• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Looking ahead at expansion draft

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

Preds protected Jarnkrok, kind of surprising. Although I thought he played great in the finals.

Why surprised? Protecting young players on good contracts is what smart GM's are doing. And then there's GM's that will elect to protect older players on worse contracts. Protecting Jarnkrok over Neal is very similar to protecting Sheahan over Abdelkader, except Holland did the exact opposite, while also protecting the older, more injury prone, more expensive goaltender...

1 hour ago, amato said:

Does the islanders protecting 5 d-men say more about the depth of their young d-men or the weakness of their forwards past Tavares? :P 

And De Haan isn't one of them... 

Pulock has some promise, and I admit I don't know anything about Pelech, but...exposing Nelson, Strome, and Baily. I guess if they were going to protect Pulock, they could have only protected one of them anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Then again, there are likely to be deals we don't yet know about making some of this moot. 

14 minutes ago, Buppy said:

And De Haan isn't one of them... 

Pulock has some promise, and I admit I don't know anything about Pelech, but...exposing Nelson, Strome, and Baily. I guess if they were going to protect Pulock, they could have only protected one of them anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Then again, there are likely to be deals we don't yet know about making some of this moot. 

Yup here it is 

Exposing Mrazek screams that Holland wants to sign a UFA to get this team back to bubble status. There is no other reason why he would do it.

3 hours ago, Shaman said:

Exposing Mrazek screams that Holland wants to sign a UFA to get this team back to bubble status. There is no other reason why he would do it.

Well. During the same radio show saying he wasn't going to give up assets to save players he also said his mind is still on making the playoffs. He doesn't get it. 

8 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

Well. During the same radio show saying he wasn't going to give up assets to save players he also said his mind is still on making the playoffs. He doesn't get it. 

I'm not going to sit here and say KH does not feel this way as he likely does, but I would be shocked if ownership didnt also feel the same way. At the end of the day the GM can think whatever he wants, its the owner who gives the direction of the team. 

Looking at the list of available players and of course not knowing what side deals are in place, it's entirely possible that Vegas may have a better defence that we do.  

I'm a Mrazek fan but the logic may be that they see a cheaper option in Coreau.  Also, he seems to fit the new mold for goalies he's big, Mrazek not so much.

16 minutes ago, mackel said:

Looking at the list of available players and of course not knowing what side deals are in place, it's entirely possible that Vegas may have a better defence that we do.  

I'm a Mrazek fan but the logic may be that they see a cheaper option in Coreau.  Also, he seems to fit the new mold for goalies he's big, Mrazek not so much.

Coreau's size does not help his game at all

12 hours ago, mackel said:

I'm not sure it does either, I'm throwing it out there as a possible line of reasoning.

Then the question becomes, can he learn to use his size to his advantage.

Edited by kliq

10 hours ago, mackel said:

Based on what I saw from Coreau while he was with the Wings and how he played in the AHL playoffs, he is not a suitable option to even be our backup.  I think we need to go into a new direction at this position.  

Similarly, I feel the same way about our defense.  If we lost any of them, they wouldn't be missed and there really isn't too much, prospect wise, that's filling me up with any confidence.  Maybe Holland should consider cycling in "band-aid" veteran defensemen (Polak, Russell, Girardi, etc) until we have something that looks promising come up.  I feel very good about our forward situation. They have lots of promise and letting these young guys take the reigns makes sense, but with the defensemen, not so much.

Edited by xtrememachine1

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/button-and-seravalli-draft-the-golden-knights-1.782983

Interesting to see Button has Vegas taking Sproul and Seravalli has them taking Ouellet. Neither think they will take Mrazek... I'm hoping Seravalli is right on this one.

Another theory I have, is maybe exposing Mrazek is Holland's way of protecting Sproul, XO, Nosek etc. Maybe he truly is higher on all those guys then Mrazek and by exposing Mrazek he knows he likely saves all those kids. Who knows. I still dont agree with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then the question becomes, can he learn to use his size to his advantage.

He HAS to. Might require a completely new approach to what he's used to, but goalies get re-trained all the time. Osgood had to change when he returned to the Wings, and he did it without complaint and became a better goalie than he already was. Damn I miss Osgood. Lol

The league is trending toward bigger goalies. Coreau fits that mold, but he had to learn to play like a big goalie. Ends up on the ice a lot where his size is negated. Needs to stand tall and cover as much net as he can, cut angles, give NOTHIN to shoot at. As for Mrazek, he isn't that small. Pics I've seen of him side by side with Howard, they're pretty much the same height. Mrazek is a bit smaller body wise. Think he's listed as 6'2". A lot of stats sites differ though, as they usually do.

17 minutes ago, kliq said:

Another theory I have, is maybe exposing Mrazek is Holland's way of protecting Sproul, XO, Nosek etc. Maybe he truly is higher on all those guys then Mrazek and by exposing Mrazek he knows he likely saves all those kids. Who knows. I still dont agree with it.

Yeah, that would still be terrible asset management in my opinion. Especially when McPhee has been very open about making deals with teams that want to keep players.

Of the players we could potentially lose, the biggest losses in my opinion would be Mrazek and then Sproul. Then I'd put Nosek, Sheahan and Ouellet in a second tier below them. And as much a fan of Helm as I am, with age and cap hit being a factor, I'd like to see Vegas take him. Of course if they were stupid enough to take anyone else (Frk, Glendening, Callahan, Tangradi, Kronwall, Ericsson, Lashoff, McIlrath, etc.) I'd be ecstatic...

On 6/18/2017 at 8:04 AM, e_prime said:

CRL has gotta be lovin' that goalie name on the protect list. :lol:

HA HA HA!

I'd like to officially take this moment to say I told ya so, told ya so, told ya so. You Petr the great fan boys with your baby-Hasek circle jerks were WRONG. Howard was, is, and will forever be, the more superior goaltender. Thunderous booms of "JIH-ME HOW-ERD" will echo from the Pizza Palace for years to come.

I invite you all to take this moment to sing the praises of your netminder.

2010+NHL+Awards+Portraits+PlqwXT4q26Jl.j

Jimmy Howard #35 is the future. Praise be.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Thunderous booms of "JIH-ME HOW-ERD" will echo from the Pizza Palace for years to come.

I invite you all to take this moment to sing the praises of your netminder.

2010+NHL+Awards+Portraits+PlqwXT4q26Jl.j

Well... at least (and note, could vary with trade deadline variables) two years into the future.  ;)