• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Shea Weber fined for Zetterberg "headslam"

Rate this topic

If they suspend Bitz, it's a conspiracy. Low impact player doing wrong vs high impact player doing wrong. Hey kids, do you like violence?

I bet Bitz gets a game.

I honestly think the NHL gets a kick out of being inconsistent because it throws fans into an outrage and makes them talk endlessly about their (NHL's) product. Any publicity is good publicity

"This was a reckless and reactionary play on which Weber threw a glancing punch and then shoved Zetterberg's head into the glass," said NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety and Hockey Operations Brendan Shanahan. "As is customary whenever Supplemental Discipline is being considered, we contacted Detroit following the game and were informed that Zetterberg did not suffer an apparent injury and should be in the lineup for Game 2.

"This play and the fine that addressed it will be significant factors in assessing any incidents involving Shea Weber throughout the remainder of the playoffs."

soo... Talk s*** about the Penguins and get fined $20,000. Try to break someones face, get fined $2,500. hmmm?

Love this. Epic failure (does failure imply that justice was actually giving a fair shake? because this seems like a pretty blatent pass for one of the NHL's small market stars).

That's where a suspension should be served then. There's no doubt that this incident is FAR worse than what Tortorella did to the Penguins/Crosby/Malkin. So if a $2,500 fine doesn't serve as the proper discipline, then a suspension should pick up where the fine leaves off.

Agreed.

I don't understand why they're letting him get away with this.

A player, after the game is over, punches a guy in the back of the head, then WWE slams his head into the dasher. Weber knew that whatever penalty he got wouldn't matter, because the game is over.

Should the league not send a message and say that the end of the game isn't freebie time?

Reminds me of the time Malkin was required to be suspended under the rules and somehow wasn't.

Weber was already fined once this season for a hit from behind. But I'm sure NEXT time they'll take into consideration his repeat offender status. <_<

I guess in order to become a repeat offender you need to be suspended at least once. And every time he is doing something bad he is not a repeat offender because he has not been suspended jist fined. They could use this circle forever.

Are people seriously asking Bert to fight a younger, stronger, and bigger player than himself (risking injury to himself) to avenge a player who was not even injured?

No, no, no. That makes no sense. Bert is too valuable to be doing that...

... have Ericsson or Cleary do it.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Are people seriously asking Bert to fight a younger, stronger, and bigger player than himself (risking injury to himself) to avenge a player who was not even injured?

just have Emmerton run Weber from behind...it would be an advantage in that Weber would be injured and Emmerton would be out of the line up. Double bonus for the Wings

I am not surprised by Weber getting just fined. If Franzen was fined or suspended for that punch on Montador, I would have been more apt to believe that Weber should have been suspended, but thats beside the point. I don't condone the actions of Weber, but if a Wings player did this to one of the Preds players after the game, then the Wings fans would be laughing about it today. Just like when it was funny when Franzen punched Montador, and many fans were laughing about that. Blackhawk fans were butthurt over it.

In the end, I would love to have Weber playing for the Wings in a couple years. This incident was a blip on the radar. He is a top defenseman that would work in very well with the Wings.

You clearly haven't compared the PK stats from when E was injured to those since he returned. Ericsson's too important to the PK to send out on a headhunting mission.

So let's see if I get this...

Weber INTENTIONALLY slams Z's face into the boards/glass with the intention of injuring him. There is NO OTHER EXPLAINABLE REASON for doing what he did other than to injure him. BUT, Z was not injured. So therefore, no suspension.

That makes about as much sense as me intentionally trying to kill Bettman with a 9mm shot to the face, but if he survives, I should not be prosecuted, because you can't punish "intent"... RIGHT???

***NOTE: I have no intention of shooting Bettman with a 9mm, I was using that as an extreme example. Plus you'd want to use something more like a shotgun instead, anyway.

Edited by SpiritFan

I guess in order to become a repeat offender you need to be suspended at least once. And every time he is doing something bad he is not a repeat offender because he has not been suspended jist fined. They could use this circle forever.

I could be wrong but I thought when a player was fined that put them into "repeat offender" status. I swear I heard Shanny or someone saying it as they were explaining some fine, practically acknowledging that amount is a slap on the wrist.

Matt Cooke just got a little boner. I bet on Friday he takes off his skate and tries to cut Giroux's head off.

The funny part is that Cooke doesn't even do crap like that anymore.

But you're right. Once he finds out it's pocket change he may go back to his old ways...

I could be wrong but I thought when a player was fined that put them into "repeat offender" status. I swear I heard Shanny or someone saying it as they were explaining some fine, practically acknowledging that amount is a slap on the wrist.

Sadly, I think you have to be suspended to be considered a repeat offender. After a bit of Googling...

Status as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every eighteen months. For example, where a player is suspended for the first time, he is a repeat offender if he is suspended again within eighteen months of the first incident. If he is not suspended a second time within this eighteen month period, he is no longer a repeat offender for disciplinary purposes.

you're right but this is a menthal thing. People tend to forget circumstances and will remember that it wasn't suspension just 2500. Then, next time he'll get no more than one game even if something serious will happen.

https://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance/status/190499388324450304

Shea Weber on the league's decision to fine rather than suspend: "I'm just glad [Zetterberg] wasn't hurt. We're focused on Game 2."

Yeah, because you showed such great concern for Zetterberg's health when you grabbed his head and drove it into the glass, ever so gently and lovingly...

I think I've changed my mind. I do not want Weber on this team as a free agent.

You are correct.

A fine counts and the infraction counts as an "offense". So the next offense would make that player a repeat offender.

If this was the regular season, Weber gets suspended. I guess Shanny felt suspending him for a playoff game would be too harsh of a penalty and just went with the fine.

I think you guys got hosed. He should be gone for a game.

But hey...I picked Nashville on our playoff challenge contest...so I'm not upset about the decision. ;)

You clearly haven't compared the PK stats from when E was injured to those since he returned. Ericsson's too important to the PK to send out on a headhunting mission.

That's weird. I thought I typed "fight" into my keyboard.