• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

Reading into some things:

McPhee talked at the combine about how he was talking to other GMs about who they wanted to protect, contracts they wanted to dump, players Vegas likes, etc. The implication being that teams have a decent idea about what's going to happen. Nothing set in stone of course, but a general notion.

Kenny says he's talked to pretty much everyone, and one of the main reasons is trying to move a goalie. Also says he isn't making a deal with Vegas.

Putting all that together it sounds like Kenny believes Vegas has some interest in our goalies, possibly because McPhee told him.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

But by trading Green to Edmonton, we'd free up cap space, that would be used to sign Girardi?

I'd still like to use an asset to get Vegas to take Ericsson, but we all know that isn't going to happen. It's not that I think anyone that is left unprotected would be a huge loss, it's just that it would be a huge gain to lose Ericsson. And again, I don't even think Ericsson is THAT bad, just that we could use the cap space, and even more than that, the roster spot.

Just worried if we got rid of Ericsson holland would give another stupid  signing to someone we don't need , rather save the money for when the times needed and we can land someone impactful ... Not a fan of ericsson but at this point he has 2 more yrs , suffer another season or trade him now with some of his salary, but we both know it won't happen 

8 hours ago, Buppy said:

Reading into some things:

McPhee talked at the combine about how he was talking to other GMs about who they wanted to protect, contracts they wanted to dump, players Vegas likes, etc. The implication being that teams have a decent idea about what's going to happen. Nothing set in stone of course, but a general notion.

Kenny says he's talked to pretty much everyone, and one of the main reasons is trying to move a goalie. Also says he isn't making a deal with Vegas.

Putting all that together it sounds like Kenny believes Vegas has some interest in our goalies, possibly because McPhee told him.

Better be Howard he has interest in...

6 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Just worried if we got rid of Ericsson holland would give another stupid  signing to someone we don't need , rather save the money for when the times needed and we can land someone impactful ... Not a fan of ericsson but at this point he has 2 more yrs , suffer another season or trade him now with some of his salary, but we both know it won't happen 

You're missing my point. You say you don't want to trade Ericsson because you're afraid Holland will sign another bad contract, but then you go on to say that we should trade Green (which would free up even more cap space) to sign a "Dumba type". Why does trading Ericsson equal signing another bad player / contract, but trading Green equals signing / trading for a good player / contract?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/06/14/ted-kulfan-projects-protected-unprotected-wings/102863326/

Ted Kulfan of The Detroit News projects us to protect Howard over Mrazek... Hopefully this is just his (dumb) opinion, not an inside scoop...

He has us protecting...

Zetterberg, Nielsen, Nyquist, Tatar, Abdelkader, Mantha, Athanasiou - Pretty much exactly what we should expect. I'm fine with it.

Green, DeKeyser, Jensen - Pretty much this. Jensen could be swapped for either Ouellet or Sproul and I'd be okay with it.

Howard - If Howard is protected over Mrazek, Holland is a f***ing moron. I can't imagine this being the case though...

Yup, Holland should be fired if he loses a 3rd line forward / 3rd pairing defenseman in the expansion draft. Not because they're good players, but because they're cheap. Whoever we lose, won't be close to the top player Vegas picks up. Some teams will likely lose borderline top line forwards, top pair defensemen and starting goalies. But yeah, we should pay Vegas to take Howard (who is a starting caliber goalie) so we don't lose one of our 3rd string players...

If we're paying Vegas to take a player it should not be Howard...

47 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

If we lose Nosek, Jensen, Ouellet, or Sheahan, then Holland should be fired.  Holland, and a lot of fans, fail to grasp the COST of training a player to get him NHL ready.  These guys are all seasoned and entering their primes.  Are they 1st line players?  No way.  Sheahan and Nosek are 3rd line guys, and Jensen and Ouellet are 3rd pairing guys.  But they are all young, cheap, and inexpensive.  Holland should be trading Howard and payment of his cap hit to Vegas in exchange for protection.  He's too stupid to do something like that though.

No.  It would be stupid for him to do something like that. 

It's not as if Mrazek has claimed the throne as our number one.

Expose Howard.  Nothing more.  Vegas will be selecting Fleury for their #1.  It's practically written on the wall.

If we're "paying" Vegas for anything it should be to take Ericsson off our hands.

My guess is Helm is a goner.

Edited by e_prime

That better be speculation. First no deals to ditch a contract to better our team, now protecting Howard over Mrazek...and he says he has his eye in the playoffs? Not with Ericsson and Howard taking up valuable cap and roster spots. I'm going back to what I said before, but them both out. The hit is very minimal over the length of the extended term. This team needs to get better, not stay the same.

Eye on the playoffs...eye on my ass. How can Mr. I jr. Stand for this?

Here is a question for everyone.......If management feels that Mrazek was a flash in the pan and last season is exactly indicative of what he is, should the protect Howard and hope Mrazek gets taken? Because if this is the case, protecting Howard likely is the right move.

I dont personally believe this, but if they do I can see their thought process.

I see what you're saying kliq, but I really hope this is not what they see. 

Even if Mrazek is a guy who's always going to be a 1A/1B type goalie, you gotta keep him over Howie...   If there's anyone on the team where we know "exactly what they are indicative of" it's Jimmy Howard. 

