• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jedi

Frans Nielson signs 6 year $5.25m AAV contract with Detroit

Rate this topic

I am echoing what others have said already, but I think it needs to be echoed...

I feel like a lot of the 'How did Holland sign this guy?' and 'Where's our change?!?!?' posts really ignore the part of the equation where you have to get someone to agree to come... Stamkos wasn't available. Okposo didn't want to come here.

I think Nielson will be good, and makes the team better than it was last year. Of course we would all want a shorter term... but this is the reality of the market.

Both, Holland more recently.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/04/10/wings-opt-andersson-over-mantha-start-playoffs/82866748/

“Anthony Mantha was a spare part in the (AHL) Calder Cup playoffs a year ago. Why does anyone think he is going to be the answer in Detroit?”

To me that is simply throwing someone under the bus and demonstrates a lack of control, and a CYA mentality. I can't believe for a second that is meant to motivate Mantha and if it was, KH needs to take 101 pysch course and a 101 management course. If any of us said something like this online, that's fine, but for a GM, that is absurd. And no, this is not the same as when Bowman would subtly play mind games to get players off their a$$. If I was Mantha, I'd be begging to be traded. A smart GM could see the potential of this kid in a better environment with the right mix of ways to motivate him to play to his potential.

Mantha is mentally weak if something like that bothered him lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both, Holland more recently.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/04/10/wings-opt-andersson-over-mantha-start-playoffs/82866748/

“Anthony Mantha was a spare part in the (AHL) Calder Cup playoffs a year ago. Why does anyone think he is going to be the answer in Detroit?”

To me that is simply throwing someone under the bus and demonstrates a lack of control, and a CYA mentality. I can't believe for a second that is meant to motivate Mantha and if it was, KH needs to take 101 pysch course and a 101 management course. If any of us said something like this online, that's fine, but for a GM, that is absurd. And no, this is not the same as when Bowman would subtly play mind games to get players off their a$$. If I was Mantha, I'd be begging to be traded. A smart GM could see the potential of this kid in a better environment with the right mix of ways to motivate him to play to his potential.

Yawn. Overly sensitive way of thinking. Mantha is a big boy and I'm glad he hasn't requested for a trade and gotten a boo boo over this. He seems to be taking it better than you have lol. Haven't heard him complain about much and saw his family enjoy his first goal in the NHL as well.

I hate that Holland comment with all of my heart and soul. It's stupid on so many levels. It encapsulates everything that's wrong with the state of the Wings.

Just for starters (I'm only going to launch one complaint here, but please know that I could write an entire essay about this quote), "Why does anyone think he is going to be the answer in Detroit?" is a straw man argument, one Holland has trotted out before when attempting -- and failing -- to convincingly rationalize a decision to hold a younger player back, i.e. keep him in the minors when it's obvious to anyone and everyone not named Ken Holland that the player in question should be playing in the National Hockey League.

People don't want Anthony Mantha in the lineup because they feel he's The Answer. They don't feel he's The Answer. What people feel is that Anthony Mantha brings certain elements to the lineup that are sorely lacking and sorely needed, e.g. size, high-level vision/thinking, scoring prowess, playmaking ability.

It's like a Wings fan saying, "Thomas Vanek is 32, slow-footed, poor defensively, and he doesn't drive possession. He was at the center of a gambling scandal. He was bought out by the Wild (i.e. they are literally paying him to not play for them). Why does anyone think he is going to be the answer in Detroit?"

Holland didn't sign Thomas Vanek because he feels he's The Answer. Holland doesn't think he's The Answer. What Holland feels is that Thomas Vanek brings certain elements to the lineup that are sorely lacking and sorely needed, e.g. size...high-level vision/thinking...scoring prowess...playmaking ability....

Yawn. Overly sensitive way of thinking. Mantha is a big boy and I'm glad he hasn't requested for a trade and gotten a boo boo over this. He seems to be taking it better than you have lol. Haven't heard him complain about much and saw his family enjoy his first goal in the NHL as well.

Are you and the other guy really this obtuse? It's not about Mantha's feelings, it is about Holland's lack of professionalism and using others as his excuse, not to mention verbally degrading a potential trade asset. Maybe only someone who has real responsibility and graduated beyond paper routes, flipping burgers and mowing lawns would understand.

Are you and the other guy really this obtuse? It's not about Mantha's feelings, it is about Holland's lack of professionalism and using others as his excuse, not to mention verbally degrading a potential trade asset. Maybe only someone who has real responsibility and graduated beyond paper routes, flipping burgers and mowing lawns would understand.

It's sounds like it IS about feelings the way you put it. "If I was Mantha I'd want a trade". Blah blah blah boo freakin hoo. It sounds like you wanted a Jonathan Drouin 2.0 soap opera with the Red Wings. And what exactly happened with Drouin's situation? Jonathan Drouin looked like an idiot spoiled brat. Mantha clearly handled the situation well and didn't turn the it into a matinee of General Hospital like you were hoping for.

