• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

Pre-Season Games

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, sputman said:

Mantha looks so good.

Looks very poised, patient, confident. Seems he's found a way to "slow the game down," as they say.

The whole Mantha-Larkin-Frk line has been great tonight. Reminds me a bit of the Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco line of a few years ago.

I think Larkin has looked really good in the preseason thus far. It's only the preseason, but he does have the look of a legit 2C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Echolalia said:

That puck that was shot out of play was into my row.  I lost it to a 10 year old

You mean to me. 

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Final score is 5-1. Solid win. Encouraging.

But Dahlin bro..

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kickazz said:

But Dahlin bro..

I'm thinking the season's gonna be a win-win for me as a fan. I'll be happy when we win games and I'll be "happy" when we lose games. Just as long as we don't finish in No Man's Land.

(We're gonna finish in No Man's Land. Book it.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'm thinking the season's gonna be a win-win for me as a fan. I'll be happy when we win games and I'll be "happy" when we lose games. Just as long as we don't finish in No Man's Land.

(We're gonna finish in No Man's Land. Book it.)

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

That shot tho.

The thing I like about having Frk on the power play is that he's a serious "shot threat." PKers would, in theory, have to respect that option, which would, in theory, allow us to more effectively push-and-pull the PK box and wrench it out of shape. It would give us a strategic anchoring point for our cycle.

We've lacked an honest-to-goodness weapon on the half-wall who can blast the puck and can also really skate and is also more than willing to bump and grind and scratch and claw and battle it out along the wall and in the corners. If you put him and Nyquist on the same unit and have Nyquist play the high slot role, great things might happen.

Edited by Dabura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dabura said:

That shot tho.

The thing I like about having Frk on the power play is that he's a serious "shot threat." PKers would, in theory, have to respect that option, which would, in theory, allow us to more effectively push-and-pull the PK box and wrench it out of shape. It would give us a strategic anchoring point for our cycle.

We've lacked an honest-to-goodness weapon on the half-wall who can blast the puck and can also really skate and is also more than willing to bump and grind and scratch and claw and battle it out along the wall and in the corners. If you put him and Nyquist on the same unit and have Nyquist play the high slot role, great things might happen.

This so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I'm thinking the season's gonna be a win-win for me as a fan. I'll be happy when we win games and I'll be "happy" when we lose games. Just as long as we don't finish in No Man's Land.

(We're gonna finish in No Man's Land. Book it.)

 

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Agreed

If this does in fact happen - maybe we can get lucky like Philly, and jump several plus spots in the 2018 draft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frk's going to be our new Callahan. No one going to give up on him until he's gone.

Our problems on the PP, when we have had them, have been in establishing offensive-zone possession and efficient puck movement; not our shooters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Frk's going to be our new Callahan. No one going to give up on him until he's gone.

Our problems on the PP, when we have had them, have been in establishing offensive-zone possession and efficient puck movement; not our shooters.

Historically, I'm not a Frk booster. I've said before that he's probably a career AHLer, and my opinion on that hasn't really changed. I do think he'd make the season more enjoyable for me as a fan, and at this point that's all I really care about. Entertainment, some youthful energy, some new looks. I'd like lots and lots of wins, but that's probably not happening, regardless of what happens with Frk.

As for the power play and its struggles over the past couple of seasons...it's a lot of things. It's struggling to consistently gain the zone with possession and set up. It's struggling to execute a clean, crisp, purposeful cycle. It's players with good shots being trigger-shy. It's the point men struggling to hold the blue line. It's being too predictable. It's not winning enough battles. It's taking Nyquist out of a role in which he scored 14 power play goals in 2014-15. It's leaning too much on Kronwall and, arguably, leaning too much on Zetterberg.

I'm not saying Frk would hugely improve the power play. It's possible he wouldn't improve it in any significant way. And he'd probably be a liability at even strength. But a lack of right-shooting snipers has definitely been a thing in recent years and it continues to be a thing. Callahan was a grinder who never offered anything that we didn't already have in the lineup. Frk would, at least, fill Vanek's role (right-shooting specialist who needs to be sheltered at even strength).

