagman slash which I didn't see. If your team plays dumb and takes penalties then they're going to get called. It's like the Flames fans think once a few penalties are called against them the refs should stop calling them.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

People absolutely refuse to believe that the Red Wings are as good as they are. They will point out every excuse in the book, leaning hard on the officiating being in the Wings' back pocket, instead of giving the team credit. If I wasn't a Wings fan I would hate them too because they make every other team in the league look silly but I wouldn't be an ignorant fool as to why they are so dominant. Jealousy breeds contempt.

Guest Heaten

Posted by a Calgary fan on in their GDT:

Win or lose I'm proud of the Flames, if the ref's weren't such a damn joke this would have been a blowout for the good guys.

I seriously hope each and every one of them gets hit by the damn Flames bus leaving the arena. What a joke.

Another guy wrote something like "lucky I don't have firearms in my house right now".

Posted by a Calgary fan on in their GDT:

Another guy wrote something like "lucky I don't have firearms in my house right now".

Yeah I know. It's just a game. A couple years ago I think someone on the St. Louis Blues forum said they wished they could bomb JLA. To some people it's like war or something.

Even if the Flames fans feel they overcame some great injustice in the first 2 periods, they were given a 4 minute powerplay (on a discretionary call, not automatic) almost half way through the 3rd period in a game that they were leading 4-2. If the Flames had potted one on that powerplay, they would have tidily swept the rest of the game into the W column. It was practically gift wrapped for the taking at that point.

I'm all for chewing out the refs for poor officiating, but at some point the onus is on the Flames for not putting the game away with a golden opportunity that the "clearly biased" refs put on a platter for them.

People absolutely refuse to believe that the Red Wings are as good as they are. They will point out every excuse in the book, leaning hard on the officiating being in the Wings' back pocket, instead of giving the team credit. If I wasn't a Wings fan I would hate them too because they make every other team in the league look silly but I wouldn't be an ignorant fool as to why they are so dominant. Jealousy breeds contempt.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Non-Wings fans have been waiting for this franchise to have a down time for like 10 years now and they're pissed that it hasn't happened yet. I mean, look at all the other franchises in the NHL. How many times have they been good, then lousy and then good again, but throughout that entire span, the Wings have been great? They can't understand why can't their franchise do the same thing. The Flames were so bad for years, then they got Kipper and were good for a few years and now they're sinking down again and Calgary fans aren't ready for that.

As for the complaining about the calls at the Joe, you can thank Teemu Selanne for that. It just takes one whiner and then they all jump on. I didn't see the game, but I saw the highlights and those seem like pretty straight forward calls to me. You can't jump on a guy's back and take him down. That's just dumb. The Flames are undisciplined, unmotivated, and have terrible coaching. Its not like the Flames are this great team and they got robbed by the refs. They're 14th in the West. Flames fans should be focusing more on why they're team sucks, not why they think they got robbed by the refs

The guy Flames fans should be blaming for their woes is their terrible GM.

No kidding. Olli Jokinen again? Really?

Why does this sound like the common LGW fan as well? I mean, if they don't do well, they lean on the officiating. There is no credit given to the team unless its a 6-0 blowout.

The radio broadcast of the game on the FAN 960 in Calgary said that Iginla could have received a d-o-g penalty, when he flipped the puck down the ice late in the third, and was lucky that he didn't. Truth in broadcasting.

funny how no one saw that or mentioned it. I saw it. :ph34r: Poor sport all around - can you even picture Lidstrom doing that? I can't.

I can understand why they are bitter toward the Wings, but hey... play better than the Wings in the third and we wouldn't have anyone from Calgary complaining. :hehe:

Edited by puckloo39

Even if the Flames fans feel they overcame some great injustice in the first 2 periods, they were given a 4 minute powerplay (on a discretionary call, not automatic) almost half way through the 3rd period in a game that they were leading 4-2. If the Flames had potted one on that powerplay, they would have tidily swept the rest of the game into the W column. It was practically gift wrapped for the taking at that point.

I'm all for chewing out the refs for poor officiating, but at some point the onus is on the Flames for not putting the game away with a golden opportunity that the "clearly biased" refs put on a platter for them.

This. The 3rd period was all about a Flames team that was ahead, yet still lost composure when the Wings put the pressure on. I can't remember exactly, but I think that stupid, blatant, bear-hug of a holding penalty happened during their 4 minute power play. How dumb is that?

The radio broadcast of the game on the FAN 960 in Calgary said that Iginla could have received a d-o-g penalty, when he flipped the puck down the ice late in the third, and was lucky that he didn't. Truth in broadcasting.

Mickey Redmond said the samething!!! I was waiting for the woodbench to be thrown on the ice with all the penalties against Calgary! But all seemed legit to me! Calgary seems to be the Oakland Raiders of the NHL! There is a reason they are 8-10-3 or something close to that! Up 4-2 late in the third and can't seal the deal has nothing to do with the refs and everything to do with the players wearing the flaming C's on their jerseys!!

Why does this sound like the common LGW fan as well? I mean, if they don't do well, they lean on the officiating. There is no credit given to the team unless its a 6-0 blowout.

I hate it when people say this. It's been well established that the refs the past few seasons have had TERRIBLE calls against the Wings, and the San Jose series was the worst officiating we've ever witnessed. It wasn't just us making excuses, non-Wings fans agreed.

But for last night's example, when you play a physical style game and you're losing your grip on the game, you're going to take penalties. When you play a clean game like the Wings, you won't.

That must have been a real heartbreaker for Calgary fans last night. I cant blame them too much. That was one of the great endings I've seen in my life and I've been watching the wings for 20 years. I wish they would have let Abs and Iginla go though. He needed a couple fists in his face for slapping the puck down the ice.