• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Ok, lets say (one of) these teams are that player and the 1st round pick to us, in your opinion what are we sending back? (just so you know Vancouver traded their 2020 1st round) New Jersey has it. (They have THREE 1st round picks!! yikes!) Also Nashville has the 11th OA pick, not sure they are gonna trade that, but maybe the 2021 1st round.

So, lets say then, since STL is the only one with a 2020 1st round pick that they'd be willing to trade, what would the return be for Steen and the 1st? Also, not that it couldn't be waived, but Steen has a NTC.

I wonder if Dallas would be willing to move Ben Bishop? He has a NMC that would have to be waived, but maybe his relationship with Yzerman would entice him to do so? I know he has 3 more years after this one left on his contract, but that could be good for us. Taking on 100% of his salary, plus the fact that it's not just a 1 year rental, we could probably easily get Dallas' 2020 1st round pick. Plus he would be a good guy to have with Bernier next season, then who knows beyond that. Also,he could be the goalie we have to protect because right now, they only G we have that will be under contract in 2021 (for the expansion draft) that would need protection is Fulcher. Everyone else becomes a UFA in 2021. It might be better than signing a UFA (big money) G. Bishop is at $4.9M for the next 3 years. Right now Dallas is sitting in the 24 spot in the draft, but if they lose in the 1st round, it could move in to the teens. The only thing is they do have $19M in cap space next season. They do have some valuable RFA's they need to re-sign, plus Janmark is a UFA. We could hope maybe they want to get into the UFA sweepstakes this year and want to clear space. Anyhow, that being said, in additition to the above idea's from our esteemed colleague KRS, I wonder what the return would be if Dallas wanted to play?

Steen + 1st for?

Bishop + 1st for?

I'm not too sure what the trades would look like. I'm just pointing out a few of the salary dump players that we could potentially target. As for what we'd have to give up in those trades, nothing. Maybe a late round pick or a nothing prospect. 1st round picks are great, but I'd also be looking at young roster players / prospects.

Here's a very good in-depth look at Marco Rossi:

I think he's our guy. Or, at least, I think he *should* be our guy. But there are whispers about Perfetti being the guy we're eyeing. Which...ugh. I mean, like I've said, I'll back Yzerman's pick. But I'm really not feeling like Perfetti is the guy we need to be pulling out of this important draft.

...Which probably means he's the next Datsyuk. *shrug*

I like to think Rossi doesn't have any friends and he just hangs out with bears and stuff while training for the Cell Games.

I've been reading up on the 2021 class. Way too early for that, I guess. But not for Wings fans. I guess.

Anyway, all this talk about x draft being super-deep and y draft being thin blah blah blah I'm over it.

2017 was billed as a relatively weak draft. Was it? I dunno. Here's what I *do* know:

So, yeah, some people are saying 2021 isn't looking so hot. But some are saying it's better than the last couple. I don't really care either way. I just want the Wings to knock their first pick (and, ideally, their other picks, but let's be realistic) out of the park.

On that note...there are some really good defensemen here.

Brandt Clarke could be Erik Karlsson 2.0:

https://www.rawcharge.com/2020/4/10/21208317/21-days-of-2021-nhl-draft-prospects-11-brandt-clarke

He probably goes in the top three, which means we're probably not getting him.

I like Carson Lambos as a hypothetical steal at, like, 5th or 6th overall:

https://www.rawcharge.com/2020/4/2/21192672/21-days-of-2021-nhl-draft-prospects-17-carson-lambos

https://smahtscouting.com/2020/05/25/scouting-report-carson-lambos/

Luke Hughes is another Hughes kid, so we know we're not getting him. He's bigger than Quinn and Jack but still skates like his brothers.

https://www.rawcharge.com/2020/3/30/21191535/21-days-of-2021-nhl-draft-prospects-20-luke-hughes

Owen Power seems like a bigger, left-shooting Moritz Seider. The kind of defenseman Yzerman seems to prefer.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/504240/owen-power

So, the way I see it, this year's draft and next year's draft could, together, wrap up our building-through-the-draft efforts at two positions. This year: probably center/wing. Next year: probably defense.

4 hours ago, mackel said:

I really don't want Perfetti, I'm just not sold on him... I'd like to see one of Raymond, Drysdale or Rossi (in no particular order)

Not sold on Raymond either. I am just hoping one of the big 3 forwards falls to 4.

7 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Just seems like the perfect fit for them, as it's the only questionable position they have. 

