• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Barrie said:

I heard on the radio today the Oilers are about to make McDavid the highest paid player in the league! $13.5 Million a year for 7 years!

Anyone else thinks that's crazy? I know it's McDavid, but he's only in his second year! Should he already be making more then guys like Crosby and Kane?

If McDavid was smart he'd take less so they can continue to build a really solid team around him. Be contenders for years.

Just now, frankgrimes said:

Soon the best player in the game, not even 20 years old and will be the next Crosby. Katz and the Oilers will get back way more than what they are paying the guy.

Crosby signed a contract that's been made illegal under the new CBA, plus his contract is worth 114 million $.

Mathews, Eichel and Laine have to love this because their deals will now also be massive.

That was the first thing I thought, it's going to make salaries skyrocket for other guys his age! McDavid should be the highest paid player in the game, but not this soon.

10 minutes ago, Barrie said:

That was the first thing I thought, it's going to make salaries skyrocket for other guys his age! McDavid should be the highest paid player in the game, but not this soon.

Well with the new lockout coming and new rules of course young guys especially ones this good will ask for the moon now. Some may think it's high or too early but the guy is so worth it.

Man the Oilers: Gretzky, Messier and now McDavid and Draisaitl wow

Absolutely ******* not. 

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hell yea!

For what purpose? To overpay? To over-extend?  Word on the street is he wants 3 years and who knows what he wants $$$ wise? What good would he do us? 

6 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

I feel like guys like Yakupov are the exact types of players that the Wings should be going after.

They should be going after, but would Yakupov WANT to play here?  That's the other side people are forgetting.  He was a bust on the Oilers, plays just one year in St Louis and is a free agent now.  Whatever team he signs with now will make or break him as an NHL player.  He needs to sign with contender that will give him other good linemates to help boost his stats and get his game on track.  A Chicago or Pittsburgh type of team could do that.  Maybe even Toronto.  I don't think Detroit is the ideal fit for him, as much as I'd love to have him here.

6 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

Edmonton being able to sign McDavid for anything less than max is a bargain for them.

Not when it cripples your team cap wise.  It crippled the Pens with Crosby and Malkin until guys like Murray, Haglin, Bonino, Schultz and other low cap hit players joined the team. Paying a guy that much in a team sport like hockey isn't really a good idea when you're going for a championship.

1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

They should be going after, but would Yakupov WANT to play here?  That's the other side people are forgetting.  He was a bust on the Oilers, plays just one year in St Louis and is a free agent now.  Whatever team he signs with now will make or break him as an NHL player.  He needs to sign with contender that will give him other good linemates to help boost his stats and get his game on track.  A Chicago or Pittsburgh type of team could do that.  Maybe even Toronto.  I don't think Detroit is the ideal fit for him, as much as I'd love to have him here.

Not when it cripples your team cap wise.  It crippled the Pens with Crosby and Malkin until guys like Murray, Haglin, Bonino, Schultz and other low cap hit players joined the team. Paying a guy that much in a team sport like hockey isn't really a good idea when you're going for a championship.

Yakupov probably wouldn't want to play in Detroit but that's not really the point. The focus should be getting young guys who are undervalued rather than old past their prime d men like Hainsey and Girardi.

As for the Pens comparison I really don't think that's a good comparison at all. Pittsburgh has now won 3 Stanley Cups and is one of the highest valued franchises in the league with one of the strongest fanbases. I would trade for that in a heartbeat regardless of what that does to the cap. McDavid is a generational talent and he's worth every penny he gets IMO

8 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

As for the Pens comparison I really don't think that's a good comparison at all. Pittsburgh has now won 3 Stanley Cups and is one of the highest valued franchises in the league with one of the strongest fanbases. I would trade for that in a heartbeat regardless of what that does to the cap. McDavid is a generational talent and he's worth every penny he gets IMO

The Penguins were serious under achievers (at least in the playoffs anyways) before lower cap hit players like the ones I mentioned joined their team.  They are successful because they're getting good production from players that have small cap hits and its off setting the massive cap hits from players like Crosby, Malkin and Letang.  If Edmonton is going to have success as a team while paying McDavid $13 mil a year, they'll need to find similar players to off set that cap hit, which isn't easy.  Take Tampa Bay for example.  Going into the cap era, they were paying three players a ton of money and the rest of the team suffered.

1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

The Penguins were serious under achievers (at least in the playoffs anyways) before lower cap hit players like the ones I mentioned joined their team.  They are successful because they're getting good production from players that have small cap hits and its off setting the massive cap hits from players like Crosby, Malkin and Letang.  If Edmonton is going to have success as a team while paying McDavid $13 mil a year, they'll need to find similar players to off set that cap hit, which isn't easy.  Take Tampa Bay for example.  Going into the cap era, they were paying three players a ton of money and the rest of the team suffered.

I get what you're saying and I agree but at the same time look at what a full year with a healthy McDavid did for their team. The Oilers were a complete joke of a franchise for an entire decade and then all of a sudden adding 1 guy to the fold increased their Stanley Cup equity by a sizable amount. At this point, they are a team with very few good players after McDavid so even with him making $13 mil it's not like they can get much worse unless he gets injured or somehow declines very quickly. Guys like McDavid are few and far between, he's already the best player in the NHL at age 20 and is likely to improve over the next ~3-5 years.

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

If I was a youngish offensive minded player I wouldn't come within 500 miles of a team coached by Blashill

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

It's amazing how your whipping boy is Blashill, when in reality our roster isn't even that good and even Babcock struggled terribly with it.

I mean not a fan of Blashill myself but it's hilarious how you exaggerate the problem.

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

It's amazing how your whipping boy is Blashill, when in reality our roster isn't even that good and even Babcock struggled terribly with it.

I mean not a fan of Blashill myself but it's hilarious how you exaggerate the problem.

Ya it's getting to Lefty/Franzen levels. I swear there is a comment in every top thread right now.