• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

Mrazek "Maturing, could bounce back like Howard"

Rate this topic

Salajko talks about all three goalies. Says Mrazek has started to mature and digging in and working hard. Knows it's a contract season for him. Good stuff!

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/wings-jeff-salajko-mrazek-maturing-could-bounce-back-like-howard-did/c-290388348

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. We'll see. But it's probably the most positive thing about him in the media for awhile now.

Jeff says he takes part ownership of Petr's down year, and has to find the right buttons to push with him to do things a little differently. Has to come into camp with an open mind and put the work in.

Hope he does and can correct his bad habits.

Ironic that they get rid of Bedard (Howards coach for a long time) and bring in Mrazek's coach and Howard ends up having the better year. Hockey Karma lol. 

Well, Howard put the work in to improve. Like said in the article, its maturity that got him there, refusing to give up accept that he'd be only a backup, and when Mrazek left an opening, he jumped on it. Mrazek needs to gain some maturity, put the work in, and he can bounce back too. All the talent and confidence in the world can be useless when you don't work hard to keep sharp and just shrug off four goals against like it's nothing. He was simply pissed off at Blash because of losing starts, didn't want to accept coaching help to correct problems like being too aggressive and being caught out of position, and his game suffered. One goalie coach, not named, said he makes what should be fairly simple saves look spectacular because he's out of position.

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Well, Howard put the work in to improve. Like said in the article, its maturity that got him there, refusing to give up accept that he'd be only a backup, and when Mrazek left an opening, he jumped on it. Mrazek needs to gain some maturity, put the work in, and he can bounce back too. All the talent and confidence in the world can be useless when you don't work hard to keep sharp and just shrug off four goals against like it's nothing. He was simply pissed off at Blash because of losing starts, didn't want to accept coaching help to correct problems like being too aggressive and being caught out of position, and his game suffered. One goalie coach, not named, said he makes what should be fairly simple saves look spectacular because he's out of position.

Wish I knew his name because this is the best description of Petr I've heard so far. Glad you're coming around.

Wish I knew his name because this is the best description of Petr I've heard so far. Glad you're coming around.

It is a good description. He's often way too aggressive and gets caught. Same coach also said he's got incredible athletic ability to be able to make those saves though. If he is getting more open to coaching suggestions and criticism, and willing to work, excellent. Even the best of them needed help along the way.

So Matej is "pencilled in for the starters job in Toledo" to start the season. WTF, I thought at least he'd be Coreau's backup in GR. But that's McCollum's spot....

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/07/14/detroit-red-wings-matej-machovsky/479214001/

Detroit- Howard, Mrazek

GR- Coreau, McCollum

Toledo- Matej, ??

Coreau also has to clear waivers this season on any call ups.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

So Matej is "pencilled in for the starters job in Toledo" to start the season. WTF, I thought at least he'd be Coreau's backup in GR. But that's McCollum's spot....

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/07/14/detroit-red-wings-matej-machovsky/479214001/

Detroit- Howard, Mrazek

GR- Coreau, McCollum

Toledo- Matej, ??

Coreau also has to clear waivers this season on any call ups.

That's probably where the McCollum signing comes in. 

From what I'm hearing now, he's working hard," Wings goaltending coach Jeff Salajko ...

hearing?! So it's all gossip about his working, he didn't even see it for himself... Who told Wings goaltending coach about Mrazek? Marzek agent? :)
The rest of that article is just wishful laud thinking...

From what I'm hearing now, he's working hard," Wings goaltending coach Jeff Salajko ...
hearing?! So it's all gossip about his working, he didn't even see it for himself... Who told Wings goaltending coach about Mrazek? Marzek agent?

Doubt he saw it for himself if Mrazek is at home in the CR until camp. There are Wings scouts in Europe though. Maybe he got it from them? Maybe he has a goalie coach over there he's working with who reports to Jeff?

But let's just totally dismiss it all as hearsay and wishful thinking...

2 hours ago, ami said:

hearing?! So it's all gossip about his working, he didn't even see it for himself... Who told Wings goaltending coach about Mrazek? Marzek agent? :)

Well, I have seen other articles to this effect. One that I'm sure you can find if you search had links to Mrazek's instagram and this video that apparently he posted the day after being exposed (and the article guessed it was to send a message):

Well, I have seen other articles to this effect. One that I'm sure you can find if you search had links to Mrazek's instagram and this video that apparently he posted the day after being exposed (and the article guessed it was to send a message):

Keep it up Petr!!

15 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

What a string bean

Back in 82 I could throw one of those plates a quarter mile

26 minutes ago, sputman said:

lol "maturing," at 25 years old, like you just turn a switch.

And I don't really remember Howard ever being immature.

Howard ran his mouth to the media too much and was negative plenty even just a couple seasons ago. He didn’t take well to Mrazek moving past him at all, even at 30+ years of age. And he hasn’t handled pressure and bad games well consistently either throughout his career. He took far longer to make it into the league because he was lazy and in poor condition in the minors; when he made the team, at an age that I believe is older than Mrazek even is now, it was because they were out of options to keep him in the minors and it was his last chance. 

This whole idea of Howard being a mature, mental-rock has only been born in the last year or so when people decided to get whiny about Mrazek.

42 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

Howard ran his mouth to the media too much and was negative plenty even just a couple seasons ago. He didn’t take well to Mrazek moving past him at all, even at 30+ years of age. And he hasn’t handled pressure and bad games well consistently either throughout his career. He took far longer to make it into the league because he was lazy and in poor condition in the minors; when he made the team, at an age that I believe is older than Mrazek even is now, it was because they were out of options to keep him in the minors and it was his last chance. 

This whole idea of Howard being a mature, mental-rock has only been born in the last year or so when people decided to get whiny about Mrazek.

I don't remember this, can you remind me of what Howard said?

Where did you read this about laziness and poor conditioning?

1 hour ago, gcom007 said:

Are these the "alternative facts" that I keep reading about?

;)

I guess I just forgot about that period, I really don't remember it.

Edited by sputman

2 hours ago, gcom007 said:

Jimmy became a full time starting goaltender at 25, that is not that late for a goalie.

Can you provide something to back these claims up?  Based on your "whiny" comment, I am prompted to believe this is an emotional based post opposed to a factual post.