• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Troy McClure

The Yzerplan The Vision Becoming Minnesota Repeating History Help 9/11

Rate this topic

I'd be looking to retain on Copp as well. I'd really like to see SY target Shane Pinto from Ottawa for our 3rd line spot. He doesn't want to be there, he's been a bad boy, he'll be cheap, and I like his play. Get him on a 2x2 deal and separately eat 50% of Copp's contract when you ship him to a contender and we could easily be paying the same amount next year for a huge upgrade down the middle.

36 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

At this time last year money puck gave the wings a 7.4% chance of making the playoffs

This year we are now at 13.1% 

Up a whole 5.7%!!!! Great work team!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWWH2xE9h3CC6Hofl0jvF

this means we are almost twice as good this year.

2 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

At this time last year money puck gave the wings a 7.4% chance of making the playoffs

This year we are now at 13.1% 

Up a whole 5.7%!!!! Great work team!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWWH2xE9h3CC6Hofl0jvF

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

Not that the Wings can't make it - just highly unlikely...Sorta like the draft lottery - it's not like the Wings can't drop down to 1st/2nd overall (cough Chicago-cough Pittsburgh)...

3 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

>be me
>the yzerplan
>only 2 draft picks make the team in 5 years
>attempt, but fail to solve the net problem every year
>load up on bloated UFA contracts every year for barely marginal returns at the TDL
>replace regarded bald coach with regarded bald coach
>sign washed up vets on their farewell tour around the league

>fans love it

1*g1kxqaG4CheXip_WmcLiWA.gif

The only crime Ken Holland committed was... not being Stephen Yzerman.

1 hour ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Not that the Wings can't make it - just highly unlikely...Sorta like the draft lottery - it's not like the Wings can't drop down to 1st/2nd overall (cough Chicago-cough Pittsburgh)...

We will finish in a spot with like a 3.2% chance of winning the draft lottery. We couldn't win when are chances were over quadruple that.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:22 PM, kipwinger said:

I'd be looking to retain on Copp as well. I'd really like to see SY target Shane Pinto from Ottawa for our 3rd line spot. He doesn't want to be there, he's been a bad boy, he'll be cheap, and I like his play. Get him on a 2x2 deal and separately eat 50% of Copp's contract when you ship him to a contender and we could easily be paying the same amount next year for a huge upgrade down the middle.

yah, Copp is A LOT less effective than I had hoped.  He's 4th line lw wing material at best.  Thought he'd serve us well in a defensive capacity at least, but his faceoff % is weak and he doesnt eliminate guys at all.  He's just out there.

3 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

yah, Copp is A LOT less effective than I had hoped.  He's 4th line lw wing material at best.  Thought he'd serve us well in a defensive capacity at least, but his faceoff % is weak and he doesnt eliminate guys at all.  He's just out there.

He's so f*cking milk toast out there. I can't stand that dude. Maybe move him to the wing and see if that helps. I don't know what else to do with him otherwise.

Just now, kipwinger said:

He's so f*cking milk toast out there. I can't stand that dude. Maybe move him to the wing and see if that helps. I don't know what else to do with him otherwise.

taking away that "A" he's wearing would be a nice start. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

10 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yeah but he is from Michigan.

I bet you dinks dislike Abby, DK, and Petry too

13 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I'd also look to flex him to the wing like they've done with Ras and Veleno at times. Copp started the season on Compher's wing and it wasn't a bad look. He's good at getting pucks back on the forecheck and he's a solid passer so he may thrive offensively without all the responsibilities at center. Go with Larkin, Compher, Veleno, Fischer down the middle and free Copp up to get a little offense out of him.

Dcat-Larkin-Raymond

Kane-Compher-Sprong

Copp-Veleno-Perron/Fabbri

Ras-Fischer-Perron/Fabbri

Kostin

21 hours ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

The scary part is since he's a "Michigan" guy they'll probably let him finish out his contract. No doubt he's the most overpaid wing right now.

1 hour ago, 88Kaner said:

The scary part is since he's a "Michigan" guy they'll probably let him finish out his contract. No doubt he's the most overpaid wing right now.

Chiarot, then Copp.  Chiarot is priced like a 2A defenseman and plays like a Toledo Walleye 1B.  Copp is priced like a 2C and plays like a 4LW.

I genuinely like Ben Chiarot and how he plays the game of hockey. I just say that with a few heavy caveats. First, he should never play more than 3rd pair minutes with PK time. Also, he should always be paired with a very good defensive-defenseman because Chiarot likes to gamble at even strength. Third, because of these two things he should only be making Justin Holl money. Under those conditions I absolutely love Bennifer.

47 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Chiarot, then Copp.  Chiarot is priced like a 2A defenseman and plays like a Toledo Walleye 1B.  Copp is priced like a 2C and plays like a 4LW.