But Mrazek

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

Here's a very good in-depth look at Marco Rossi:

I think he's our guy. Or, at least, I think he *should* be our guy. But there are whispers about Perfetti being the guy we're eyeing. Which...ugh. I mean, like I've said, I'll back Yzerman's pick. But I'm really not feeling like Perfetti is the guy we need to be pulling out of this important draft.

...Which probably means he's the next Datsyuk. *shrug*

I like to think Rossi doesn't have any friends and he just hangs out with bears and stuff while training for the Cell Games.

Anything credible? I really hope it's not the case.

Then again I remember seeing somewhere about his skating being much improved recently, so I don't really know anything anyways.

6 hours ago, mackel said:

I really don't want Perfetti, I'm just not sold on him... I'd like to see one of Raymond, Drysdale or Rossi (in no particular order)

Same. 

14 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Anything credible? I really hope it's not the case.

Then again I remember seeing somewhere about his skating being much improved recently, so I don't really know anything anyways.

Well, Bob McKenzie hasn't said it. It's more like whispers + some mock drafts going that way.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-top-15-mock-draft-lafreniere-lands-new-york/

4. Detroit Red Wings: Cole Perfetti, LW
There are countless ties between Detroit and Perfetti. Most importantly, Perfetti spent the season a short drive away from the Motor City with the Saginaw Spirit, allowing everyone in the organization to get multiple looks as well as get up close and personal to know him away from the rink. He’s equally as impressive a young man as he is a player. For Perfetti, his hockey IQ may be the best in this draft class. His awareness is uncanny. Anticipating a play in neutral ice, or jumping the play to earn a breakaway is not uncommon.

In a group setting, he’s a legit threat crossing the blue line. He proved he could score goals as a 16-year-old with 37 in 63 games a year ago. This season, he showed off his playmaking abilities with 74 assists, which helped him finish second in the OHL with 111 points. Fuelled by being cut from Canada’s world junior team, Perfetti returned to Saginaw and recorded a point in 30 of 32 games, accounting for 66 total points.

^^^ Cam Robinson (mostly of Dobber Prospects, though I think he's trying to branch out) seems to be more dialed-in than most amateur scout blogger types, and while I suspect he's a dirty commie, I vaguely remember him being impressively ahead of the cuve about a few things re: the 2019 draft. If memory serves, he said Seider and Broberg would both go in the top ten and that the former would go before the latter. It's one of the reasons why I wasn't jaw-on-the-floor shocked when we took Seider at 6.

So, I'd say there's probably something to the Perfetti-to-Detroit talk. But at the same time, I don't think him playing in Saginaw and the Wings liking him a lot necessarily means a whole lot. Quinn Hughes was at UMich in his draft season and we didn't take him. Maybe Yzerman likes Perfetti more than Holland liked Hughes, but you get my point.

I guess I see Perfetti at 4 as a high-risk, high-reward proposition. The risk, I feel, is higher than I'd ideally like it to be, mostly because I don't like his straight-line skating and I don't like that he's a 5'10 guy whose straight-line skating I don't like. And I'm not confident he's an NHL centerman. But you'd be taking him for the potential payoff, and I do like the idea that he's a sleeper Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Pettersson. A player who's always the smartest guy on the ice, has an uncanny knack for slowing the game down, has great hands, is a great puck-protector, is lethal as a goal-scorer, is a lethal setup guy, always finds a way to manufacture offense, and is overall just a natural-born puck-possession beast.

I've been saying Yzerman needs to find a way to cheat and beat the rebuild prison system and score some massive victories, like getting a Pettersson outside the top 3. I've also said I hope there's a non-top-3 player in this draft that Yzerman and his people are over-the-moon about in the same way that the Canucks were over-the-moon about Pettersson and that, ideally, this player has x factor qualities which are (secretly) so off-the-charts good that even if several aspects of his game are always going to be somewhat deficient, he's so overpowered in other areas that he's able to become a hugely and uniquely effective gamebreaker. Like Pettersson.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I've been saying Yzerman needs to find a way to cheat and beat the rebuild prison system and score some massive victories, like getting a Pettersson outside the top 3. I've also said I hope there's a non-top-3 player in this draft that Yzerman and his people are over-the-moon about in the same way that the Canucks were over-the-moon about Pettersson and that, ideally, this player has x factor qualities which are (secretly) so off-the-charts good that even if several aspects of his game are always going to be somewhat deficient, he's so overpowered in other areas that he's able to become a hugely and uniquely effective gamebreaker. Like Pettersson.

