• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

I'm not usually one to start new topics, but after revisiting a long-standing discussion with my dad, I was curious as to the thoughts of everyone here.

I have seen a lot of players come and go during my time as a Red Wings fan, and normally I am able to embrace every player that walks through the doors of the Joe with open arms. They become "ours," regardless of past team affiliation or douchebaggery.

The one exception to this for me is my unending, irrational, fiery hatred of Brett Hull. I hate that he ever wore a Wings jersey. When he would take the ice, I would pretend it was Dougie Brown skating around as to not succumb to a Rage!stroke. To this day, I still roll my eyes when I see pictures of him in the winged wheel. I get people hating on players like Lebderp, and I get people spouting hatred when a trade is first announced or a player first comes to the D--but has anyone else just not been able to shake a ridiculous dislike for a contributing, well-respected member of the team?

Posted Image

Posted Image

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#2 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

I felt the same way in the beginning but it changed pretty fast if I recall correctly... He shined on the two kids and the old goat line, helped showcase what Dats was able to do well as grooming Z into his out of nowhere role. Hull scored 30, 37 & 25 goals in his 3 years here, not too shabby if you ask me, for an old goat that is...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#3 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

I didnt like paul coffey for one minute of his tenure with Detroit.

#4 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Wow... I guess I don't really have one.

#5 CaptainCaveMan

CaptainCaveMan

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Cujo. I Never Liked him.

#6 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

Ulf Samuelsson and Uwe Krupp were guys I never got behind wearing the Winged Wheel.

Edited by egroen, 18 August 2012 - 01:50 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#7 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Wow... I guess I don't really have one.

My pick if I had to: Ray Whitney because he just didn't seem to 'fit' here.

#8 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

Let me be the first of many, Sean Avery. Screw him.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#9 wingfan91

wingfan91

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

Mattheiu Schneider. It seemed like every time he touched the puck, regardless of location, he was teeing it up for the glory goal. He had to have more awful shots in a little over two seasons with us than any other dman in the history of the franchise...

#10 CapnSmitty

CapnSmitty

You and The Capn, make it happen!

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Derian Hatcher, was the epitome of a pylon in his time here, and then it didn't help that he blew out his knee really early on.

#11 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

For absolutely no good reason whatsoever, I hated Marion Hossa before he came here. I think it was that he was just too good. I didn't hate him on a Pronger level, but I really didn't like the guy.

He won me over pretty quickly and I'd welcome him back for the right price.

#12 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hasek. It wasn't even so much I disliked him -- it was more the fact that he wasn't Ozzie. I could never really get behind fully supporting Dom in net because I had grown to like Osgood so much over the years.

Needless to say, the 2008 playoffs with the Ozzie storyline is a favorite moment of mine.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#13 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

As much as I like the guy as well as the acquisition at first, Modano coming to Detroit was ultimately a mistake. When I see him wearing the Winged Wheel and think of the injury, I get so bummed that he had to close out his career in such a way.

#14 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Let me be the first of many, Sean Avery. Screw him.

I disagree just because back when he was here, he was nowhere near as big of a douchebag as he is now. while that causes a bit of regret, i dont harbor the same will as someone that already was a total ****** that we decided to bring in.

personally, i think its easy to go for guys like hatcher and krupp. mostly because of how little they both played when they got here. thats why i think its so easy for folks to get past guys like hull or chelios; even though they were far less liked by our fans, their contributions while they were here eased that pain.

for my pick, i will go with lang. while he did score over 100 points in his 2 full seasons, i didnt like his compete level and i also still cry knowing that the caps got fleishmann and green out of the deal. they would have been way better assets to have than langs 2 seasons.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#15 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Jordin Tootoo.

bringit.jpg

#16 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

For absolutely no good reason at all, I disliked Tomas Sandstrom and Mike Knuble both during their time here. Tim Taylor too, now that I think about it. It had nothing to do with their play or anything they said or didn't say off the ice. I just didn't like them in the red and white.

For what it's worth, I know it's completely silly of me. I even had occasion to meet both Taylor and Knuble in later years, and they were very nice, approachable, likable guys. Just one of those things, I guess.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#17 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

I always hated Dallas Drake and thought he was a cheap piece of garbage.

Still feel that way, but I'm glad he contributed to our Cup run.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#18 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Bertuzzi on his first stint in Detroit. I didn't understand why they traded for an oft injured player whose career was absolutely derailed by controversy. I don't put anything into the actual hit on Moore because I believe his intentions weren't to injure him. He's been a decent fit it turns out in both stints, but I could still do without him.

I'm with the other posters on Cujo and Hatcher... It just seemed like they were grasping at that point.

#19 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Bert.
If he used his size and strength regularly he would be effective but it seems to me he is scared of getting hurt and/or hurting someone and is a liability except in the shootout

Edited by Johnz96, 18 August 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#20 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Dave Lewis..lol, I would have to say Dallas Drake or Cujo