• Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#221 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Columbus or Detroit doesn't have to have a long losing streak.  The Leafs would only be 2 points back.  The two games in hand don't mean a whole lot if they don't win them as we've seen already. 

13% chance the Leafs make the playoffs. You were saying?

#222 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

13% chance the Leafs make the playoffs. You were saying?

Nothing has changed.  The Leafs are not out of it, NJ is not out of it.  13% is not 0%.   Sorry, seen these scenarios way too many times.  What were the Wings chances last year of making the playoffs?  When they are mathematically eliminated, you know, like actual math, then it'll be over.  Until then, I'm not counting anyone out.

#223 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Nothing has changed.  The Leafs are not out of it, NJ is not out of it.  13% is not 0%.   Sorry, seen these scenarios way too many times.  What were the Wings chances last year of making the playoffs?  When they are mathematically eliminated, you know, like actual math, then it'll be over.  Until then, I'm not counting anyone out.

Dude, nobody is saying their chances are over. We're saying it is highly unlikely. 

#224 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

What were the Wings chances of winning the cup after losing the first two games against Vancouver and being down in the first period in game 3 on the road?  Its why they play the games because anything can happen.  

#225 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

What were the Wings chances of winning the cup after losing the first two games against Vancouver and being down in the first period in game 3 on the road?  Its why they play the games because anything can happen.  

That is also 2 teams playing a best of 7 against each other. A hell of a lot different than 2 teams playing their own schedules fighting for every point they can. Especially when one team only has 6 games left compared to the other teams 8. 

Like I said. Nobody is saying the Leafs CAN'T make the playoffs. But the fact that they have to gain 3 points on the Wings in 6 games when the Wings have 8 to play, it just isn't likely. We get it. s*** happens. Doesn't mean we can't laugh at their chances. The Caps are the team to worry about. Even if Detroit gets just 1 point tomorrow, that would be 2 regulation wins more they'd have to get than Detroit in 2 less games.

Also kee in mind they need 2 of the teams ahead of them to s*** the bed to make it. Not just one.

Comparing their situation to the Wings in the 2002 playoffs would only work if the rest of the Leafs and Wings games were against each other.

Edited by marcaractac, 29 March 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#226 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

Not to get ahead of things, but how do the wild cards seed in the playoffs? I keep forgetting. Does the second face the Bruins and the first face the Pens?

The Caps are the team to worry about.

That's what I've been telling you! lol.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#227 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Not to get ahead of things, but how do the wild cards seed in the playoffs? I keep forgetting. Does the second face the Bruins and the first face the Pens?

That is correct 

#228 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Don't count out the Leafs yeah they are two points back, but Toronto is also on hell of a streaky game they could easily go from 0 : 8 to 6 : 0 it will be a tight dogfight with Toronto, Columbus and Washington till the end no doubt about that.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#229 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Games for the 4 teams

Red Wings:

vs Lighting

vs Bruins

vs Sabers

@ Habs

@ Sabers

@ Penguins

vs Hurricanes

@ Blues

Caps;

@ Preds

vs Stars

@ Devils

@ NYI

@ Blues

@ Hurricanes

vs Hawks

vs Lightning

Leafs:

vs Flames

vs Bruins

vs Jets

@ Lightning

@ Panthers

@ Senators

Jackets:

vs Avs

@ Flyers

vs Hawks

vs NYI

vs PHX

@ Stars

@ Lightning

@ Panthers

Man oh man do the Wings have a tough schedule coming up. The bolded are pretty much must wins since the rest our remaining schedule is very tough. Luckily Jackets & Caps have some tough games coming up as well. I think 5-3 or 4-3-1 record is a must to get us in the playoffs.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 30 March 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#230 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Definitely not counting the Leafs out. Just wanted to know what we'd be looking forward to should our dreams come true. Personally, I'd want the Pens, but I'm interested to see how we do against the Bruins this week. If we play them well, maybe we do legitimately match up well against them and our winning record against them isn't a fluke.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#231 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Games for the 4 teams

