• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Franzen on IR

Rate this topic

Didn't see a post on this ... didn't know he was injured. When? That's one way to get him off the ice. From Yahoo NHL:

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Red Wings have put forward Johan Franzen on injured reserve because of an upper-body issue.
Detroit recalled forward Teemu Pulkkinen from the Grand Rapids Griffins of the AHL on Thursday.
The 35-year-old Franzen has seven goals and 15 assists in 33 games this season. He did not play Wednesday night in Detroit's victory at Calgary.
The 23-year-old Pulkkinen leads the AHL with 20 goals in 33 games. His current eight-game goals streak for Grand Rapids tied the franchise record. He played three games for the Red Wings last season.
Detroit plays at Washington on Saturday night.

Pretty pumped about pulks, IMO he is an immediate upgrade over franzen so I think we get better here. Hopefully Babs puts pulks right into franzens spot so he has a chance to prove himself.

Obviously, we don't know what he can do at the NHL level so we'll see how it goes but it looks promising.

Just saw that it was from that hit.... I know some of these injuries arent preventable but my god Franzen is as soft as it gets.

Edited by WingsallTheway

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/here-comes-teemu-pulkkinen?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I love me some Pookie! He is great fun to watch and will bring great energy to the roster -- and a few goals, too, I suspect.

I am sorry Mule is having such a tough time. As much as I want to throw my shoe at him on an every-game basis, I like the guy and wish he wasn't having such a disappointing time of it.

Cool, be nice to see what Pulks can do. Franzen can stay on IR for the season for all I care. I dunno why he even bothers coming to the rink anyways. Its just such a piss off because we all know what hes capable of in "Mule" mode, but he refuses to play that way, and of he does, its never for long.

I feel bad for Franzen. People love to crap on him, but no player enjoys having their body slowly break down on them.

Either way, I am excited for Teemu! I have never seen him play before, and a right handed shot in the lineup can never hurt!

We need to buy out Franzen next year before he retires due to injury and we get hit with the cap recapture penalty.

I wish capgeek was still around so I could run the numbers for you guys.

I ran them earlier this year and I think if we just do a standard buy-out it doesn't hurt us as much as the cap recapture penalty would.

If concussions continue to plague him maybe we just end up putting him on "permanent IR" ala Pronger/Savard

Edited by e_prime

We need to buy out Franzen next year before he retires due to injury and we get hit with the cap recapture penalty.

I ran them earlier this year and I think if we just do a standard buy-out it doesn't hurt us as much as the cap recapture penalty would.

If concussions continue to plague him maybe we just end up putting him on "permanent IR" ala Pronger/Savard

Him going the Pronger route is far more likely than a buy out. One, he still gets paid that way, i he retires he gets nothing. Two, someone who plays for a team as long as Franzen has generally is willing to help the team out,a t least as long as it doesn't screw him over by doing so.

Him going the Pronger route is far more likely than a buy out. One, he still gets paid that way, i he retires he gets nothing. Two, someone who plays for a team as long as Franzen has generally is willing to help the team out,a t least as long as it doesn't screw him over by doing so.

And basically, if Franzen decides to hang 'em up early without a Pronger/Savard style injury exception, instead of taking the cap recapture penalty, the Wings can use a buy out then. "Hey Johan, instead of retiring & getting nothing, you mind if we use an ordinary course buy out on you now? You get paid 2/3rds of your remaining salary & we don't get hit with as big a cap penalty. You cool with that? Yeah?"

Really, the only risk the Wings have in not doing that earlier is opportunity risk i.e. what prospect or free agent could they have in that spot instead.

The Wings missed the prime window to rid themselves of Franzen last summer when they still had the second buyout available from the lockout. They had depth at forward, Franzen is declining and injury prone and hasn't been a factor in the playoffs for five years now. I know there are factions in love with his "cap friendly deal" and for awhile I agreed, but the Red Wings were in great position to make Franzen go away without it negatively affecting the team's success. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and Jurco are all here now plus Pulkkinen, Mantha and others on the way.

The Wings missed the prime window to rid themselves of Franzen last summer when they still had the second buyout available from the lockout. They had depth at forward, Franzen is declining and injury prone and hasn't been a factor in the playoffs for five years now. I know there are factions in love with his "cap friendly deal" and for awhile I agreed, but the Red Wings were in great position to make Franzen go away without it negatively affecting the team's success. Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and Jurco are all here now plus Pulkkinen, Mantha and others on the way.

Dan Cleary is still on this team because Ken Holland "gave his word". I just don't see Holland agreeing to a contract with a guy like Franzen and not doing everything he possible can to honor it. It's not his style. Which is both frustrating, and decent.

I believe Franzen and Holland would work something out, -- IF -- Franzen actually decided to hang them up... but I agree Kip, we're going to see Franzen on this roster for a loonnnnnggggg while. Ultimately eating up a roster spot that could be used more effectively.

If I were GM, I'd say screw it... and buy him out next off-season. What's gonna happen? Franzen signs with Boston and magically gets back to previous form and goes beast-mode... wait.., I best stop that right now!

I believe Franzen and Holland would work something out, -- IF -- Franzen actually decided to hang them up... but I agree Kip, we're going to see Franzen on this roster for a loonnnnnggggg while. Ultimately eating up a roster spot that could be used more effectively.

If I were GM, I'd say screw it... and buy him out next off-season. What's gonna happen? Franzen signs with Boston and magically gets back to previous form and goes beast-mode... wait.., I best stop that right now!

Well I certainly am not against getting rid of the guy. Wouldn't hurt my feelings. I just don't see it happening.

And if we did, and IF he went crazy for another team, good for him. I'd legitimately be happy for him. Wouldn't change my mind about buying him out one iota. I'd feel about that exactly how I feel about "losing" Hudler.

Honestly, you probably could trade him to Boston right now. They're interested in getting help on the wing...and are considering Chris Stewart. So clearly they're desperate lol.

Franzen gone for awhile. Meh.... Would we noticed he was gone if this wasn't posted. :ph34r:

I think we would notice there being a player on the ice that has enough respect for himself and his mates to play in the hard areas of the ice and give his best every night.

Too bad Francine doesn't fit that mold because he has the tools to be a top power forward and would be well worth the 43.million contract he signed.