• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BottleOfSmoke

Player Haters (not so) Anonymous

Rate this topic

I'm not usually one to start new topics, but after revisiting a long-standing discussion with my dad, I was curious as to the thoughts of everyone here.

I have seen a lot of players come and go during my time as a Red Wings fan, and normally I am able to embrace every player that walks through the doors of the Joe with open arms. They become "ours," regardless of past team affiliation or douchebaggery.

The one exception to this for me is my unending, irrational, fiery hatred of Brett Hull. I hate that he ever wore a Wings jersey. When he would take the ice, I would pretend it was Dougie Brown skating around as to not succumb to a Rage!stroke. To this day, I still roll my eyes when I see pictures of him in the winged wheel. I get people hating on players like Lebderp, and I get people spouting hatred when a trade is first announced or a player first comes to the D--but has anyone else just not been able to shake a ridiculous dislike for a contributing, well-respected member of the team?

10490186-large.jpg

tumblr_m8kqpxZSWc1r86ybo.gif

I felt the same way in the beginning but it changed pretty fast if I recall correctly... He shined on the two kids and the old goat line, helped showcase what Dats was able to do well as grooming Z into his out of nowhere role. Hull scored 30, 37 & 25 goals in his 3 years here, not too shabby if you ask me, for an old goat that is...

Mattheiu Schneider. It seemed like every time he touched the puck, regardless of location, he was teeing it up for the glory goal. He had to have more awful shots in a little over two seasons with us than any other dman in the history of the franchise...

For absolutely no good reason whatsoever, I hated Marion Hossa before he came here. I think it was that he was just too good. I didn't hate him on a Pronger level, but I really didn't like the guy.

He won me over pretty quickly and I'd welcome him back for the right price.

Let me be the first of many, Sean Avery. Screw him.

I disagree just because back when he was here, he was nowhere near as big of a douchebag as he is now. while that causes a bit of regret, i dont harbor the same will as someone that already was a total ****** that we decided to bring in.

personally, i think its easy to go for guys like hatcher and krupp. mostly because of how little they both played when they got here. thats why i think its so easy for folks to get past guys like hull or chelios; even though they were far less liked by our fans, their contributions while they were here eased that pain.

for my pick, i will go with lang. while he did score over 100 points in his 2 full seasons, i didnt like his compete level and i also still cry knowing that the caps got fleishmann and green out of the deal. they would have been way better assets to have than langs 2 seasons.

For absolutely no good reason at all, I disliked Tomas Sandstrom and Mike Knuble both during their time here. Tim Taylor too, now that I think about it. It had nothing to do with their play or anything they said or didn't say off the ice. I just didn't like them in the red and white.

For what it's worth, I know it's completely silly of me. I even had occasion to meet both Taylor and Knuble in later years, and they were very nice, approachable, likable guys. Just one of those things, I guess.

Bertuzzi on his first stint in Detroit. I didn't understand why they traded for an oft injured player whose career was absolutely derailed by controversy. I don't put anything into the actual hit on Moore because I believe his intentions weren't to injure him. He's been a decent fit it turns out in both stints, but I could still do without him.

I'm with the other posters on Cujo and Hatcher... It just seemed like they were grasping at that point.

Guest Johnz96

Bert.

If he used his size and strength regularly he would be effective but it seems to me he is scared of getting hurt and/or hurting someone and is a liability except in the shootout

Edited by Johnz96

Chelios, though I eventually got used to him after he was a wing or a while. It took a bit though. It'd be like Pronger signing on the Wings. That quite doesn't even do it though because the hawks rivalry went back so many years, and Chelios was dirtier than Pronger.

I developed a pretty strong hate for Lebda, but it's only because he was so bad out there and Holland kept hanging on to him.

Ulf Samuelsson was up there because he's such a dirtbag. Now Tootoo. Hopefully my hate for him will fade after a while.