65 replies to this topic

#1 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

http://thehockeywrit...elsson-ir-star/

Of course he's not going to be an actual "All-Star", but I'm also of the opinion that Sammy gets to much flack for a guy that never had a chance to show he's worth his cap hit. I think having him and Helm back will really give us some good options at forward. Plus Sammy did play in Florida with Weiss, though I'm not sure how much they played on the same line.

#2 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think he can be a good 3rd liner/2nd PP unit guy if healthy.

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

I blame Holland more for offering that contract, than I do Sammy for signing it.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

I doubt he will "live up to his contract" but I don't doubt he will be in the top six

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#5 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

http://thehockeywrit...elsson-ir-star/

Of course he's not going to be an actual "All-Star", but I'm also of the opinion that Sammy gets to much flack for a guy that never had a chance to show he's worth his cap hit. I think having him and Helm back will really give us some good options at forward. Plus Sammy did play in Florida with Weiss, though I'm not sure how much they played on the same line.

This kind of irked me a little bit also to be honest, it may not have been the smartest idea to sign him given his injury history, but the guy had barely any opportunity at all last season to even attempt to prove his worth. I think he will be a bit more valuable than some of the people who have already written him off think he will. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#6 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

He will score the cup clinching goal. You heard it here first

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

He will score the cup clinching goal. You heard it here first

Before or after I score with Kate Upton?  

#8 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,873 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

He used to get flack when he didn't deserve it from 06-09, now he's old and washed up with a horrible contract. It is Hollands mistake and obviously Sammy wouldn't say no to getting that kind of money, doesn't change the fact if we have to move a younger energy guy like Tootoo or Eaves that we'll be even softer. I don't believe the notion we're going to get pushed around in the East, but the more energy guys the better. And before someone says it, no, Samuelsson at 6'2 does not provide energy anymore. This isn't 08, and I can't wait for this guy to be gone from the Winged Wheel.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 23 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#9 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

You mean the one season in the last several he missed a chunk of games? This isn't Colaiacovo or Lecavalier who miss 15-20 games a season. He'd been pretty consistently over 70 games a season before he was traded to Florida, hurt his groin, then tried coming back too early and reinjuring it.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

You mean the one season in the last several he missed a chunk of games? This isn't Colaiacovo or Lecavalier who miss 15-20 games a season. He'd been pretty consistently over 70 games a season before he was traded to Florida, hurt his groin, then tried coming back too early and reinjuring it.

He's a guy in his late 30's coming off two consecutive injury plagued seasons.  

You're not concerned?

#11 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

You're not concerned?

He missed 30 games out of 80, then re aggravated the same injury and missed 40 games. Wouldn't exactly use the word "plagued".

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

He missed 30 games out of 80, then re aggravated the same injury and missed 40 games. Wouldn't exactly use the word "plagued".

It's harder for older players to recover from injuries.  Healing time is longer.  

#13 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

He wastes a roster spot. That alone means he isn't worth his cap hit. He isn't worth the dirt under my shoe.

#14 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

He will score the cup clinching goal.

Into his own net.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#15 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

Into his own net.

So when Kenny finds a trading partner in the Western Conference to send him to...

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#16 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

He was never as bad as his critics made out first time round, although he could be infuriating as a flipped between being average and clutch.

But 2nd time round, 2 years with a NTC for a 35+ depth forward, when we alreadyhad another 35+ depth forward on a 2 year deal with a NTC......not to mention a bunch of kids knocking on the door in GR......it was just a bad contract.  A 1 year deal to bridge the gap whilst we fed in the kids would have been fine.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#17 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

So when Kenny finds a trading partner in the Western Conference to send him to...

I was gonna say this, but I thought "Into his own net" had a certain...edge to it.

Edited by Dabura, 24 August 2013 - 03:25 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#18 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

Best thing about Sammy is that this is his last year in Detroit
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#19 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,743 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Before or after I score with Kate Upton?  

If I may be so bold as to suggest...

This would be the occasion to eschew the modern composite stick and go old school.

I loved Sammy when he was here before and was excited when he came back.  Now that we can't get rid of him, I hope he shines like crazy.

If we're stuck with him, I'd rather eat crow for bewailing his presence than be right about him being too old.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#20 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

You're not concerned?

When he signed the contract no. Now, a bit. But if he misses a bunch of time they can bring up someone to replace him.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!