• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:35 AM

Ken Holland is looking to get a "star player" before the deadline. In addition, Parker also said that there's a good chance Lapointe could end up back here.

Shouldn't come as a shock to us wings fans regarding holland's intentions. Parker doesn't know anything about hockey nor does he care about hockey, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. He's somewhat Eklund-like, but he gets it right once and every while.

#2 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:44 AM

i have always liked marty. he plays with some grit and scores some goals. i am not sure what his price is these days but when he left for boston, they way overpaid him.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#3 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

I don't think Kenny has ever not been looking to get a "star player" at the deadline. He doesn't always actually get one, but Kenny is never on his couch come deadline time.

As for Lapointe, if anyone expects him to be a cog in the offense, that's wishful thinking. He cashed in on one pretty good year to go to Boston, had one decent year for them, and hasn't been seen on the scoring charts since 2002. Lapointe is nothing more than another body to muck in the corners, which I'm not saying we don't need, but then, what does he bring that Draper doesn't?
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#4 raidedredwing2

raidedredwing2

The Heart of a Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:54 AM

I wonder if Pittsburgh moves..... if Crosby wont want out....... id give several star players and a pick or two for someone to build the team around again...... just like they did with Yzerman
#19 will forever hang in the Rafters of The Joe Louis Arena

#5 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ January 15, 2007 - 12:53AM) View Post

Lapointe is nothing more than another body to muck in the corners, which I'm not saying we don't need, but then, what does he bring that Draper doesn't?

Lapointe drops the gloves on occasion and he's a pretty big guy.

QUOTE(raidedredwing2 @ January 15, 2007 - 12:54AM) View Post

I wonder if Pittsburgh moves..... if Crosby wont want out....... id give several star players and a pick or two for someone to build the team around again...... just like they did with Yzerman

Good luck with that.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#6 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:25 AM

I'm a big Lapointe fan, but he's turning 34 in September. I liked the teams we had in 1997, 1998, and 2002, but I'm starting to get annoyed at Holland bringing all these guys back. I guess it depends on what it'll cost us, and how much he has left in the tank.

Marty is better than nothing I suspose. This time around, I hope he doesn't take stupid penalties late in the 3rd period again.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#7 KevinD

KevinD

vapour trail

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(Mighty Wings @ January 15, 2007 - 12:35AM) View Post

Parker also said that there's a good chance Lapointe could end up back here.

before the lockout, i bet my wife lapointe would retire a wing. i would love to be right.
IPB Image

i'm gonna be a member of DOKAPASAPA, just you wait and see. or maybe DOPASAPA.

#8 timsummers

timsummers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:41 AM

and just who would they take from us for (arguably) the best offensive player to come around in at least a decade?

like rice said, good luck with that
"Get the maple crusted yams outta the fridge Aunt Edna, christmas has been extended"

#9 daniel1

daniel1

#40 - UNSTOPPABLE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:12 AM

Jason Williams for Marty Lapointe. In a heartbeat. (and of course the Hawks would have to take Lillypuss as part of the deal)
"And? If I did, I probably would have been a fighter, so what?"

Who knows; maybe you would realize that enforcers in hockey are critical to a teams chemistry and overall success?

#10 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE(daniel1 @ January 14, 2007 - 11:12PM) View Post

Jason Williams for Marty Lapointe. In a heartbeat. (and of course the Hawks would have to take Lillypuss as part of the deal)

Umm. NO. Are you serious? Williams and Lilja for Lapointe? I assume we're getting draft picks in return....like, five years worth of first rounders to make it even for us?
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#11 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE(daniel1 @ January 15, 2007 - 02:12AM) View Post

Actually if they took Lilja, we'd be screwing them (yes, my flaring hate for Lilja appears once more).

And for how utterly worthless Williams is, We need to keep him around as part of a package deal involving Doan or anybody else rumored.

#12 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:19 AM

if we're talking about ex-Wings I'd rather have Slava Kozlov. but since Thrashers are headed to playoffs I don't see any trade for him possible.

I'm not sold on Lapointe, either. I always liked him, but I don't think he is THE star player we'd like to eventually see if Holland decides to upgrade this team and give it a shot on something.

I don't think, however, Wings shuold trade too many picks or youth for star players. we've been rather succesful with developing new core from AHL to NHL now, and I'd not screw this mixture with a trade that adds skills but substracts team chemistry and/or sacrifices our future. if I was Holland I'd be looking for a cheap, physicall body which can skate and some veteran playoff-proven center with a lot of leadership. it seems to be the best way to me

#13 ultrapail

ultrapail

NetMinder

• Gold Booster
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:18 AM

lets see if McCarty can be had, then we could lure Larionov, Kozlov, Hull, Robitaille, Murphy, and everybody else out of retirement. that would be just dandy, the answer to our prayers.

#14 MoscowDynamo

MoscowDynamo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

You're a smart one.
The scenario you laid out can't fail. Look how it paid off for Philly...er, Quebec.

#15 wizer19

wizer19

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

Slava Kozlov over lapoint but how niether of them.

#16 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Bringing back LaPenalty would fit Holland's M.O.. wink.gif

I think this would lend more credence to the potential of acquiring a player of the ilk of a Tkachuk, Guerin, Bertuzzi or -- as St. James suggests -- Forsberg.

#17 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

I would welcome Slava Kozlov back.
No doubt about it.

Edited by interminded, 15 January 2007 - 10:19 AM.

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#18 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

So what is the definition of "star player"? Is Lapointe supposed to be in addition to that star player? He definately doesn't fit my definition of star player.

#19 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,454 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(Matt @ January 15, 2007 - 08:33AM) View Post

Bringing back LaPenalty would fit Holland's M.O.. wink.gif

I think this would lend more credence to the potential of acquiring a player of the ilk of a Tkachuk, Guerin, Bertuzzi or -- as St. James suggests -- Forsberg.

That's what I was thinking, almost to a t. It definitely fits with Kenny's "once a Wing, always a Wing" strategy. tongue.gif

Can I have Feds back, too, in that case? tomato.gif

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#20 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

Rob Parker has as much credibility as Eklund.
Moral victories are for losers.