• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Not even close. They might be able to get Nylander for Karlsson, but Matthews would be a hard no.

They could get Nylander and a 1st and probably a 2nd.

That winger is overrated. 

No way Ottawa trade him to the Leafs. 

30 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I think a lot of us also want to see Babcock fail specifically. How dare he choose another gir-.... COUGH..... team over us!

Babcock 's an *******. He belongs there. :lol:

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

10 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

They could get Nylander and a 1st and probably a 2nd.

That winger is overrated. 

No way Ottawa trade him to the Leafs. 

I agree that there's no way they trade him to Toronto, my point was just that Karlsson (one year before becoming a UFA) doesn't come close to getting Matthews. I agree that they would probably get more than Nylander, but I doubt it would be a whole lot more, because Karlsson will most definitely test the open market next summer.

58 minutes ago, kylee said:

Not a great day to be an Islanders fan that’s for sure. 

That's what happens when you fumble almost everything and don't get the guy extended early. The arena issues seemed to be a big part of his decision, too.

I wonder if they'll try and bring Kieffer Bellows up this season and have him skip the AHL now. They should sign Kari Lehtonen or if they can get him cheap, Steve Mason. 

7 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that there's no way they trade him to Toronto, my point was just that Karlsson (one year before becoming a UFA) doesn't come close to getting Matthews. I agree that they would probably get more than Nylander, but I doubt it would be a whole lot more, because Karlsson will most definitely test the open market next summer.

Sorry I disagree, Matthews for karlsson is fair. A norris defenseman, offensive powerhouse, is worth more than a same caliber center. Its the truth, whether you want to decrease the value of a dman is up to you, but Edmonton trading hall for Larsson just proves my point. 

31 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Sorry I disagree, Matthews for karlsson is fair. A norris defenseman, offensive powerhouse, is worth more than a same caliber center. Its the truth, whether you want to decrease the value of a dman is up to you, but Edmonton trading hall for Larsson just proves my point. 

All things being equal regarding age and contract status I would agree. The problem is, those things aren't close to being equal, which is why there's no way the Leafs would ever entertain the idea of trading Matthews for Karlsson. It would be utterly dumb to trade a 20 year old Matthews, one year away from RFA for a 28 year old Karlsson, one year away from UFA. The younger, equally as good (arguably better) center that is still under team control, holds much more value than the much old defenseman that is no longer under team control in my opinion.

Not sure if its been talked about (havent seen it) but Street and Lorito were both signed by other teams.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ducks-sign-centre-ben-street-one-year-deal/

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/islanders-matt-lorito-inks-deal-with-islanders/

So that's Lorito, Street Renouf, Coreau all gone. Tangradi, Elson, Nastasuik, McCollum still UFA's.

Edited by kliq

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

All things being equal regarding age and contract status I would agree. The problem is, those things aren't close to being equal, which is why there's no way the Leafs would ever entertain the idea of trading Matthews for Karlsson. It would be utterly dumb to trade a 20 year old Matthews, one year away from RFA for a 28 year old Karlsson, one year away from UFA. The younger, equally as good (arguably better) center that is still under team control, holds much more value than the much old defenseman that is no longer under team control in my opinion.

Maybe but its also not necessarily what the market dictates 

1 hour ago, Euro_Twins said:

Maybe but its also not necessarily what the market dictates 

There's no way Ottawa gets a Matthews caliber player for Karlsson. That's my point. Karlsson will likely be traded for a good (not great) player, a prospect, and multiple picks. No pieces being elite. In the end Ottawa will lose this trade, because it's Ottawa and they lose everything, and they just handled this whole situation about as badly as they possibly could have...

2 hours ago, kliq said:

Not sure if its been talked about (havent seen it) but Street and Lorito were both signed by other teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/islanders-matt-lorito-inks-deal-with-islanders/

So that's Lorito, Street Renouf, Coreau all gone. Tangradi, Elson, Nastasuik, McCollum still UFA's.

Elson signed an AHL deal with Grand Rapids.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Street and Lorito are significant losses, but Chris Terry is a big addition, along with Wade Megan. I think those two will more than make up for the loss of Street and Lorito. Hopefully Tangradi is re-signed. He's been a great leader, big point producer, and body guard for the kids. I think losing him would be a huge loss for GR. I also hope they re-sign Puempel. He seemed to fit in well down there. Elson has already been re-signed. I doubt Nastasiuk will be re-signed. He just hasn't been able to do much of anything at the pro level.

Renouf and Russo aren't really big losses, and one of them was already replaced by Jake Chelios. We needed to shed at least one defenseman anyway, to give more ice time to Hronek (if he doesn't make the Wings) as well as Saarijarvi and Cholowski.

Coreau was a good minor league goaltender, but with the signings of Patrik Rybar and Harri Sateri, it's not a huge loss. I also think those two signings may force McCollum out as well, which isn't really a bad thing.