• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
marcaractac

Tatar Signs 3 Year Deal $2.75 mill AAV

Rate this topic

Happy dance. Happy dance.

Now just give us DannyD and I'll be happy.

EDIT: Make that "I'll be totally happy". I'm now happy enough to be doing a happy dance. When we sign Danny I'll be doing a happy backflippy kind of dance. Right now it's more of a happy cha-cha.

Edited by 55fan

It may only be retaining a player we certainly should have retained, but this is still very good news. It's easy to forget the time when Tatar was buried in GR and getting frustrated. He's a talented young scorer that we have locked up for 3 years of what will be his peak physical ability. And if he becomes a perennial 25 or possibly 30-goal scorer, he'll be worth well in excess of $3 million per year by the end of this deal, so I won't lose too much sleep over whether or not this feels like an "overpay" when the cap hit comes out.

It may only be retaining a player we certainly should have retained, but this is still very good news. It's easy to forget the time when Tatar was buried in GR and getting frustrated. He's a talented young scorer that we have locked up for 3 years of what will be his peak physical ability. And if he becomes a perennial 25 or possibly 30-goal scorer, he'll be worth well in excess of $3 million per year by the end of this deal, so I won't lose too much sleep over whether or not this feels like an "overpay" when the cap hit comes out.

Couldn't care less either I'm just happy we have him locked up for 3 more years. If he can score around 20 - 25 goals annually that would be absolutely fantastic - to quote 'Babs :) -

Think about how this compares to Damien Brunner - Brunner was a horribly one-dimensional player with little NHL track record but already in his mid-20's, and there were those that pissed (at the time) that the Wings wouldn't go to 2.5 or 3 million per on a 2 or 3-yr deal.

Tatar posted a 19-goal season in really his first full season (on a team decimated by injuries and surrounded by other young players). To get him on a 3-year evaluation period AND he's still an RFA at the end of the deal is terrific. It benefits Tatar, too, but it's a good signing for the organization, nonetheless.

UPDATE: And I see that it's $2.75 per now. You can see from my posts that I was preparing the mob for this :) I think it's perfectly valued. Maybe he's worth just shy of $2 million now, but if he progresses at all, he's easily a $4 million player in year 3. And if he doesn't pan out, qualify him conservatively or cut him loose.

Edited by StormJH1