I'd rank our dmen like this 1 Seider and it's not close 2 Wally 3 Holl sadly.. 4 is a tie with Chia and Matta, Ben is physical and has a good shot 6 Ghost his numbers are inflated because he played on PP1 when the wings were the hottest team in the league on the PP 7th good ol uncle Jeff soft as tissue and I don't know who's lazier him or Ghost. I like Chia yes he's overpaid he's a 5th damn at best at this point in his career. On this team he's arguably been our third best damn. Holl gets in Derek's doghouse more than the rest of the others even though he has the best plus minus.. at least last time I checked he did

39 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I genuinely like Ben Chiarot and how he plays the game of hockey. I just say that with a few heavy caveats. First, he should never play more than 3rd pair minutes with PK time. Also, he should always be paired with a very good defensive-defenseman because Chiarot likes to gamble at even strength. Third, because of these two things he should only be making Justin Holl money. Under those conditions I absolutely love Bennifer.

I love his gambles I think his biggest issue is he likes to puck watch like Ghost.. he gives more effort than every dman in his own zone besides seider and walman which I love. His grit is needed on this blue line

6 minutes ago, 88Kaner said:

I love his gambles I think his biggest issue is he likes to puck watch like Ghost.. he gives more effort than every dman in his own zone besides seider and walman which I love. His grit is needed on this blue line

I love how hard he plays. He and DP are like gatekeepers for this team. If you wanna be a top of the lineup player for this team you have to push those guys down the lineup. It sets a good standard. I just wish our defense wasn't so bad that he has to play a bigger role than he should.

On 11/20/2023 at 8:18 PM, Troy McClure said:

I know the title seems schizo, but I assure, I took my meds today.

We (the red wings) have entered the warm and loving arms of mediocrity. It feels nice, because before this we were complete trash garbage ppl untouchables who can't even show their face in hockey church. But now we have mega sweet superstar JT COMPHER and we are going in the right direction!

REALLITY: We will accomplish nothing of significance and we also won't draft high.

>become minnestoa >deny your fate >repeat history

Well... here we are

I've been waiting to make this post, but I think it's finally time

The Situation

We are likely going to miss the playoffs. And we also won't have the cap space to make the team better in the offseason. In fact many of our players will walk in UFA for nothing, and it's very likely the team may get worse. On top of that, we also won't be drafting high, or in number.

The vicious cycle of mediocrity is staring us in the face.

Before I suggest what the yZerPLaN should do about it, I want to address some hard truths...

Tough Pills For Swallowing

1. This team is never going to win a cup with Larkin at 1C
    • He isn't a defensive stalwart, but his offense is pretty good. Still, he's not within the realm of the NHL's elite centers. But he would be one of the best 2C's in the league if we could only find the player to bump him down.
    • At the same time, the loss of Larkin in the lineup completely destroys this team. Which shows just how awful this team as a whole truly still is. Larkin is the cheap bandaid masking our flaws
    • Larkin should have been sold at the 2023 deadline. It would have netted us a kings ransom in return, and another $8.7 million to spend on the rest of the lineup. Instead Larkin will be just good enough to keep us propped up in the mediocrity zone.
  2. The manlet isn't very good
    • Debrincat has scored only 7 regulation goals in the last 52 games. This is not the high-end sniper one should consider as part of a scoring core.
    • He's not worth the contract he's on, and that contract sets a bad precedence for young wingers like Raymond in need of new contracts.
    • He really brings nothing else to the team if he's not potting goals. And he's not potting goals.
  3. Seider has been neutered by "da system"
    • Love the fight the other night, but the Mo we fell in love with doesn't exist within the current state of the team. Aggression and creativity are at an all time low. He's Derek's robot out there, and this doesn't maximize any of his god given natural talent.
    • I once argued Mo was designed to be the perfect leader/captain. Now I doubt this. In the words of Herb Brooks, "I wanted the guy who wouldn't take the test".
  4. Lyon is not a starting goalie
    • He's strung together about 18 good performances out of 37. Or basically 50/50 chance we have an NHL goalie in net each night.
    • He's played in 39 NHL games before reaching Detroit and is on the wrong side of 30
    • Yzerman has again failed to secure the net position, despite annual attempts, for the last 5 years
  5. Edvinsson is nothing special
    • This will probably garner the biggest reaction, but I stand by it. I do not see a superstar in the making in the slightest. An NHL player yes, but not the serious difference maker everyone initially expected. The raw talent and size is there, but he has no idea how to use it. I see him topping out as a Brad Stuart. Useful 2nd pairng defender.
    • I feel similarly about Cossa and Kasper at this point. Contributors, but not difference makers.
    • The only exciting prospect we have is ASP
  6. Berggren is actually pretty good, and this team is mismanaging him
    • Kid should have been on the roster to start the season. Instead the red wings would rather waste money on Kostin and time on Czarnik to bury him. Sad and stupid.
  7. Yzerman is not infallible
    • Not trading Larkin and loading up with Debrincat and Kane are looking like serious mistakes.Then doubling down on this team at the 2024 TDL made it even worse. This is not even considering the other bad contracts and trades he's executed.
    • I still have faith in the man that he will aggressively address our current problems
  8. Newsy needs to be gonesy
    • No explanation necessary

What do we do?

