• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#241 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

12 pages and plenty of trade ideas, 5 game skid, looks more like a Detroit Yacht Club than an NHL hockey club, not sure why this OP still has a neg 21(?). In the first ten minutes of the 2-1 OTL to Minni they showed how dominant they can be when they want to be.

Is it time yet to get someone in here who is hungry and will go all out and score some goals?

Exactly.

Time to get a legit player who is still hungry to win and prove themselves.

There arent a tonne of guys with anything left to prove on this team and I think thats a big part of it, our top guys are playing well.

Datsyuk and Lidstrom ahve been great, Franzen decent and Zetterberg just cant buy a goal. After that though there shouldnt be much job security.

Guys like Hudler, Filppula, Miller etc should not have job security in a league like this and the wings should be looking to upgrade.
A goal scorer under 30 would be good. Parise perfect, Bourque very solid, Ruutu decent.

These guys who are kind of part of the core can be moved and upgraded, add some size and scoring by acquiring a young sniper and this team will probably be a contender again

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#242 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

Exactly.

There arent a tonne of guys with anything left to prove on this team and I think thats a big part of it, our top guys are playing well.

Datsyuk and Lidstrom ahve been great, Franzen decent and Zetterberg just cant buy a goal. After that though there shouldnt be much job security.

Guys like Hudler, Filppula, Miller etc should not have job security in a league like this and the wings should be looking to upgrade.
A goal scorer under 30 would be good. Parise perfect, Bourque very solid, Ruutu decent.

These guys who are kind of part of the core can be moved and upgraded, add some size and scoring by acquiring a young sniper and this team will probably be a contender again

What do you think of my Hudler for Penner idea?

#243 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Honestly couldnt hurt.

Theyre both called lazy and everything, but at least when Penners game is on hes a 6'4 power forward.

Personally I wouldnt want him though and would rather save Hudler to use as a chip in a trade for someone a bit better.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#244 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

The difference is the Wings don't actually go after pretty much any trade/FA bait imaginable, unlike the Leafs.

And dallas27, I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but if you are (probably should use names instead of this girly passive aggressive method as I tend to skip over your posts due to them being full of pointless fluff), I find it pretty hilarious how easily you get mad over pixel debates. Lay off the huffing OxiClean there, Billy Mays, and maybe you'll find yourself throwing less pixel temper tantrums.

And saying

In 2007-08 the Red Wings' first 7 games were 4-2-1 (9 pts) -- pretty sure we remember how that season ended.

isn't pointless fluff? You can apply that to every single season in which they don't start well and it wouldn't matter. Because, well, what happened in 2007-08 doesn't matter. This just in: It's 2087-2088 and the Wings are off to a dreadful, slow start but are poised to win the Stanley Cup because they did in 2007-08.

All you have been able to do is make, what you think, funny little quips towards me without actually responding to anything I say.

You can still try "to make me eat my words." Again, those words were the past doesn't matter, especially 5 years ago, but if history does matter then the Red Wings will lose in the playoffs, probably to San Jose, because that's what's happened in the past two years. Have at it. You won't though. Instead of admitting defeat you'll find some smart ass comment to say to me.

You are aware that when you were talking with Eva about Samsonov it was me that suggested it first, right? Thought all I had to say was "pointless fluff." In case you skipped over it I said that he comes into my work quite a bit and no teams are after him. He won't be the 70 point player he was but I think he can be a smaller, quicker Danny Cleary and help spark the offense.

How's Ford doing again? That's another topic you will yet avoid and rather try to blast me because you know you are wrong, you just don't know how to deal with it. Instead, the most you'll come up with is something along the lines of "stop playing in the snow piles Whitney har har har har har har."

http://en.wikipedia....vehicle_recalls

Sit down and shut up

Edited by dallas27, 02 November 2011 - 07:03 PM.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#245 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

And saying isn't pointless fluff? You can apply that to every single season in which they don't start well and it wouldn't matter. Because, well, what happened in 2007-08 doesn't matter. This just in: It's 2087-2088 and the Wings are off to a dreadful, slow start but are poised to win the Stanley Cup because they did in 2007-08.

Duh, maybe you overlooked the fact that the record was stated because the OP pointed to our record as an indicator that trades need to be made. Nice oversight there. Self owned? It's a valid comparison if someone is talking about a team's record this season after 7 games that the comparison be made to a Cup winning season after 7 games which was worse than this. I don't expect you to understand this comparison though, just another nonsensical post full of 75% fluff, 20% personal attack, and 5% relevant argument that still purposely obfuscates something out of some personal ex-girlfriend attitude.

All you have been able to do is make, what you think, funny little quips towards me without actually responding to anything I say.

You can still try "to make me eat my words." Again, those words were the past doesn't matter, especially 5 years ago, but if history does matter then the Red Wings will lose in the playoffs, probably to San Jose, because that's what's happened in the past two years. Have at it. You won't though. Instead of admitting defeat you'll find some smart ass comment to say to me.

