#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

POPULAR

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

:lol:

I'll never forget that nice unseasonably warm sunny day (kinda like what we're experiencing now)...Went to the gym; had a great work out (mind you I had the game on my mind, and thinking how much I detested evrything about the Avs only intensified my time at the gym)...Went to my parents (was dog sitting) to walk the pooch for a good hour (wanted him tuckered out so I could watch the game without any interruptions)...My buddy (die-hard Flyers fan) came over as well as my lil'sister (because of my influence she became a Wings fan); ordered some take out pizza, and picked up a case of beer for the game.

What a night that was :thumbup:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#3 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

:lol:

I'll never forget that nice unseasonably warm sunny day (kinda like what we're experiencing now)...Went to the gym; had a great work out (mind you I had the game on my mind, and thinking how much I detested evrything about the Avs only intensified my time at the gym)...Went to my parents (was dog sitting) to walk the pooch for a good hour (wanted him tuckered out so I could watch the game without any interruptions)...My buddy (die-hard Flyers fan) came over as well as my lil'sister (because of my influence she became a Wings fan); ordered some take out pizza, and picked up a case of beer for the game.

What a night that was :thumbup:

Great story :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I was in 2nd grade at the time and this was before I was a full-time Wings fan, so I never got to experience watching this live.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#4 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

Someone should ask Adrian Dater what he's doing to celebrate Happy Turtle Day!

#5 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Great story :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I was in 2nd grade at the time and this was before I was a full-time Wings fan, so I never got to experience watching this live.

What made it more "special" was the simple fact that I'd be able to watch the game...Living in Wisconsin meant I needed cable tv (I don't recall DireTV nor DISH being around in the 90's, and there certainly wasn't NHL Center Ice back then), and lucky for us ESPN 2 carried the game that night (in those days only a handful of Red Wing games were aired each month); I'll never forget Gary Thorne, and Bill Clement getting all "geeked up" as the game progressed - they too were waiting for something to happen :lol:

When the game ended with a Red Wing victory in OT - I truly felt our chances of seeing them hoist the Cup later that summer multiplied considerably...That was a massive bonding moment, and as a fan of the Detroit Red Wings I was so proud of them.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#6 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

I didn't even have cable back then, and could only get a couple of channels with a fuzzy picture. None carried hockey. I remember seeing this game for the first time in its entirety. After reading Blood Feud, and after seeing video clips, it was like seeing a piece of history unfold. Amazing.

Seeing video clips still gives me the warm fuzzies.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#7 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

That night was about making a statment and I think the Avs heard it loud and clear. What a night that was, I didn't go to sleep till after 2AM that night becasue I was still so hocked up with adrenaline. That was just so great to see, I don't have to see any fights in a game to call it a great game but that night was special and it NEEDED to happen!! The Road To The 1st Of 4 Stanley Cups in Recent History!!!!
Go Wings!!!!

#8 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

My Dad and I have always shared our closest connection through Red Wings hockey and I remember watching this with him. I was 10 when this happened and we were both so ready for this. The year before was my first full season as a Wings fan and I think this is the moment that cemented my fandom. I remember being so distraught by the Kris Draper injury and the Red Wings' playoff exit the year before and this was the sort of 'good guys win' poetic justice I needed back then.

This, the '97, and the '08 Stanley Cups are my greatest memories of Red Wings hockey.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#9 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

I was at this game with my dad!

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#10 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

The NHL Network just had a Top Ten NHL Rivalries program yesterday, the Wings/Avs were 4. Of course the played footage from Drapers injury and 3/26/97 and its still tears me up a bit. Despite the great teams of 95 and 96, this is what gave the Wings dynasty their identity and pushed them over the hump end route to Lord Stanley's Cup. I still love the Wings and watch nearly every game good or bad, but teams since have been missing the swagger that ensemble had. Our team needs a rallying point!
RIP #24

#11 RedWingsExpert1988

RedWingsExpert1988

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

that team had some of the best balance and players I have ever seen. miss most of those players and would die to go back in time and watch them play again

#12 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

I like Turtles!

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#13 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

Brings a smile to my face watching that. Dmac :clap:
IPB Image

#14 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

I still love hockey but boy oh boy do I wish it was what it used to be. Those were seriously "the good ol' days".

Posted Image

#15 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thanks SO much for putting this on here. I too saw it live (ah, the wondrous days of Clement and Thorne and ESPN), and it lives in my mind like it was yesterday. I still pull that DVD out on my bad days or during a Wings' bad run. Or if it's a sunny Monday in Texas! :lol:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#16 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Man, I was a senior in high school. I was still PISSED about what happend in the the playoffs the year before. A few of the fellas came over to watch the game. We took a some big time bong rips!!!! We were yelling so loud when #25 did his thing the lady who lived next door called the cops. The cops were extra pissed cause I did not come to the door when they showed up. After a bunch a bad noise they told me to keep it down and have a good night and I did!!! Great game!!!!!! I love The Red Wings!!!!!

Edited by crispychris, 26 March 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#17 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well, I just turned 27 two weeks earlier and my friend (I've known since we were 12) calls up and says, hey I got a birthday gift for you, let's go to the hockey game tonight. He wasn't and still isn't the biggest Wings fan, I told him it may be a bad game to go to since the Wings haven't beat the Av's yet all season, but I am not going to pass up on a Wings game. Well, you guys don't need to be told about it, you have all lived it in one way or another...my favorite part of this whole game is when the brawl happened with Vernon, the Wings were losing and my friend looked at me and said, I don't even care if they lose this game, this is the best game I have ever been to! And so it was Dave, and so it was! It is still one of the best birthday gifts ever!

EDIT: Jeez! at 5:37 of that video look at how young Holmstrom looks! Yikes! I like him in 15 better than 96...wish he would have kept it!

Edited by LeftWinger, 26 March 2012 - 11:59 AM.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Well, I just turned 27 two weeks earlier and my friend (I've known since we were 12) calls up and says, hey I got a birthday gift for you, let's go to the hockey game tonight. He wasn't and still isn't the biggest Wings fan, I told him it may be a bad game to go to since the Wings haven't beat the Av's yet all season, but I am not going to pass up on a Wings game. Well, you guys don't need to be told about it, you have all lived it in one way or another...my favorite part of this whole game is when the brawl happened with Vernon, the Wings were losing and my friend looked at me and said, I don't even care if they lose this game, this is the best game I have ever been to! And so it was Dave, and so it was! It is still one of the best birthday gifts ever!

EDIT: Jeez! at 5:37 of that video look at how young Holmstrom looks! Yikes! I like him in 15 better than 96...wish he would have kept it!

Bowman - "Why did you change your number to 96?"
Holmstrom - "It's the year I came to the NHL from Sweden."
Bowman - "Better change it to 97 because it's the year you're going back."

#19 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

The single best game ever. Had everything anyone could want in a hockey game. Tons of goals, big hits, a huge brawl, blood. I mean that game was the definition of hatred. We don't see many rivalries last in the NHL anymore, since players come and go more often through free agency it seems. I want to get one of those plaques with McCarty pummeling on Claude as he is turtling. I really miss those teams from years ago. Happy Turtle Day LGW! :boxing:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#20 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Crazy what happens in 15 years. No more pay per view hockey... no more hate for Colorado, no more fights like this, no more amazing stories.

All we have now is some Crosby love....

Can I get a time machine please?
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.