I don't think I need to regurgitate all the pros/cons of Howard, but for clarity's sake, I am not a guy who thinks we need to jettison Howard as quickly as possible or at any/all costs. 

Edited by e_prime

If that is managements thought process, I really question their ability to manage this team going forward. The only situation you MIGHT be able to justify protecting Howard over Mrazek is if we're in win now mode, going for the Cup this season. We're not, and even if we were, I'd still choose Mrazek over Howard. Jimmy is a very good goaltender, but he is also 33 years old (8 years older than Petr). You go with the younger guy with higher upside 10 out of 10 times, especially for a team rebuilding (or retooling)...

22 minutes ago, e_prime said:

I see what you're saying kliq, but I really hope this is not what they see. 

Even if Mrazek is a guy who's always going to be a 1A/1B type goalie, you gotta keep him over Howie...   If there's anyone on the team where we know "exactly what they are indicative of" it's Jimmy Howard. 

I don't think I need to regurgitate all the pros/cons of Howard, but for clarity's sake, I am not a guy who thinks we need to jettison Howard as quickly as possible or at any/all costs. 

For the record i agree, I'm just trying to give a different perspective.

...and here's the thing CRL.  It's totally do-able.  This upcoming season should totally be the Jimmy/Petr show.  ...and why not the next?  ...and maybe the year after that too.

Do I want to be paying two goalies $9million against the cap? No.  ...but then again, why the hell not?  Neither of these guys is hurting further player development, nor are they the singular reason behind winning or losing games.  Figure out who's the real deal... or maybe, just maybe, they realize that they need each other to win... decide that they each can get paid $4million and everyone lives happily ever after.

8 minutes ago, e_prime said:

...and here's the thing CRL.  It's totally do-able.  This upcoming season should totally be the Jimmy/Petr show.  ...and why not the next?  ...and maybe the year after that too.

Do I want to be paying two goalies $9million against the cap? No.  ...but then again, why the hell not?  Neither of these guys is hurting further player development, nor are they the singular reason behind winning or losing games.  Figure out who's the real deal... or maybe, just maybe, they realize that they need each other to win... decide that they each can get paid $4million and everyone lives happily ever after.

I'd actually prefer Vegas takes neither and we keep both, so I can watch Jimmy prove he is the superior netminder over Mraz and I can rub it in around here.

That being said, If Mrazek gets his attitude and bad play crap together and actually turns out to be a decent young goaltender, I'll gladly eat crow cause it will be good for the Red Wings.  

If Mrazek is left unprotected and get claimed by Vegas, what happens when Jimmy gets hurt in game #20? We are stuck with Coreau as a starter? That'd ensure the best odds in the draft lottery next year. We'd also all be way more miserable than we are today lol. At this point in Jimmy's career there is zero chance of him playing a full season. Have to protect Mrazek.

5 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

If Mrazek is left unprotected and get claimed by Vegas, what happens when Jimmy gets hurt in game #20? We are stuck with Coreau as a starter? That'd ensure the best odds in the draft lottery next year. We'd also all be way more miserable than we are today lol. At this point in Jimmy's career there is zero chance of him playing a full season. Have to protect Mrazek.

I'd think you'd see Coreau and Machovsky get chances. Sadly, Mrazek wasn't much better than Coreau at times last season.

Mrazek has been a pile of dog crap since February 2016.  I don't care how young he is, that's a pretty serious downward trend.  I don't know if he went out for his birthday, tried something new, and got hooked, or if water found its level and this is how good he really is, if he just pouted because Howard got the net back after Mrazek struggled early, or what.  It's hard to say it's the team when Howard was playing behind the same D and had far superior numbers, other than the W-L thanks to almost no goal support.

As far as who they lose, I think protecting Jensen is a mistake because I don't believe he'll be any better than an OK 3rd pairing guy, where XO has more potential and is a steadier player overall.  I'd still protect Sheahan over Abdelkader or any of the other higher paid 3rd line caliber players because of his contract vs. theirs.  Nosek is nothing but a 4th liner, I'd be surprised if Vegas took him.  Sproul COULD take a big step forward, but I don't think it's likely.  They should have tried to move him in a package for younger established d-man after he won the OHL defenseman of the year award, like I said at the time.   

Sounds like big balls Bergevin isn't done yet. Mckenzie says the team to watch now is Minny. Brodin talks are heating up with lots of interest coming from the Habs. Sounds like they will try to replace Sergachev with Brodin.

On that note as well, contract talks with Radulov have halted. If he doesn't come down on his asking price Rads may hit the open market.

Maybe the organization knows something about it's other younger goalies. I'm a huge Mrazek slappie, but in the end it's a business. We'd lose $4M in cap and we'd keep our younger players up front and on D. I'd still he was an idiot for not protecting Mrazek, but, whatever, we all knew that for years now...

39 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Maybe the organization knows something about it's other younger goalies. I'm a huge Mrazek slappie, but in the end it's a business. We'd lose $4M in cap and we'd keep our younger players up front and on D. I'd still he was an idiot for not protecting Mrazek, but, whatever, we all knew that for years now...

You don't have to worry about mrazek going unprotected. We'd trade him before letting that happen.