• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

"We feel good with the people we have," Holland said

Rate this topic

FYl, just wanted to post this link. Other than getting a back up goalie, it looks like Holland is done for now.

http://detnews.com/article/20110704/SPORTS0103/107040346/1128/rss16

Looking at the depth chart in the article, I'm good with the team going into the 2011-12 season. I know we've had two straight 2nd round exits, but I think fatigue from the 2007-2009 playoff runs had something to do with it. I think some extra rest will help out next year.

Also, depending on revenues from this year, next year we already have $29 million cap space available.

“We like our team, but we’re ready to make another move or two—whether it’s a signing or a trade—to make our team better this summer,” Holland said.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/ken_holland_focuses_efforts_on_finding_a_new_back-up_goaltender/

He's not going to say "Damn we're in need of a top-tier d-man that I hope to get via trade." You know... because he doesn't want to get rail-roaded by the team he wants to trade with.

Before LGW has another "Kenny suckz!" uproar please read the quote below. In fact, the OP might want to edit and add this into the OP.

“We like our team, but we’re ready to make another move or two—whether it’s a signing or a trade—to make our team better this summer,” Holland said.

Reasons i'm optimistic:

I like the projected edge our D can now bring. With the exception of Lidstrom, every defensman is capable and likely to punish you at every opportunity.

The offense was 2nd last season, I don't see that big a drop off next year provided our new coaching staff can revamp the system we've been using since Bowman.

I do hope and expect to see Howard feed off his playoff performance and improve his regular season numbers.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tmr/comments/ken_holland_focuses_efforts_on_finding_a_new_back-up_goaltender/

He's not going to say "Damn we're in need of a top-tier d-man that I hope to get via trade." You know... because he doesn't want to get rail-roaded by the team he wants to trade with.

Long time no see drake, but if you keep on bringing info like this to the table than keep coming back... I really hope this is true and that a trade or two will be made.

Hudler for Hedberg and David Clarkson maybe? I would like that one, get another Mccarty and a solid backup

Long time no see drake, but if you keep on bringing info like this to the table than keep coming back... I really hope this is true and that a trade or two will be made.

Hudler for Hedberg and David Clarkson maybe? I would like that one, get another Mccarty and a solid backup

Thanks. I'm hoping we'll see Holland trade for Yandle. He's welcome to trade almost anyone for him. Yandle's going to be a stud for another decade. :thumbup:

thanks for highlighting this. No one will see it sadly :)

Looking at the lines/depth chart I have to say I'm pretty happy with what we have as long as we find a capable Back-up Goalie for Jimmy Howard and IMO that means NOT ReSigning Ozzie. Conks, Larsson or someone else. I only have one question. After looking at the lines in the article it has Brad Sturat Pairing with Nicklas Lidstrom on the Top Definsive line; is that what the Wings will ACTUALLY be going with and is that ideal or was the article just listing players in no paticular order except for positions?? I would almost rather see Kronwall or Big E team with Liddy. Kronner seems a little bit stronger but Big E could learn a lot from Liddy on that line thus making him a better D-man and a better signing in the long run.

Edited by Dimaline312000

Thanks. I'm hoping we'll see Holland trade for Yandle. He's welcome to trade almost anyone for him. Yandle's going to be a stud for another decade. :thumbup:

24, puts up points, not a *****. Plus, the Wings have had a really good look at him in the last 2 postseasons. He'd be an unbelievable addition to the Wings.

idk what young top defense men are rfa/ufa next year but i think holland needs to try to grab one of the few that are up for grabs right now.

if he tries to trade for one of them next year its going to cost them an arm and a leg

Yep.

I still don't like the Ericsson deal at all, but I like the White deal a lot and I'm at least neutral on the Commodore deal all things considered. The defensive coach is probably more important right now if we end up not making any more moves this summer.

And of course, I'm very happy with getting Eaves and Miller signed up again for a bit here. I think Eaves has a lot of untapped potential that we've yet to fully see. I'm thinking this year Hudler will be out of the way more one way or another (via trade or he simply won't get any benefit of the doubt if he doesn't produce...) and that could translate to a real opportunity for Eaves to jump up and make an impact. He's got some solid skill, a terrific work ethic and he's tough to play against on every shift. I could see him turning into a Dan Cleary type of guy in terms of development. And with Miller, he's got skill too and he proved that he can contribute last year despite being really frustrated, so hopefully he goes out and makes a splash this year. Those two deals are rock solid.

I'm expecting Osgood back at this point. They wouldn't do it if there were still serious concerns about his health, so I'm fine with it. I tend to think it wasn't nearly as big of an issue as it appeared so much as he was just pushing it too fast and too soon to try and get back when Howard was struggling. If Osgood can play, I don't think there's a better option because he's still a great mentor to Howard and you know he'll be dirt cheap and bring zero locker room issues. If Howard hadn't had such a strong playoff outing, I'd rather see them take a (huge) chance on signing Emery (into the Lidstrom school of Obedience, Discipline and Composure). But between the option of say Conklin and a healthy Osgood, I'd prefer Osgood.

As far as future deals this summer, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure Holland would like to make a move or two and will try to, but I'm not holding my breath. He's definitely not going to shout it to the heavens either way. I think he'll make a deal at some point though to improve the defense and perhaps even the offense, but I think it'll come in the November-December time-frame when a few teams start pulling out of the playoff race. He'll try to get in before there's all the deadline demand playing into things. He's got Hudler, Flip and E that he can afford to move if you ask me. Huds is all but worthless, E has a "rest of the NHL-friendly" contract and Flip would simply be a great addition to any team lacking disciplined, solid two-way centers.

We'll see...

You do know, the same people that ***** every year about the Wings spending up to the cap & not leaving room for trades at the deadline will be the same ones bitching if Kenny doesn't spend up to the cap before the start of training camp. At this point, I'm happy rolling with this roster into the season & see what opens up on the trade front until the deadline. No need to rush imo.

Reasons i'm optimistic:

I like the projected edge our D can now bring. With the exception of Lidstrom, every defensman is capable and likely to punish you at every opportunity.

The offense was 2nd last season, I don't see that big a drop off next year provided our new coaching staff can revamp the system we've been using since Bowman.

I do hope and expect to see Howard feed off his playoff performance and improve his regular season numbers.

Perfectly said. :thumbup:

You do know, the same people that ***** every year about the Wings spending up to the cap & not leaving room for trades at the deadline will be the same ones bitching if Kenny doesn't spend up to the cap before the start of training camp. At this point, I'm happy rolling with this roster into the season & see what opens up on the trade front until the deadline. No need to rush imo.

There's no reason to leave $7M for the trade deadline. $3M is plenty so we basically will have $4M to sign a backup and make another move.