You are aware that when you were talking with Eva about Samsonov it was me that suggested it first, right? Thought all I had to say was "pointless fluff." In case you skipped over it I said that he comes into my work quite a bit and no teams are after him. He won't be the 70 point player he was but I think he can be a smaller, quicker Danny Cleary and help spark the offense.

^- this, all fluff, and from my last post.. "I tend to skip over your posts due to them being full of pointless fluff".

Followed by: "I find it pretty hilarious how easily you get mad over pixel debates. Lay off the huffing OxiClean there, Billy Mays, and maybe you'll find yourself throwing less pixel temper tantrums."

How's Ford doing again? That's another topic you will yet avoid and rather try to blast me because you know you are wrong, you just don't know how to deal with it. Instead, the most you'll come up with is something along the lines of "stop playing in the snow piles Whitney har har har har har har."

http://en.wikipedia....vehicle_recalls

Sit down and shut up

If you want to get into a debate about Ford bailouts (wasn't this like 3 years ago?) again, I'd be more than willing in another topic, but in typical douche27 fashion, you ignored the fact that one of the biggest reasons I didn't want any company to get bailout money is that government shouldn't be in the business of saving failing businesses and should stay out, much like the issue of the Phoenix Coyotes. I notice you conveniently ignored that s***, so take your "sit down and shut up" and sit down and spin on it, OxiClean boy.

Edited by Shoreline, 02 November 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#246 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

I would like to see Holland trading for that kid Franson, it seems like he is on the market...

Trading Hudler is possible at this point trading Hudler+pick for Evander Kane (rumours that he would like to leave Jets)... It sounds crazy but Holland could do it. If Burke can trade junk for Lombardi and Franson then I don't see why Holland can't abuse another GM... :)

Exactly.

Parise - I think we will have to wait next year for him.
Plenty rumours around Bourque so I think that he will be traded very soon.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#247 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

IMO Franzen is the only player that would yield a good-enough return. Franzen for Parise and a first or second would be good. I love Mule, but I'm worried about his contract length. Maybe throw one of Eaves, Emmerton, etc in for Clarkson as well.

IMO no trade is needed, but if a trade is made I'd like it to be a big move.

#248 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

According to "CBC.ca : Elliot Friedman" Morrow COULD BE available.

http://www.toutsurle...quitter-dallas/

IMO Franzen is the only player that would yield a good-enough return. Franzen for Parise and a first or second would be good. I love Mule, but I'm worried about his contract length. Maybe throw one of Eaves, Emmerton, etc in for Clarkson as well.

IMO no trade is needed, but if a trade is made I'd like it to be a big move.

I agree - 3rd/4th liners will not bring much at this point... IF a trade is to be made go for big trade.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#249 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

According to "CBC.ca : Elliot Friedman" Morrow COULD BE available.

http://www.toutsurle...quitter-dallas/

I agree - 3rd/4th liners will not bring much at this point... IF a trade is to be made go for big trade.

Isn't Dallas playing well this season?

Why would they trade Morrow?

Edited by GMRwings1983, 02 November 2011 - 08:33 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#250 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

Isn't Dallas playing well this season?

Why would they trade Morrow?

Theyve had a good start because Lehtonen is playing like god in net but Morrow would be seriously what Detriots top lines have been lacking.

Doan, Morrow and Bourque could all be available and likely wouldnt take us mortgaging the future to attain. They all also play with and have solid size, which this teams top 6 could desperately use.

Parise is the best option but I think youre looking at Filppula, Tatar or Kindl and a first to get those talks started. I would make the trade though

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#251 NBCnothingbutcrosby

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:59 PM

There were exactly 29 30+ goalscorers last year and Dan Cleary scored 26 goals in 68 games. He was also 35th in the league when it came to goals scored per game as he did that at a .38 rate.

29 30+ goal scorers is just about one per team. There just aren't that many of them around. Personally, I like having Zetterbger, Datsyuk, and Franzen that all have the ability to score 30+ when healthy and a guy like Cleary that can give you 20+ to supplement them.

If you think a top-6 forward has to score 30+ you're just flat out wrong. On top of that, Cleary is a guy who is used both in the top-6 and as a checker on the 3rd line. He is not a mainstay in the top-6. He's about as versatile player as there is in today's NHL.

if you honestly think Cleary deserves/ or should be a top-6 forward... [facepalm]. Hes scored 1 goal all season woopty freaking do. 3 million a year is a million shy of a top-6 forward salary; I would in a heartbeat get rid of Cleary and Hudler if I could. This team needs an overhaul in the forward department... we have in my eyes 2 top-6 forwards Datsyuk and Franzen. Zetterberg has taken a step back big time if you look at tape from in in the 2008 season, and look at tape from last year's playoffs and this season. His play is night and day. I dont consider Cleary "versatile" he's slow, he finishes checks (good) and scores garbage goals ocassionally. Once again he's not worth his money... if thats versatile then so is 80% of the league. He sucks on the PP and PK and he also cant fight worth s***.
Not now chief, I'm in the zone.

