• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

This may be unpopular to some for this statement, but Cleary's elbow to Hannon's head last night disgusted me and he should be suspended.  After losing Dats and Mule to concussions, this really has no place in the game.  Sure those other other guys didn't get suspended, but 2 wrongs don't make it right.  It's hard to say suspend one of your own, but I think it needs to be done. 

#2 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

I completely agree with you, and I hope that this doesn't become a thread full of posts saying suspend Cleary because it'll get him out of the lineup, rather than acknowledging the fact that there is no place in the game for stuff like this. 

He should get a game or two because he clearly targeted the elbow at the head area. Eventually I think Shanny is gonna have to send a message here at some point and suspend someone long term. Otherwise someone's gonna get seriously hurt if not killed. 

The onus is also on the guys getting him though too. Too many times you see guys turning to face the boards just before they get hit. 

temp 1

#3 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

They said it via commentation last night that they thought he may be suspended for it. Balant chickenwing out to the head, can't explain anything remotely close to a hockey play in that situation. Clears lost his cool as did many of his teammates last night. For a change they showed some passion, but unfortunately in the worst way.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#4 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

Definitely what the league is trying to prevent. No reason for Cleary to make that dangerous cheap shot.  It was clearly done out of frustration and was not accidental.

As far as the losing another person on the roster, are we losing anyone? Cleary is obviously the weakest forward (and second weakest player overall to Quincey).  I can't wait for another Griffin to show up Cleary and the mistake that was his resigning.

...I'll go back to the Dan Cleary hate zone thread now.

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#5 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

We are f-ed if we lose cleary for 2 games or so!

#6 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

How come when our guys get frustrated and lose their cool now they just end up doing dumb s***. 

What happened to the Wings of a few years ago?  When those guys got frustrated, they came at you hard and physical, but clean, and used the anger as motivation to put up a few points. 

Now they just either give up, or do stupid s*** and take penalties and dig their hole deeper.

#7 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Yes, before this spins out of control as another Cleary bash fest let's focus on the topic here and redirect any aggressiveness towards him back to the Cleary Hate Thread. This is about the possibility of suspension from the elbow in question, it doesn't need to be derailed further than that. 

I believe it is absolutely suspendable, and there is no reason why he shouldn't get at least two games for it. Even as a Wings fan that generally defends the actions of the team, logically there really is no way to write this one off. 

I for one would be surprised if he skated away from this without penalty. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#8 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

i think cleary deserves to be suspended for a few games for sure. and that definitely makes me happy because we are better without him. i hope he gets a few games an the team plays well and babcock and holland finally see he is part of the problem not the solution.

additionally, for all the talk about cleary being a character guy and a great locker room guy and a great veteran presence, i think its fitting he committed the douchiest act a wings player has committed in recent memory.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#9 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Meh...the league already set a precedence and said this was alright.  Amirite?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#10 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

He should be suspended for the rest of the season :innocent:

#11 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

I still believe it was unintentional, but he has to have more control than that. Flinging your elbow out isn't a very smart reaction. I think he gets a game or two.

#12 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,477 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

No hearing for elbow by Dano:

http://kuklaskorner....medium=facebook

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#13 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

If there is no suspension to Cleary, I hope the Hannan suspension is rescinded by the league. 

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#14 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Guess I'm not surprised, it's a similar play to Cowen on Datsyuk.

#15 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

We are f-ed if we lose cleary for 2 games or so!

Don't worry dude, we've still got Sammy!!

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#16 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

What makes me mad is that someone didn't shove that pig-nosed Olympic diver into the glass snout 1st.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#17 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Cheapshot from Cleary... there is no place for that in the NHL...

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#18 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

Odd situation here, since Hannan/McLellan won't receive fines for the instigator in the last 5 mins.  Do I believe they should be?  No.  However, I don't like that the NHL basically operates under however they are feeling and ignoring rules that are in place.  Either have the rule on the books and enforce it, or take it off the books.

I guess the way the rule is written they are allowed to do that, but I still don't like it simply because I don't have to.  Heh.

Edited by rrasco, 10 January 2014 - 06:24 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'm proud of Dano.  He actually gives a damn and increased our fight count.  I just wish he did it to Pavelski or Jumbo Joke.    

Also, I liked what Hannan did, getting up and retaliating.  Our milksop players wouldn't have done that.  And Hannan is far from a fighter.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#20 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'm proud of Dano.  He actually gives a damn and increased our fight count.  I just wish he did it to Pavelski or Jumbo Joke.    

Also, I liked what Hannan did, getting up and retaliating.  Our milksop players wouldn't have done that.  And Hannan is far from a fighter.

Why?  Why would you want him to injure a skilled player when Cleary is barely a 4th line player?

This is the kind of BS that needs to stop in the league... help me understand why elbowing Joe in the head is ok?