• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Wings Need on D and Glaring Inconsistencies

Rate this topic

Good post. Do you carry both Smith and Kindl on the 23 man squad, or do you make a trade?

That's a great question. Once Q is healthy, I think we're at a point where we have to trade a defenseman.

I would love to move Ericsson's contract, because I can live with a Marchenko - Kindl/Smith pairing, but I'm not sure moving Big-Rig is do-able.

So, trading Kindl or Smith is the most likely option.

...but it's bigger than that. Lets say nobody wants Kindl or Smith.

8 NHL regulars for 7 spots. Kronner, Green, Ericsson, Quincey, DeKeyser, Marchenko, Kindl, Smith is the troublesome first issue.

Marchenko could be sent back down, but that leads us to problem number two.

Sending Marchenko back down alleviates the issue only insomuch that we'll have seven defensemen, but doesn't allow us to figure out who to trade and who to keep. We have an abundance of ready to almost ready prospects in GR that are running out of options and quick.

So you move one of Ericsson, Kindl, or Smith. You've got your seven d-men, but you still have no flexibility, barring injury, in determining which -- if any -- of those guys you want to keep in the A, bring up next year, or move in a package.

Edited by e_prime

My bet is, once Quincey is healthy, and assuming no other defenseman gets injured before then, Marchenko gets sent down. I can't imagine Q will be back after this season, so that frees up one spot, and my hope is that we can trade Kindl in the offseason for a mid level prospect or pick.

I know Marchenko has played great so far but I would like to see him switched out for both Jensen and Sproul at some point just to see what we have in those guys. Sproul has been playing lights out down in GR, his offensive game has always been there but his defensive game is really coming along now as well. I still think if / when Jensen is given an opportunity in the NHL, whether that is Detroit or not, he will run with it. Jensen is twice as good as Marchenko in just about every area in my opinion. The only reason I wouldn't mind Jensen not getting a call right away is to keep him somewhat hidden in the AHL. With 4 guys becoming waiver eligible next season, there's no way we can get them all in the lineup, and as of right now I think Jensen would be the most likely to clear, just because teams probably don't know a whole lot about his game. I think Marchenko and Ouellet would be claimed for sure just because of the amount of games they've already played, and I think Sproul would be claimed as well because of the numbers he put up in juniors as well as the minors...

Once Q is healthy, I don't think we should wait until the offseason to move Kindl and/or Smith) A lot more flexibility, this year. In my mind if we trade both, bringing up another prospect doesn't substantially hurt our D-corps.

Kronwall - Green

DeKeyser - Quincey

Ericsson/Marchenko/XO

(Just as an example)

If a trade isn't possible, I agree kr, wouldn't mind seeing any of those aforementioned prospects up for a short stint with the team swapping in for Marchenko if any other injuries come up.

I don't think Ericsson has been that bad. Like somebody before said, watch other teams defence play, these things happen. He's actually been one of the better dmen at getting shots through on the point (resulted in Abby's goal) and he seems in control in his own zone most of the time. Having said that, I think moving E would be ideal, even if it means retaining a bit of salary. Then resign Q or try our luck with Buff

Ericsson just gets a bad rap because of his salary. If he was making a million dollars less, nobody would be complaining. Except for people who think he needs to be more physical. Which I think he's stepped up this year.

Hypothetically, would you guys be willing to swap bad contracts in a Phaneuf for Ericsson deal? He will most likely be dealt this year and he fills a lot of our needs. He's actually had a pretty good start to the season

Edited by joesuffP

I agree with kip - the D have been good. And they look that way without Q, who will be an upgrade over anyone on the 3rd pair at least.

E is fine. He's not an ideal fit in our top 4, but I think he's been playing better since being taken off the top pair and has DK with him. He had that one 'head in the clouds' moment for the one goal last night, but that hasn't been the norm for him.

I thought every Dman played well in their role last night. E is finally shooting the puck again, Smith is being smart, and Marchenko is looking like a solid sturdy 3rd pairing guy. Kronwall and Green are supposed to provide offense and they do. Ok liking what I see from our backend for the first time in a long time.

Hypothetically, would you guys be willing to swap bad contracts in a Phaneuf for Ericsson deal? He will most likely be dealt this year and he fills a lot of our needs. He's actually had a pretty good start to the season

Phanuef's contract is a whole other level of bad though. But yeah, he's a better D man than Ericsson IMO

Phanuef's contract is a whole other level of bad though. But yeah, he's a better D man than Ericsson IMO

...but I don't think a Phanuef deal gets done with Ericsson and off-setting bad contracts as the cornerstone pieces.

That and also because -

@6ixRy: Zetterberg when we asked him if he wants Phaneuf: " I think we will pass" as he laughs with us.

Doesn't look like the captain wanted him in the locker room lol. I don't blame him. Phaneuf seems to have a s***ty attitude at least from the games I've watched.

Edited by kickazz

We won't be acquiring any top end D in FA don't have the cap and E isn't going anywhere.

Yes we do. We can add about 11 million in long term deals. Be it a F or a D or 1 of each. We have plenty of space if we choose to make moves. During the season we are a little tighter on paper. But if guys like Kindl, Smith Helm etc... are heading out, we can still do it.