#252 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

if you honestly think Cleary deserves/ or should be a top-6 forward... [facepalm]. Hes scored 1 goal all season woopty freaking do. 3 million a year is a million shy of a top-6 forward salary; I would in a heartbeat get rid of Cleary and Hudler if I could. This team needs an overhaul in the forward department... we have in my eyes 2 top-6 forwards Datsyuk and Franzen. Zetterberg has taken a step back big time if you look at tape from in in the 2008 season, and look at tape from last year's playoffs and this season. His play is night and day. I dont consider Cleary "versatile" he's slow, he finishes checks (good) and scores garbage goals ocassionally. Once again he's not worth his money... if thats versatile then so is 80% of the league. He sucks on the PP and PK and he also cant fight worth s***.

You again. I threw some logic at you and you ignored me yet again, choosing instead to scamper off and return to nonsensically scream again at a different time. What's your deal?

#253 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

I just hate when wef****** lose.

#254 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

If the Wings make a deal for Morrow I don't know how I will describe my satisfaction.

Posted Image

#255 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

While I don't doubt that Holland will be actively working the phones over the next month or two, even if something goes through, I just don't know if I believe that it'll be the mystical answer we all seem to seek when talking about trades and "new blood." I guess what I'm saying is that if it takes bringing in a figurehead of sorts to represent being "hungry," then, well, I guess I just think that's bulls***. And pathetic. This increasing problem revolving around "effort" and "hunger" is an organizational problem, and I don't believe that one person will truly fix that. It's really a silly idea when you think about it.

And what does it say now?

I've talked about the potential for a trade tonight, and again, I am getting to the point where I'm expecting something to happen. But don't be confused: I don't care.

Why didn't they do that years ago? Why do they keep investing in guys just because they've already invested something in them? It's a bigger waste to let their value burn out in your hands. If it's not "HELL YEAH," it should be "no." Get out while the getting's good.

Why don't actual results take precedence over potential? If they did, they would've made trades or different signings or retentions over the last few years that they didn't.

Any isolated moves they make now will just look desperate. This team has the pieces in place to be good and even great, but there's something missing. And while players and chemistry are party of the equation, this has become an organizational problem. More than any trading or rebuilding that is done, they need to start thinking differently.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#256 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:27 AM

Nooooo....

I see a lot of Kings games and honestly having Penner would be just like having another Bertuzzi, at best. He doesn't compete hard and doesn't use his size nearly as effectively as he should.

I was such a fan of this guy when he broke into the league, but he just doesn't have the work ethic and compete level, as Babs would put it.

Hudler's no better in terms of points, but he at least works hard. He's just small and slow.

#257 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

If the Wings make a deal for Morrow I don't know how I will describe my satisfaction.

Morrow is my favorite Star. As much as I'd love to have him here, it wouldn't make sense for Dallas right now.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#258 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

While I don't doubt that Holland will be actively working the phones over the next month or two, even if something goes through, I just don't know if I believe that it'll be the mystical answer we all seem to seek when talking about trades and "new blood." I guess what I'm saying is that if it takes bringing in a figurehead of sorts to represent being "hungry," then, well, I guess I just think that's bulls***. And pathetic. This increasing problem revolving around "effort" and "hunger" is an organizational problem, and I don't believe that one person will truly fix that. It's really a silly idea when you think about it.

And what does it say now?

I've talked about the potential for a trade tonight, and again, I am getting to the point where I'm expecting something to happen. But don't be confused: I don't care.

Why didn't they do that years ago? Why do they keep investing in guys just because they've already invested something in them? It's a bigger waste to let their value burn out in your hands. If it's not "HELL YEAH," it should be "no." Get out while the getting's good.

Why don't actual results take precedence over potential? If they did, they would've made trades or different signings or retentions over the last few years that they didn't.

Any isolated moves they make now will just look desperate. This team has the pieces in place to be good and even great, but there's something missing. And while players and chemistry are party of the equation, this has become an organizational problem. More than any trading or rebuilding that is done, they need to start thinking differently.

This is, perhaps, the best post so far in this thread. Our loyalty to our own players goes too far and the management missed the point when changes had to be made. We have a problem now so the management needs to respond somehow. I think some trades could a be good start. Trading someone like Franzen or Filppula or Hudler may send a message to other underperforming players. In addition to that I think we need to drop some dead weight in Miller, Commodore (yes, I know we just signed him), perhaps Eaves and call up Tatar, Smith and/or Nyquist to be regulars. I see no other ways to principally change the situation. And here I mean not to just stop this slump (it will stop eventually, anyway) but to change the way how this team is built.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#259 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

Would it go something like...
Posted Image

Edited by dragonballgtz, 04 November 2011 - 01:15 AM.

#260 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:26 AM

On the other hand, the trade worked out really well for Vancouver:

Wild 5
Canucks 1

SOG:
Wild 45
Canucks 25

That's right. The Minnesota Wild put up 45 shots on the Canucks. That team is really lookiing like they miss Erhoff.