Edited by Dabura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as Frk goes, it looks like with Bertuzzi out he'll get a shot at a roster spot. With AA not signed he may well get powerplay time (given that AA was a feature of the PP that ended last season).  That's his opportunity, and he will probably only get it this one time.  If he shows up like he did tonight, I'd expect the Wings to send Bertuzzi down after he's healthy.  If not, then Frk correctly goes back down to GR.  Either way, I don't see anything wrong with giving him a shot right now.

Edited by kipwinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HadThomasVokounOnFortSt said:

What the hell was with the horn? That sounded awful!!

THIS. I was at the game and was on the concourse during the 1st intermission. They fired up the "horn" right before the start of the 2nd and immediately I was like, thats a recording. Was in my seat when the Wings scored and was like WOW they're seriously playing the goal horn through the speakers. It sounded weak and really underwhelming. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired immediately. Put the real goddamn horn in.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Buppy said:

Frk's going to be our new Callahan. No one going to give up on him until he's gone.

Our problems on the PP, when we have had them, have been in establishing offensive-zone possession and efficient puck movement; not our shooters.

We have left-handed shooters. To run a successful power-play, you need options on both sides of the ice. Something we've lacked for years. Frk has a cannon of a shot, and if utilized properly (the way he was tonight), there's not a doubt in my mind, he would improve our power-play. Whether that's by getting shots through (scoring goals), or just opening up more space for other players on the ice. If he can score some goals on that left side, opponents will have to respect the shot and have tighter coverage on that side of the ice, opening up more space on the right side. He's not a one trick pony like Pulkkinen either. Frk can set up plays, skate, play physical. The guy deserves a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game seemed stale without the grand rat Marchand out on the ice. Frk did well though and what's not to like with Mantha, it's like witnessing a boy become a big dude. Good aftertaste from this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SetecX said:

THIS. I was at the game and was on the concourse during the 1st intermission. They fired up the "horn" right before the start of the 2nd and immediately I was like, thats a recording. Was in my seat when the Wings scored and was like WOW they're seriously playing the goal horn through the speakers. It sounded weak and really underwhelming. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired immediately. Put the real goddamn horn in.....

Truth. On TV it came off as extremely muffled. Did not sound right at all, and my first thought was that it sounded like a recording and not an actual horn. Much like the lack of banners, I'm hoping it's just something they haven't had the chance to set up yet.

 

Also not a fan of the organ. It's a hockey tradition that should have died a long time ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sound was definitely an issue yesterday. The TV's in the upper bowl and the the sound were out of sync, this was especially apparent during the anthem, and the sound in general was just off. I'm not sure if they need to set their base/treble settings better, but it was annoying. I wouldn't say someone should be fired, it was the first pre-season game, this is when you work out the kinks. 

It's funny, some guy in my section was screaming about all the calls "LET THEM PLAY REF, ITS THE PRE SEASON!!!!" and some guy completely shut him up, as he had no counter to "Of course they are going to call  a lot of penalties, these teams want to practice their power-play/PK".

It was like the message board coming to life lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kliq said:

The sound was definitely an issue yesterday. The TV's in the upper bowl and the the sound were out of sync, this was especially apparent during the anthem, and the sound in general was just off. I'm not sure if they need to set their base/treble settings better, but it was annoying. I wouldn't say someone should be fired, it was the first pre-season game, this is when you work out the kinks. 

It's funny, some guy in my section was screaming about all the calls "LET THEM PLAY REF, ITS THE PRE SEASON!!!!" and some guy completely shut him up, as he had no counter to "Of course they are going to call  a lot of penalties, these teams want to practice their power-play/PK".

It was like the message board coming to life lol.

How was the feeling of LCA overall, forget the kinks that'll be ironed out? Trying to assertain if I should pick up a game which includes a 12 hour transatlantic flight this season. Say a broadside seat 7 rows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now