Red Wings:

vs Lighting

vs Bruins

vs Sabers

@ Habs

@ Sabers

@ Penguins

vs Hurricanes

@ Blues

Caps;

@ Preds

vs Stars

@ Devils

@ NYI

@ Blues

@ Hurricanes

vs Hawks

vs Lightning

Leafs:

vs Flames

vs Bruins

vs Jets

@ Lightning

@ Panthers

@ Senators

Jackets:

vs Avs

@ Flyers

vs Hawks

vs NYI

vs PHX

@ Stars

@ Lightning

@ Panthers

Man oh man do the Wings have a tough schedule coming up. The bolded are pretty much must wins since the rest our remaining schedule is very tough. Luckily Jackets & Caps have some tough games coming up as well. I think 5-3 or 4-3-1 record is a must to get us in the playoffs.

Beat me to it, wanted to so something similiar so here it goes for the Wings:

Red Wings:

vs Lighting

vs Bruins

vs Sabers

@ Habs

@ Sabers

@ Penguins

vs Hurricanes

@ Blues

italic = overtime loss so + 1 point

So that would be + 10 points putting this team at 92 on the season could be enough but it will depend on how the Caps and Leafs are playing from here on out.

kftx.jpg

#232 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Definitely not counting the Leafs out. Just wanted to know what we'd be looking forward to should our dreams come true. Personally, I'd want the Pens, but I'm interested to see how we do against the Bruins this week. If we play them well, maybe we do legitimately match up well against them and our winning record against them isn't a fluke.

Isn't it inter division play for the first two rounds? I think we have to play Boston either way.

#233 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Isn't it inter division play for the first two rounds? I think we have to play Boston either way.

No because it's possible two teams from our division are the wildcard (i.e. Wings and Leafs) or that the Wings finish in the last wildcard spot. Wings will get the Penguins if they finish in the 2nd wildcard because the best team in the East gets the worst wildcard regardless of division. In theory the Wings could come out of the Metropolitan Division to meet the Atlantic Division winner in the East Conference Final.

I believe the BoG wants to address this next year so that teams stay in their divsion if possible (i.e. if it's not two wildcard teams from the same division).

Edited by T-Ruff, 30 March 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#234 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hopefully some of them find their brains again, screw this nonsense and go back to the old formula..

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#235 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Go Barber and Press now

kftx.jpg

#236 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

No because it's possible two teams from our division are the wildcard (i.e. Wings and Leafs) or that the Wings finish in the last wildcard spot. Wings will get the Penguins if they finish in the 2nd wildcard because the best team in the East gets the worst wildcard regardless of division. In theory the Wings could come out of the Metropolitan Division to meet the Atlantic Division winner in the East Conference Final.

I believe the BoG wants to address this next year so that teams stay in their divsion if possible (i.e. if it's not two wildcard teams from the same division).

The whole system is dumb and confusing. It should be top team in each division guaranteed a spot, after that you have to earn it, and then the same playoffs format that has worked for years, not top 4 teams in each division. You'll see teams in one division not making the playoffs even though they have 4 points more then a team making the playoffs in the other division

#237 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

The whole system is dumb and confusing. It should be top team in each division guaranteed a spot, after that you have to earn it, and then the same playoffs format that has worked for years, not top 4 teams in each division. You'll see teams in one division not making the playoffs even though they have 4 points more then a team making the playoffs in the other division

Only 3 teams per division are guaranteed. The wild card spots are supposed to prevent a situation like that. It won't be perfect every year though. This year it looks like it will work out

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#238 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Damnit, Caps tied the game..

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#239 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hopefully some of them find their brains again, screw this nonsense and go back to the old formula..

Agreed, the old playoff format was much better. What's the point of emphasizing divisional matchups if a team could spend the first two rounds outside of their own division? You also get punished for being in tougher divisions by the top three seeds automatically qualifying regardless.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#240 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

win the 4 home games and id say we'd be ok.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.