• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

2014 Offseason League Signings and Trades

Rate this topic

Ryan White has signed with the Flyers. 1 year, two-way deal.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/07/ryan-white-agrees-to-terms-with-flyers/related/

I thought he was a great role-player in MTL. Mind you I don't pay much attention to those "I think I'm better than the Wings losers". Surprised they didn't keep him. Kind of like our Glendening?

Just looked it up Buffalo has top 5 picks (their own plus islanders) in one of the deepest drafts ever, so if things are working out perfectly for them they have a chance at McDavid and Eichel wow, that's damn scary.

They'll find a way to f*** it up. Even if they draft both.

These are the type of low risk, high reward signings that I wish Holland would make more often. I'm not saying that Setoguchi will come back to his '08-'09 form and put up over 60 points, especially with a s***ty Calgary team, but on a good team, I do think he is still capable of chipping in offensively. He's a big body, right handed shot that definitely could have put up 40+ points on this team. I know, I know, we already have an over loaded roster up front, but is there anybody that wouldn't take a gamble on this kid over at least 3 or 4 forwards on our current roster? I definitely would. Our bottom 6 is loaded with guys that haven't put up points Seto did in his worst year in their best year. Anyway I would have definitely taken a gamble on him for one season at 750K...

These are the type of low risk, high reward signings that I wish Holland would make more often. I'm not saying that Setoguchi will come back to his '08-'09 form and put up over 60 points, especially with a s***ty Calgary team, but on a good team, I do think he is still capable of chipping in offensively. He's a big body, right handed shot that definitely could have put up 40+ points on this team. I know, I know, we already have an over loaded roster up front, but is there anybody that wouldn't take a gamble on this kid over at least 3 or 4 forwards on our current roster? I definitely would. Our bottom 6 is loaded with guys that haven't put up points Seto did in his worst year in their best year. Anyway I would have definitely taken a gamble on him for one season at 750K...

I probably wouldn't take a flyer on Setoguchi right now, because simply, where the hell would he play, and which one of our young guys would he block from making the team?

Let's face it, Seto was on a fairly decent Jets team that had a good amount of talent (Ladd, Byfuglien, Little, Kane, Scheifele, Jokinen etc etc) so it's not like they were basement dwellers. Don't get me wrong, he's probably a good secondary player who can chip in a 50 point season, but his play is trending downwards. But more importantly, where would he play? We already have a log jam now with Cleary back and possibly the return of Alfie. One more guy just means its even less likely Jurco makes the team.

Specifically at Wing I wouldn't want this type of signing due to the log jam we already have, but I agree with your point. Look at Toronto last year with Mason Raymond.

Signing a D-man to a contact like this couldn't have hurt as long as its a 1 year deal, and doesn't result in any cap issues.

Would you prefer Setoguchi over Alfredsson?

I think everyone is missing my point. No I wouldn't have liked if we signed him yesterday, because like myself and everyone after me pointed out, we just don't have the room on our current roster. And no I would not sign him over Alfredsson...

My point was that I wish Holland would make some more of these low risk, high reward signings (not necessarily this particular one) later in free agency, rather than striking out on the big fish and then rushing to sign average players to above average contracts.

Like kliq mentioned, the Leafs waited until the exact same day last year, September 23rd, to sign Mason Raymond to a one year, one million dollar contract and that turned out to possibly be the steal of the offseason last year. I'm aware that these contracts don't always pan out like teams would like but the point is, they're low risk but they have potential to be high reward. I don't think there is much of a chance that Setoguchi cashes in next year, simply because of the team he signed with, but on the right team, I do think he can still chip in offensively. Just my opinion...

The 3rd line spot is the only real opening the Wings have. I don't think Setoguchi would be an upgrade over Alfredsson, and there's a real possibility that he'd be a complete flop. If I was going to take a chance on someone, I'd rather that they take a chance on one of their own rookies instead of a reclamation project.

I think everyone is missing my point. No I wouldn't have liked if we signed him yesterday, because like myself and everyone after me pointed out, we just don't have the room on our current roster. And no I would not sign him over Alfredsson...

My point was that I wish Holland would make some more of these low risk, high reward signings (not necessarily this particular one) later in free agency, rather than striking out on the big fish and then rushing to sign average players to above average contracts.

Like kliq mentioned, the Leafs waited until the exact same day last year, September 23rd, to sign Mason Raymond to a one year, one million dollar contract and that turned out to possibly be the steal of the offseason last year. I'm aware that these contracts don't always pan out like teams would like but the point is, they're low risk but they have potential to be high reward. I don't think there is much of a chance that Setoguchi cashes in next year, simply because of the team he signed with, but on the right team, I do think he can still chip in offensively. Just my opinion...

Fair enough, and yea I do see what you're saying. Sometimes taking a flyer on guys like that does work, so I agree, sometimes it would be good to see the wings do that from time to time.

Holland could've waited (and waited) to re-sign Q until now. He missed out on the big names and pulled the trigger too quick on Q. I also think it would have cost about $1.5M less if he had waited. Even if Q left, he is easily replaced.

I still don't get why Morris hasn't signed anywhere. I must be missing something with him...

Holland could've waited (and waited) to re-sign Q until now. He missed out on the big names and pulled the trigger too quick on Q. I also think it would have cost about $1.5M less if he had waited. Even if Q left, he is easily replaced.

I still don't get why Morris hasn't signed anywhere. I must be missing something with him...

Derek Morris? I still can't believe that jobber was traded for Chris Drury. Beginning of the end for the Avalanche.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Quincey likely would have been signed well before now

Yeah, because everyone wants a scrub who's scored 19 points in his last 136 games. :dozing:

I don't think DickieDunn is saying that everyone would want Quincey, but rather that some team out there would have offered him a contract. I 100% agree with this, maybe not for the term/$$ the Wings offered, but there would have been at least 1 offer nearly 2 months into free agency.