• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

14 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Schooled? How so? I'm well aware of our goalie history...

I'm making the point that it's more important to have elite players (forwards / defense) and good goaltending, than it is to have an elite goaltender behind good, not great players. Your counter to that was the stacked Wings teams of the early to mid 90's that came up short. The problem with that theory is that while Cheveldae and Essensa may have been bad, Vernon and Osgood weren't that much better. If anything, you're proving my point. The elite, power-house Red Wings teams of the late 90's won, despite good, not great goaltending. 

Mike Vernon is the most underrated goalie of his era, he should be in the HOF.  I'm with you on Osgood though. 

2 minutes ago, mackel said:

Mike Vernon is the most underrated goalie of his era, he should be in the HOF.  I'm with you on Osgood though. 

Both deserve to be in the HOF, although Osgood did'nt always deserve it in my mind until his playoff performances in 2008-2009. That was some elite level s*** there.

32 minutes ago, mackel said:

Underrated or not, he was never elite. Certainly not in his time in Detroit. I would argue that Osgood was better than Vernon during his tenure with the Wings. Either way, both were good, not great, and in the end, that's all a team needs to win. Which is why I'm against taking Askarov at 4, or any goalie in the top 10.

Elite player >>> Elite goalie

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Underrated or not, he was never elite. Certainly not in his time in Detroit. I would argue that Osgood was better than Vernon during his tenure with the Wings. Either way, both were good, not great, and in the end, that's all a team needs to win. Which is why I'm against taking Askarov at 4, or any goalie in the top 10.

Elite player >>> Elite goalie

Of course you'd argue, that's your default setting... however Vernie was right there numerically with the guys of his era and was out conn smythe winner.  

He also played against those stacked Oilers teams more than say Patty Roy... his numbers are as good or better than guys like Fuhr.

If Vernie wasn't elite he was what every comes just before it.