• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, kjw25 said:

I think the offer to AA from Holland is fair. I just hate the fact we have no cap space at all because of Hollands total miss management. DeKeyser, Adbelkader and Helm contracts just make no sense at all, so pathetic. 

I see where you are coming from in regards to Abby & Helm, but I disagree with the DD contract. He's a bit overpaid, sure. But for a team that has struggled mightily in the D department, you need to lock up your only legit top 4 young D-man. The issue with DD is that last year he played first pairing and fans expected top pairing production from him, same issue fans have with Nyquist/Tatar. Put DD back on 2nd pairing where he belongs with a solid partner and nobody will have an issue with him. 5mil for a top 4 guy his his age is not that bad. 

If you could snap your finger and just 3 of E, Howard, Abby, Helm, and Nielsen were gone, nobody would even care about DD's contract.

Edited by kliq

10 hours ago, kliq said:

I see where you are coming from in regards to Abby & Helm, but I disagree with the DD contract. He's a bit overpaid, sure. But for team that has struggled mightily in the D department, you need to lock up your only legit top 4 young D-man. The issue with DD is that last year he played first pairing and fans expected top pairing production from him, same issue fans have with Nyquist/Tatar. Put DD back on 2nd pairing where he belongs with a solid partner and nobody will have an issue with him. 5mil for a top 4 guy his his age is not that bad. 

If you could snap your finger and just 3 of E, Howard, Abby, Helm, and Nielsen were gone, nobody would even care about DD's contract.

Pretty good assessment here.

15 hours ago, kjw25 said:

I think the offer to AA from Holland is fair. I just hate the fact we have no cap space at all because of Hollands total miss management. DeKeyser, Adbelkader and Helm contracts just make no sense at all, so pathetic. 

This.

Nothing against AA, but the reported $1.9 million seems reasonable at this point in time, and yes - Holland has screwed the pooch with 'loyalty' regarding numerous contracts that now handcuffs this franchise.

AA just needs to suck it up - sign a 1 yr deal, and hopefully that idiot Blashill won't bench him 'cause 'not enough intensity, or focus, or sum utter tarded $hit' that he can come up with...Then he'll have enough games played to where he'll at least get arbitration, and a 'fair' deal.

However I do agree with Kliq in regards to DD...He's a decent #3 to #5 Dman on most clubs - however he's been thrust into top pairing duties which he isn't suited for, and it shows...Then again all of our Dmen have taken a step, or two back these past few seasons for one reason, or another.

Edited by F.Michael

On 9/28/2017 at 8:07 PM, krsmith17 said:

Teams must submit their cap-compliant rosters by 5pm EST, Tuesday, October 3rd.

Either he's on or not. Doubt there are any loopholes. Anyone?

Just now, Jacksoni said:

Either he's on or not. Doubt there are any loopholes. Anyone?

He can still be added to the roster after, it would just have to be done simultaneously with another move so we stay cap compliant. He does have to sign prior to December something though (couldn't find the exact date), or he has to sit out the whole year.

30 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

At this point he's doing more harm to his career than if he had just taken the stupid deal lol 

22 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Does he become a ufa if he doesn't sign a contract this year?

Yeah - AA's agent is doing moire harm than good right now, and I believe he won't be a UFA until he hits 27 yrs of age (unless there's some special clause that releases his obligation to the Red Wings if he doesn't sign within the next few seasons that I'm not aware of).

1 hour ago, Euro_Twins said:

At this point he's doing more harm to his career than if he had just taken the stupid deal lol 

I was trying to say that a few weeks ago. Just take the stupid contract and build your reputation, and NHL stats for a better contract down the road.

If your boss offered you a salary, and you thought you were worth more than he offered, would it be your responsibility to take less to prove your worth?  AA obviously feels he's worth more than 1.9 million.  Why should he take less?  You think he's dying to get back on the ice for a coach who doesn't use him much and a team that's going nowhere?  Might as well just trade him at this point.

20 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If your boss offered you a salary, and you thought you were worth more than he offered, would it be your responsibility to take less to prove your worth?  AA obviously feels he's worth more than 1.9 million.  Why should he take less?  You think he's dying to get back on the ice for a coach who doesn't use him much and a team that's going nowhere?  Might as well just trade him at this point.

He should take the offer because it's market value and sitting out is not going to do him any good on any front. Holland will not trade him. No one is going to offer sheet him. If he's smart, he takes the offer and works his ass off to prove he's for real and to earn a big raise when it comes time to negotiate a new contract. If he's sitting out because of Blashill, he needs to get over himself and grow up.