Stevie made some really great picks late in the first or in the 2nd round in TB.  Vasilevskiy is a late first rounder.  Kucherov is a 2nd rounder.  Point is a 3rd rounder.  He can find the diamonds, so I'm optimistic about what he can do here.  Having said that, it'd be really nice to have one of the top 3 drop to us.  We deserve to catch a break for once.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Honestly, I think Rossi or Perfetti will be a nice pick. But all we need is for ONE team ahead of us to take a D, and we'd have a shot at Byfield or Stutzle. Then again, maybe Yzerman likes Rossi or Perfetti better than the others...

I still can't get over the fact the worst team in a generation is trying to read the tea leaves so they don't F-up the 4th over all pick.  Meanwhile a team that was literally twice as good as they were picks first.

DobberProspects Preliminary 2021 NHL Draft Rankings

DP-2021-Draft-Rankings-2020-08-700x300.j

1. Aatu Räty, C | FIN | 6-1, 181 lbs

Jokke Nevalainen: Räty earns the top spot at the start of the season despite a disappointing draft-1 season. Consistency has been a big issue for him. At his best, he’s shown he can be a big-time impact player at the men’s level at age 17. But at his worst, he’s invisible against junior players. Regardless of that, he’s proven to have all the tools to become a play-driving No. 1 center who plays in all situations. He’s a great skater who can make plays and score goals but also doesn’t leak defensively. He’s an older player for this draft class but he has already played some games at the Liiga level and at the World Juniors with good results. He’s definitely not a lock to go first overall but we felt he was the best option available right now. He’s expected to be a full-time Liiga player this upcoming season, and he needs a big season to maintain the top spot. No Finn has ever been drafted first overall. Could Räty become the first one?

2. Brandt Clarke, RHD | CAN | 6-1, 181 lbs

Jacob Barker: After a mediocre first half of his rookie campaign in the OHL, a coaching change by the Colts saw Clarke turn into a play-driving, near point per game producer. Clarke boasts incredible offensive instincts and puck skills, which are complemented by his strong defensive play and skating ability. Despite his game still having tons of maturing to do, there’s no denying that Clarke possesses all the necessary tools to be an elite offensive defenseman in the NHL.

3. Carson Lambos, LHD | CAN | 6-1, 201 lbs

Tony Ferrari: One of the most physically gifted players in the 2021 draft class, Lambos has a real shot at taking the top spot in the 2021 draft. He has the size, speed, and strength combination that you look for in a number one defenseman and he still has an element of rawness and some physical maturity to come. His defensive game is mature beyond its years, with the ability to defend positionally or engage physically. His transition game is strong, coming at defenders like a freight train at times as he attacks the slot on the rush. There is room to grow in the offensive zone as he needs to be a bit more aggressive at times but the young Winnipeg ICE defender played top minutes as a rookie in the WHL last year and likely gets an even bigger role this year.

4. Owen Power, LHD | CAN | 6-5, 209 lbs

Clare McManus: He is an excellent skater and puck mover, especially for his size standing at 6’5”. For a tall defenseman, he has strong mobility and lateral movements, which is helpful when he walks the blue line to see his options in the offensive zone. He is very good at rushing the puck up ice, but he can also make strong stretch passes out of the zone on transition play. On the powerplay, he is a great quarterback and does a solid job of getting the puck to the net or an open teammate. As well on even-strength, he likes to shoot for a rebound opportunity, but won’t hesitate to try and score for himself.

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

As a fan of this team I'm looking at position 4 plus...  history has shown in Bettman's NHL we will drop 2-3 spots and we likely won't be dead last again next year.

I'm going to mentally prepare for getting screwed in the draft lottery by pretending the top 3 prospects don't exist.

15 hours ago, mackel said:

I still can't get over the fact the worst team in a generation is trying to read the tea leaves so they don't F-up the 4th over all pick.  Meanwhile a team that was literally twice as good as they were picks first.

At least it wasn't one of the teams we all thought it would be. I'd be ok with The Rangers taking over that division and shoving mud in Pittsburghs face. 

Edited by LeftWinger

2 hours ago, mackel said:

As a fan of this team I'm looking at position 4 plus...  history has shown in Bettman's NHL we will drop 2-3 spots and we likely won't be dead last again next year.

I'm going to mentally prepare for getting screwed in the draft lottery by pretending the top 3 prospects don't exist.

I'd rather "get screwed" next year and save our luck for Shane Wright