• This topic is locked This topic is locked
277 replies to this topic

#121 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

So he made a big deal about speaking to reporters to tell us that he hasn't made a decision yet? Drama queen.

I don't blame the guy at all. In fact, I respect him for taking his time and heading home to speak to his family about the matter. It's a huge decision that none of us here truly understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm as anxious to know as anyone, but unless this drags on for over a week, I don't think the guy is doing anything wrong.

The only thing wrong here in my book is people giving these guys s*** for taking their time to decide where they want to call home for the rest of their careers in the NHL, as if that's such an insignificant decision.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#122 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

MY NAME IS PHIL DAVISON!

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#123 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

It's scary that Suter can't make a decision before Parise signs cause I'm pretty sure he's not signing here does that mean suter decides where he goes based on Parise decision?

#124 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I don't blame the guy at all. In fact, I respect him for taking his time and heading home to speak to his family about the matter. It's a huge decision that none of us here truly understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm as anxious to know as anyone, but unless this drags on for over a week, I don't think the guy is doing anything wrong.

The only thing wrong here in my book is people giving these guys s*** for taking their time to decide where they want to call home for the rest of their careers in the NHL, as if that's such an insignificant decision.

As if this is the only time he's had to consider this? It ain't like he's suddenly been put on the f***in spot to decide the rest of his future. Pick a team ****** and make it snappy!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#125 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

WHat af****** ass hole to hold a presser to say he isn't saying anything. The new Lebron. Go to hell. What an awful offseason... I CANNOT BELIEVE I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!!!

LOL

Deep breaths..... you don't want to have a heart attack, now!

#126 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

As if this is the only time he's had to consider this? It ain't like he's suddenly been put on the f***in spot to decide the rest of his future. Pick a team ****** and make it snappy!

esteef

lol right. "Pick a team already and stop holding ME in suspense!"

#127 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

And this is why, in the new CBA, the NHL really needs to institute a week or two for teams to negotiate with UFAs before they're allowed to sign.

Random thought: Do you think the delay is to allow Craig Leipold the time to check the sofa cushions for more change so he doesn't get out bid for Parise? :colgate:

Edited by ogreslayer, 02 July 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#128 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Oh no, I can't make up my mind. It's all so hard. On one hand I want to play with my BFF Sidney. Sure is a lot of upside to playing on that line. Marty Brodeur won't STOP calling me since he re-signed. I like New Jersey buuuuuuuut I"m from Minnesota and boy would it be dandy to go back home. Yes, back home would be nice.

ENOUGH! Jesus Zach, you saw this coming, you had to. You knew 20 teams would line up and you had to know enormous amounts would be discussed. Didn't you discuss this with your agent? This smells to me as of now no matter who gets him he's going to have a rough transition if he's still this conflicted.

You don't think things get more complicated when the reality of the decision starts to set in?

You don't think given New Jersey's complicated ownership situation that it's not adding another layer of complication for him? He likely does want to stay in NJ in many ways, which is totally fair and reasonable, but he likely has some very fair and reasonable concerns that are hard to sort through. He'd be taking less money to play on a team that likely will not be able to stay competitive in the coming years.

Then you have the other teams likely in the mix: Detroit, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philadelphia...

Minnesota is going "home" for him, and from what the Wild brass has said, they're certainly willing to pay him more than enough money to make it worth his while to come "home." But the Wild aren't exactly a contender now, are they? Difficult decision.

Pittsburgh has the Crosby angle working for them. Sid and Parise have history and Sid's arguably the face of the game right now. Pittsburgh also has the Crosby angle working against them. Crosby's a hard check away from retirement and given his recent contract and the Pens overall financial situation, I'd bet that the Pens offer is for significantly less money than any other team in the mix.

Then you've got Chicago, Detroit and Philadelphia. All teams are capable of being contenders; two of them have won the Cup in the last five years and one has made it to the Semi's and Finals in the same span. All teams have likely thrown big money at him, and all are attractive destinations in many ways. All three have positives and negatives though as well.

Bottom line, I don't think this is an easy decision for him, and no matter how many times you play it in your head, until you have to face the reality and actually sort through the deals and talk to the teams (which you cannot do before July 1, it's all merely informed conjecture/speculation/fantasy/darts...give the guy time. I expect he'll make a decision by tomorrow at 6 PM, just two days and change past the start of free agency.

Two days in which he must decide what the next 10-12 or more years of his life will look like. I think we fans can manage for another 24 hours.