Just now, Dabura said:

He should take the offer because it's market value and sitting out is not going to do him any good on any front. Holland will not trade him. No one is going to offer sheet him. If he's smart, he takes the offer and works his ass off to prove he's for real and to earn a big raise when it comes time to negotiate a new contract. If he's sitting out because of Blashill, he needs to get over himself and grow up.

You saying the offer is market value doesn't make it so.  Market value is determined by supply and demand, not "player comparables".  I will donate $50 dollars to a charity of your choice if you can find a single Ken Holland reference to "comparables" prior to this year.  It's a negotiating tactic.  AA supplies goals.  Ken Holland needs goals.  Hence, Holland has to move toward the upper end of the price range.  So far he's failed to do so, and has alienated a good young talent in the process.  Saying that Holland should offer his young talent what some other GM, who's team is at a totally different point in their lifecycle is offering his, is way off base IMO.  If Holland doesn't want to pay AA 500K more, trade him and be done with it.  

27 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If there was a clause in my contract saying that I was not able to leave my job for another job, then yes. 

Just now, kliq said:

If there was a clause in my contract saying that I was not able to leave my job for another job, then yes. 

No such clause exists in his either.  He's not under contract.  He's absolutely allowed to go play in another league.  Literally NOTHING prohibits him from that.  So again, would you take less money than you think you're worth just because your boss says you should?  Or would you go get another job where you get paid accordingly?

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

You saying the offer is market value doesn't make it so.  Market value is determined by supply and demand, not "player comparables".  I will donate $50 dollars to a charity of your choice if you can find a single Ken Holland reference to "comparables" prior to this year.  It's a negotiating tactic.  AA supplies goals.  Ken Holland needs goals.  Hence, Holland has to move toward the upper end of the price range.  So far he's failed to do so, and has alienated a good young talent in the process.  Saying that Holland should offer his young talent what some other GM, who's team is at a totally different point in their lifecycle is offering his, is way off base IMO.  If Holland doesn't want to pay AA 500K more, trade him and be done with it.  

Your argument is very logical, I can't fault your thinking, however it's just not the way GM's do business when it comes to RFA's. Comparables matter, that is how they determine what a player makes when it does go to arbitration. 

UFA's, different story.

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

No such clause exists in his either.  He's not under contract.  He's absolutely allowed to go play in another league.  Literally NOTHING prohibits him from that.  So again, would you take less money than you think you're worth just because your boss says you should?  Or would you go get another job where you get paid accordingly?

If the only job I could take was in Russia or a European country, then again....yes.

Edited by kliq

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

Your argument is very logical, I can't fault your thinking, however it's just not the way GM's do business when it comes to RFA's. Comparables matter, that is how they determine what a player makes when it does go to arbitration. 

UFA's, different story.

I'm not suggesting that Holland hand the kid a blank check or anything.  But we're talking about 500K here.  500k for a kid who was your second leading goal scorer, a fan favorite (at least up until this), and who is young enough to be a key part of your rebuild.  I'm not sure what IS worth 500k at this point in the Wings' developmental arch if that isn't.  I mean jeez, if Xavier Ouellet is worth 1.3 million then AA is worth 2.3-2.5 easily.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm not suggesting that Holland hand the kid a blank check or anything.  But we're talking about 500K here.  500k for a kid who was your second leading goal scorer, a fan favorite (at least up until this), and who is young enough to be a key part of your rebuild.  I'm not sure what IS worth 500k at this point in the Wings' developmental arch if that isn't.  I mean jeez, if Xavier Ouellet is worth 1.3 million then AA is worth 2.3-2.5 easily.

For the record, I dont think your overall logic is wrong, what I'm saying is that in the NHL for good or for worse, comparables are what GM's use when negotiating with RFA's. Maybe Holland has never said this before, but it is a thing and arbitration is the perfect example of this. 

Personally I think Holland should offer AA around 2.3 as 1.9 does seem a bit low for him.

If I were Holland I would offer him 4 years at 2.5 million.  Would put AA in a tough spot.  If he turns it down, it looks like he's being greedy, and if he accepts he'll likely out perform his contract in 3 of the 4 years. 

20 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

If I were Holland I would offer him 4 years at 2.5 million.  Would put AA in a tough spot.  If he turns it down, it looks like he's being greedy, and if he accepts he'll likely out perform his contract in 3 of the 4 years. 

This could happen if the rumors are true that the Pens want a 3rd line center, and if Holland were wanting to move Sheahan (frees up cap space).