• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

more NHL wisdom: Chris Pronger may work for Dept of Player Safety

Rate this topic

I guess since Matt Cooke wasn't available they had to go with their second choice?

Veteran defenseman Chris Pronger and the NHL Department of Player Safety are believed to have mutual interest in regards to a potential job, according to Bob McKenzie of TSN.

Interestingly, Pronger himself was no stranger to NHL discipline during his playing days, with no fewer than eight suspensions for a combined 22 games and 1,916 penalty minutes on his record.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/599359

This just in: Bobby Clarke is one of the refs for tonight's Flyers-B's opener in Boston.

Reply0 replies

Retweet20 retweets20

Favorite31 favorites31

More

I know, maybe Brandon Dubinsky can fill in working for Dep't of Player Safety while he's on IR.

Reply0 replies

Retweet11 retweets11

Favorite20 favorites20

More

Re Chris Pronger & NHL Dep't Player Safety: This is not difficult. He is a Flyers' employee. He is on Flyers' roster. End of discussion.

In the article the guy from Yahoo speculates that he could recuse himself from any discipline involving the Flyers. He apparently has no function within the organization other than being a player on LTIR.

I can't see the league approving him being both on LTIR for the Flyers and paying him to be on the disciplinary committee. Maybe this is a move to get him off the books in Philly?

Pronger is due $5 million this season, so I don't know why he'd give that up and take a job within the league unless they were forcing him off LTIR or allowing him to collect two paychecks. The next year though it goes down to $575k, which is still a chunk of change but is a much smaller gap between that and what his NHL salary would be.

In the article the guy from Yahoo speculates that he could recuse himself from any discipline involving the Flyers. He apparently has no function within the organization other than being a player on LTIR.

I can't see the league approving him being both on LTIR for the Flyers and paying him to be on the disciplinary committee. Maybe this is a move to get him off the books in Philly?

Pronger is due $5 million this season, so I don't know why he'd give that up and take a job within the league unless they were forcing him off LTIR or allowing him to collect two paychecks. The next year though it goes down to $575k, which is still a chunk of change but is a much smaller gap between that and what his NHL salary would be.

I'm not sure how it would work to get him off the books in Philly.

He's on a 35+ contract, so CBA says they take the cap hit for the duration even if he retires, so unless Snider has weaseled into a retirement due to career ending injury that would allow him to move Pronger's cap hit to LTIR for 2 more seasons, can't see how it helps Philly.

Holmgren, when he was still GM, made a comment a while back to the effect that Pronger would never play again. I wonder if this is to appease anyone for the blatant 'circumvention' of the CBA's intent (i.e. what got NJ in trouble with Kovalchuk originally).

Why would he walk away from 5 million per? Is the nhl unhappy with Quintal?

It sounds like he wouldn't be taking over from Quintal, but would be one of the advisors that review plays and weigh in with their opinions.

Though I have no idea why he'd walk away from $5 mill, unless the league was going to challenge his LTIR status and he'd no longer get paid that salary, and the player safety job was an olive branch. But that's obviously heavy speculation on my part.

It sounds like he wouldn't be taking over from Quintal, but would be one of the advisors that review plays and weigh in with their opinions.

Though I have no idea why he'd walk away from $5 mill, unless the league was going to challenge his LTIR status and he'd no longer get paid that salary, and the player safety job was an olive branch. But that's obviously heavy speculation on my part.

Ah makes sense I highly doubt the league would have a problem with his LTIR status, the guy trieds he simple isn't able to participate at this level anymore. I mean, Pronger still has days where he can't watch TV and needs a "dark room" that's horrible sending him out on the ice under such conditions could end up extremely bad.

He knows all the tricks so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad choice.

It's official by the way. Pronger now works for the Department of Player Safety.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/601247

I don't quite understand how the Flyers can consider him an active player on injured reserve (and get relief from his cap hit) while he is employed in the NHL offices. Must be nice to be an owner in Bettman's inner circle.

You know, Shanahan wasn't the cleanest player in the world either.

Its not the type of player he is that's the problem,its that he's on the flyers roster(even though he's on ltir in lieu of retiring to save the cap hit)

Its a conflict of interest.

If the flyers make it to the playoffs he could (in theory) suspend opposing teams players from playing against philly.

And if they win the cup, his name still goes on it.

Not saying that it will happen but in theory, it could.

This article explains it pretty well.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2226616-why-the-nhl-made-the-wrong-move-by-hiring-chris-pronger

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Its not the type of player he is that's the problem,its that he's on the flyers roster(even though he's on ltir in lieu of retiring to save the cap hit)

Its a conflict of interest.

If the flyers make it to the playoffs he could (in theory) suspend opposing teams players from playing against philly.

And if they win the cup, his name still goes on it.

Not saying that it will happen but in theory, it could.

This article explains it pretty well.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2226616-why-the-nhl-made-the-wrong-move-by-hiring-chris-pronger

I thought you had to play a certain number of games in the regular season or at least one game in the playoffs to have your name on the cup.