• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Ken Holland's Moves From 2009-2014

Rate this topic

I made a quick spreadsheet of all the transactions KH has orchestrated since 2009. It is insanely unimpressive. It's just trades/signings. I didn't add drafting, because who knows how that will turn out.

This brings up the following serious questions:

1). What deal went down that KH missed, where the winner of that deal resulted in a SCF or even Conference Final ?

2). Where would we be if we would have gotten that deal?

Like the Parise/Suter Sweepstakes, for example. Where is Minne now, and where would we be?

Edited by T.Low

I made a quick spreadsheet of all the transactions KH has orchestrated since 2009. It is insanely unimpressive. It's just trades/signings. I didn't add drafting, because who knows how that will turn out. he's drafted Ferraro, Tatar, Jensen, Callahan, AA1, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkinnen, Mrazek, Jurco, Oullet, Sproul, Backman, Marchenko, AA2 and Mantha, and it makes it a lot harder for Holland bashers to bash him

FTFY

FTFY

OR....OR... Of those players you listed 2 are in the NHL. Now there's no doubt a lot of those guys may become something great, but who knows? On the flip side, how many of those trades/FA signings have panned out?

1). What deal went down that KH missed, where the winner of that deal resulted in a SCF or even Conference Final ?

Like the Parise/Suter Sweepstakes, for example. Where is Minne now, and where would we be?

this is an excellent point though. Especially 2. What honestly would things have looked like now if we'd got Suter? One can only dream….

I want action, too, no doubt about it. But too many people think that because someone else got a guy we liked, that KH just sat and ate popcorn watching the deal go down.

But like I said yesterday, while some have wondered why we haven't gotten Edler yet, for example, it's because Gillis requested Tatar Sheahan and Smith in return! I want to acquire Edler,Mobutu not at that price!

It's worse than dealing with jokers on Craigslist: everyone thinks their s*** is Gold Treasure!

I was one of the guys spouting off about trading Franzen for Burrows. Now look , holy crap I'd be beating my head against a wall if KH would have listened to me on that one.

this is an excellent point though. Especially 2. What honestly would things have looked like now if we'd got Suter? One can only dream….

Coulda, woulda, shoulda... didn't/couldn't.

If we signed Parise and Suter we'd be contenders. They got too much money and years though so I'm okay with it

In a year or two their deals will be pretty good.

I don't think those are fair questions.

1) The result another team got in no way indicates what would have happened with the Wings, good or bad, if they made that deal.

2) This is impossible to know.

I criticize Holland not so much for specific deals he's missed out on, but the moves (and lack thereof) that he has made over the last few years. I assume Holland is working his ass off and on the phone trying to put deals together. But so what. That's his job. What counts for a GM is the deals you actually make, not how close you came to a good one.

He painted himself into a corner with Lidstrom retiring so he even had to participate in the Suter sweepstakes. Lidstrom retiring was a known issue. Stuart back to California was a known issue.

The Samuelsson and Tootoo signings were both awful. Giving up a first to bring in Quincey. Not getting anything back on players he developed like Flip and Hudler. Re-signging Cleary and pinning himself against the cap and roster limitations so good players rot in the minors.

Holland has had a lot of success as GM. He's been the master at tweaking a great team to keep it going, but he has done little to show he can successfully "rebuild on the fly."

A year before your spreadsheet, he signed Marian Hossa.

And a year before that, he signed Brian Rafalski.

One won us a cup. The other got us to back-to-back finals.

Hossa called Holland. Then a year later, Holland made the colossal mistake of letting Hossa go.

Rafalski wanted to come home.

I'm glad we had them and all, but these weren't situations that you could say Holland hit out of the park based on his own efforts. I mean, Hossa pretty much negotiated his own deal.

And besides that, the real problem has come up in the years since 2009 when the reality of the Cap started truly affecting the team. When he wasn't getting away with paying Zetterberg $2 million a season, he struggled to build a team around Dats and Z. And it's not even just that he's not luring better players here, he's signing mediocre players to terrible deals. That's the problem.

Edited by gcom007