I don't have a magic solution. All I know is standing pat (like we did at the the TDL) isn't the solution, and true solutions require bold decisions.

And I do not consider trading Fabbrii, Maata, and/or Veleno for scraps to be a bold solution. Same with buying out Husso or Petry.

What I would propose for bold is trading Dcat and Edvinsson. Those are trades that would actually the net serous assets we need. Players or picks. I would refer picks.

We are also at the point where we either need to just call Cossa up, or acquire an actual proven goaltender

Few actions this summer will lock us into the mediocrity cycle. Praying Yzerman isn't dumb enough to continue pursuing the Holland "we like our team path"...

Oh and LOLande should be fired ASAP

Edited by Troy McClure

On 12/13/2023 at 1:35 PM, Motor City Mullets said:

Regardless of the Kane signing and winning last night against the Blues...We're still destined for mediocrity...

On 12/13/2023 at 2:23 PM, Motor City Mullets said:

GR is currently sub .500 - what makes these 2 guys the difference maker in Detroit?

On 12/13/2023 at 2:33 PM, Motor City Mullets said:

As of now - nobody in GR (a sub .500 team in the AHL) is gonna tear chit up in the NHL and make Detroit real gud.

IMHO - with the team playing the way they have been under Lalonde - it's pretty much another season without being in the playoffs.

On 12/13/2023 at 2:52 PM, Motor City Mullets said:

Yup...Too many hopeful/unrealistic fans out there with ideas of grandeur...

On 12/24/2023 at 2:13 PM, Motor City Mullets said:

I am still in the belief had Yzerman gone with a different coach we'd be in a better spot in the standings considering our current roster....Then again you never know since this team doesn't have the talent of a roster such as Toronto/Tampa, nor the physical players of a Vegas/Boston.

Agreed...We'll be in purgatory for the next handful of seasons.

A-christmas-carol GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 1/3/2024 at 6:56 PM, Motor City Mullets said:

I am here to find f**k you all...

3g7118.gif

2 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

The failure of Yzerman at the deadline is not unwinding the problems that we are going to carry over into next season (Fabbri, Chiarot, Petry, Holl, Husso).  19 million of TRASH.  And we're on the hook for 16 million of that TRASH in 2025 as well.  Starting a season with close to 1/4 of your cap room tied up in players that don't help the team is ABSURD.  Nobody should fault Yzerman for coming up craps on signings.  That happens.  You CAN, however fault him for compounding mistakes due to pride, lack of ability, etc.  The writing has been on the wall for all of these TRASH players for the entire season.  The Red Wings should have had a fire sale at the deadline.  Not only to clear TRASH for upcoming seasons, but to give us room to bring up more helpful players for a playoff push (Edvinsson, Johansson, Berggren, etc.).  Yzerman is going to get less return at the draft, but he has to suck it up then and take the bullets.  If we enter 2024 with 19 million of TRASH, don't expect us to look any better.  Our missing 1B center (Stamkos) could get 12 of that 19 million and shore up a gap that has plagued the team for a while.

Two massive trade proposals that we can shake up this team with in the offseason:

To DET: Adam Larsson + Will Borgen

To SEA: Maata + Edvinsson

To DET: Linus Ullmark

To BOS: Fabbri + 2nd

Only players re-signed: Kane and Fischer

Buyouts: Husso (1.5 for 2 years) and Holl (1.1 for 4 years)

Call ups: Berggen and Mazur

UFAs signed: Stamkos

Stamkos - Larkin - Raymond

Debrincat - Compher - Kane

Rasmussen - Copp - Berggen

Mazur - Veleno - Fischer

Walman - Seider

Chiarot - Larsson

Borgen - Petry

Ullmark

Lyon

SY isnt going to fire Derek yet, and Derek deploys Chia and Petry way too much to be buyout canidates. Unfortunately, to keep Kane, you probably cant move the bagel boss

After this years playoffs - the extra mileage on the Stamkos odometer - I def can see him becoming another Legwand...

Other than seeing a few UFAs leave (Kane, Ghost, Sprong) this team will be pretty much the same (Ed and  possibly Kasper?) and the results won't likely change much either.

Edited by Motor City Mullets