And hell, it's better news than him signing in Pittsburgh, isn't it? Count your blessings, there's still hope!

esteef

See above.

And this is why, in the new CBA, the NHL really needs to institute a week or two for teams to negotiate with UFAs before they're allowed to sign.

Concur. I started adding this to my previous long post but cut it as it was already getting long. It's silly that we put so much added pressure on these guys to decide their futures just because Twitter exists and no one knows how to wait for anything anymore.

I'd like to see anyone here have to make a major life decision of comparable weight as swiftly as they'd like to see Parise make his decision.

#129 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,087 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

This man speaks the truth.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#130 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Aww, I feel so bad for the little gazillionairre having to decide which city he wants to eat out of his hand for the next umpteen years. Boy he's sure got it rough. :thumbdown:

esteef

#131 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

starting to think we should just do Semin+Ryan. We have the pieces to land Ryan who is younger and has a high ceiling. I also think that we should start giving Semin the attention he deserves before he goes to a bottom feeder that went all in. Then we are left with nothing but Sammy and Tootoo....

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#132 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Aww, I feel so bad for the little gazillionairre having to decide which city he wants to eat out of his hand for the next umpteen years. Boy he's sure got it rough. :thumbdown:

esteef

No one's saying he's got it rough. They're saying give the guy a few days to sort through his options now that his options are concrete. There's nothing wrong with that, at all.

Entitlement

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An entitlement is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation. A "right" is itself an entitlement associated with a moral or social principle, such that an "entitlement" is a provision made in accordance with legal framework of a society. Typically, entitlements are laws based on concepts of principle ("rights") which are themselves based in concepts of social equality or enfranchisement.
In a casual sense, the term "entitlement" refers to a notion or belief that one (or oneself) is deserving of some particular reward or benefit[1]—if given without deeper legal or principled cause, the term is often given with pejorative connotation (e.g. a "sense of entitlement").

Who has a bigger entitlement issue right now?

Guy A, who wants a few days to decide where to work for the next 10-12+ years and where he'll start his family or Guy B, who is posting on a message board pissed off at Guy A for not making an instant decision.

Edited by gcom007, 02 July 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#133 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

No one's saying he's got it rough. They're saying give the guy a few days to sort through his options now that his options are concrete. There's nothing wrong with that, at all.

Who has a bigger entitlement issue right now?

Guy A, who wants a few days to decide where to work for the next 10-12+ years and where he'll start his family or Guy B, who is posting on a message board pissed off at Guy A for not making an instant decision.

You know where you can stick your definition?

esteef

#134 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Time to move on from Parise. July has been coming all along. He has had plenty of time to consider where whe wants to go even before July 1. At the prices being discussed for him I would move on and beat the rush to get the best available forwards. It will be even more important if we don't land Sutter. I realize these are kids, but it's a little pathetic. It would be different if they didn't have months or weeks to consider what has the most value for themselves.

#135 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

So is parise really choosing between 2 teams? if so which ones? The thread title seems misleading otherwise...

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#136 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

esteef

Womp womp.

"Mark Masters @markhmasters Parise on taking his time: 'It's such a long-term, important decision, you have to make sure you look at everything'"

"Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun Agree RT @CraigCustance: Why are people mad at Parise? He's one of the most conscientious players . He's earned right to take his time."

#137 Tman77

Tman77

Go Wings!

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

esteef

LOL. I`ve always loved Esteef and his opinions. I usually agree. :tounge:

Edited by Tman77, 02 July 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#138 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

This is pathetic, if I'm a free agent I would all ready have an idea where I would want to go play.

#139 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Time to move on from Parise. July has been coming all along. He has had plenty of time to consider where whe wants to go even before July 1. At the prices being discussed for him I would move on and beat the rush to get the best available forwards. It will be even more important if we don't land Sutter. I realize these are kids, but it's a little pathetic. It would be different if they didn't have months or weeks to consider what has the most value for themselves.

Doan's not doing anything until next week and Semin would be dumb to sign before Parise as his stock will go up as soon as Parise's off the market and the losers look to FA Plan B. The lower tier guys aren't affected by this. There's little to see here. Despite what the foolish rumor mongers desperately try to suggest, there just aren't that many dominoes waiting to fall this off-season.

#140 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

So is parise really choosing between 2 teams? if so which ones? The thread title seems misleading otherwise...

No one knows jack right now. It's been amusing though. Everyone's put their Pop Tart in the toaster and are pissed that the toaster hasn't pop up yet.