If anything this entire situation makes Mantha look more professional. He handled it well, didn't overreact, and he came back to GR after Devallano's comments and had an excellent season. He even got called up and got to play with Datsyuk and scored some goals and made Grandad proud. And with a second bout of "criticism" from Holland, Mantha again, handled the situation without overreacting like a spoiled child and my guess is he will deter his critics and hopefully win a spot in the line-up 2016/17.

And if he does make the line up. If he does become a top 6 winger in a few years. If he does become the face of one of the most well respected organizations in hockey history.. It will be quite funny to come back and read your overreacting post.

And I'm sorry, the last time I checked, in the real world when people overreact against management and authority, whether it's in the business world, the medical field or in the domain of law, they tend to get their ass lit on fire.

So instead of being closed-minded and thinking of it through the eye of a Holland critic, perhaps you could look at it through Mantha's perspective? He's a first round pick that has a reputation to maintain and he chose the path of professionalism and poise. Good for him.

Edited by kickazz

I know Frans isn't Datsyuk but it will be nice to rely on another top center playing over 80 games this year. Frans has only missed 5 games in the last 5 years which bodes well for us since we always have injured players.

I know Frans isn't Datsyuk but it will be nice to rely on another top center playing over 80 games this year. Frans has only missed 5 games in the last 5 years which bodes well for us since we always have injured players.

When he gets injured and misses half the season, I'm blaming you.

Ok Andy Dufresne :lol:

Nielsen will lead the team in points this year...he will have a career points outburst.

Vanek will score 35 goals, 20 on the PP.

Ott will get 68 games in and lead the team in hits and PIM's.

Nyquist and Howard will both be traded along with one of Smith or E. Howard maybe not until the deadline.

One of Pulkkinen or Jurco will not be A Red Wing to start the season.

Helm and Abby will have career years along with Sheahan and Tatar.

Larkin will outscore Eichel and Matthews this season.

...bold predictions part 1.

Nielsen will lead the team in points this year...he will have a career points outburst.

Vanek will score 35 goals, 20 on the PP.

Ott will get 68 games in and lead the team in hits and PIM's.

Nyquist and Howard will both be traded along with one of Smith or E. Howard maybe not until the deadline.

One of Pulkkinen or Jurco will not be A Red Wing to start the season.

Helm and Abby will have career years along with Sheahan and Tatar.

Larkin will outscore Eichel and Matthews this season.

...bold predictions part 1.

My predictions:

Nielsen : 112 points

Vanek : 47 goals, 31 assets (while playing on the 3rd line + winning 1st Vezina).

Errorson : 84 points (Maurice Rocket Richard trophy)

Ott : 357 penalty minutes, 654 hits, + 43 (Winning 1st Lady Bing trophy).

Kronwall : Winning Selke and Calder trophy

And then I woke up

Also, Helm was a 50 goal scorer winning Jennings trophy...

Pretty much sure that KH had a same dream

My predictions:

Nielsen : 112 points

Vanek : 47 goals, 31 assets (while playing on the 3rd line + winning 1st Vezina).

Errorson : 84 points (Maurice Rocket Richard trophy)

Ott : 357 penalty minutes, 654 hits, + 43 (Winning 1st Lady Bing trophy).

Kronwall : Winning Selke and Calder trophy

And then I woke up

Just an FYI, vezina is for goalies, Selke is for best defensive forward and Calder is Rookie of the Year....lol, I guess you were dreaming!

Rocket Richard is for most goals, I'm pretty sure Jennings is for something entirely different too! 300+ pims is not very lady bing-like. :lol:

Edited by LeftWinger

Just an FYI, vezina is for goalies, Selke is for best defensive forward and Calder is Rookie of the Year....lol, I guess you were dreaming!

Rocket Richard is for most goals, I'm pretty sure Jennings is for something entirely different too! 300+ pims is not very lady bing-like. :lol:

Who cares, with this roster we are winning everything

If he still qualifies, I think given 17+ mins a game, AA could have a great run at 2nd place in the Calder voting. We all know Mathews is the winner already. Although he is American, so that takes a few points away from him...AA is Canadian, he gets bonus points, but playing for the hated Wings takes some away too...

If he still qualifies, I think given 17+ mins a game, AA could have a great run at 2nd place in the Calder voting. We all know Mathews is the winner already. Although he is American, so that takes a few points away from him...AA is Canadian, he gets bonus points, but playing for the hated Wings takes some away too...

Given the fact that KH resigned Helm, I'm pretty much sure that AA will be sent down.

Edited by Dominator2005

Been pondering on Neilsen.

I think he will definitely play out his contract and rarely miss games. (knock on wood). The only worry is how much his production will decline.

But thinking about it, by the time he gets older, Larkin, Svech, Mantha will be into their primes. So I'm not sure if Neilsen's production will taper off all the much.