• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

10/23 GDT: Ducks 4 at Red Wings 5

Rate this topic

Because Howard would have stopped it easily had he been in proper butterfly position?

The only way he gets into full butterfly in time for that shot is if he either anticipates it and risks getting burned, or channels the reflexes of Hasek (in which case he probably does a barrel roll to stop the shot instead of going butterfly).

Edited by Datsyerberger

Because Howard would have stopped it easily had he been in proper butterfly position?

So you want a goaltender to get into the butterfly when the player crosses the top of the circle before he even shoots?

That seems like a great idea.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Selanne was still striding as he took that shot which was both quick, Howard had no time to react, and accurate, it squeaked right through the pads. Sometimes a goalie cannot get into proper positioning on every shot and that's no fault of his. To even get into the butterfly Howard would of had to bite early and get burned as a result. Great idea.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

So you want a goaltender to get into the butterfly when the player crosses the top of the circle before he even shoots?

That seems like a great idea.

Because that's what I said.

Howard reacted in perfect time to attempt to get in position to stop the shot. However he did not get into butterfly position during that reaction.

Selanne was still striding as he took that shot which was both quick, Howard had no time to react, and accurate, it squeaked right through the pads. Sometimes a goalie cannot get into proper positioning on every shot and that's no fault of his. To even get into the buttery fly Howard would of had to bite early and get burned as a result. Great idea.

He seemed able to react quick enough to get into half butterfly position.

You might have an argument if Howard got into butterfly at any point on that shot.

In an attempt to slightly steer the direction of this thread, who should start the next game? Howie or Ozzie?

We are playing Phoenix, right? I would go with Howard again. Give Osgood an easier start.

Edited by Doc Holliday

If Howard is in butterfly that early, he gets burned bad and that play turns into a highlight reel goal (or, more optimistically, a highlight reel save).

You really need to watch the replay on NHL.com because the only one of your responses that's true is #1.

Selanne surprised Jimmy for sure by getting off the quick shot from a bad angle.

You really need to watch the replay on NHL.com because the only one of your responses that's true is #1.

Selanne surprised Jimmy for sure by getting off the quick shot from a bad angle.

I've watched the replay several times already and stand by my arguments. You know my thoughts. Now I need sleep, badly. Been up well over 24 hours, stupid Wings game delaying my getting to sleep.

I've watched the replay several times already and stand by my arguments. You know my thoughts. Now I need sleep, badly. Been up well over 24 hours, stupid Wings game delaying my getting to sleep.

ok, then i'll chalk it up to lack of sleep because you're hallucinating on Selanne having ample time or room. :P

It was a goal scorers goal in that Selanne caught Jimmy off guard and not positioned correctly.

Please, let's not talk about the Red Wings getting an exciting, last-minute victory tonight. Because then we won't be able to SETTLE ONCE AND FOR ALL WHETHER THE SELANNE GOAL WAS A GREAT SHOT BY AN ELITE FORWARD OR A SOFT GOAL ALLOWED ON A BAD NIGHT FROM THE GOALTENDER. So let's not let the outcome of the hockey game, or anything else that happened during it, encroach on that epic debate.

Z with the 4 point night, but I just realized Lidstrom had 3 assists tonight. Not bad for an old goat.

Please, let's not talk about the Red Wings getting an exciting, last-minute victory tonight. Because then we won't be able to SETTLE ONCE AND FOR ALL WHETHER THE SELANNE GOAL WAS A GREAT SHOT BY AN ELITE FORWARD OR A SOFT GOAL ALLOWED ON A BAD NIGHT FROM THE GOALTENDER. So let's not let the outcome of the hockey game, or anything else that happened during it, encroach on that epic debate.

ok. I mean, I was about to talk about other stuff but we could get back to the goal if you like. :D

Guest Howard He Do It?!

While I understand your sentiments, this is the GDT and the Selanne goal was part of the game. I don't think any of it takes away from the excitement of the victory, which can still be freely discussed along side the Selanne goal debate.

Nice try... I am on your side.

keep in mind if Osgood had been in net Howard He Do It and Carmen would be leading the way in the "Osgood has a huge 5-hole" thread.

But Howard gets a pass I suppose. He opened it up to move and Selanne found it! oh well.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Nice try... I am on your side.

keep in mind if Osgood had been in net Howard He Do It and Carmen would be leading the way in the "Osgood has a huge 5-hole" thread.

But Howard gets a pass I suppose. He opened it up to move and Selanne found it! oh well.

Thanks for lumping me into that group but I would have no part in it. Great job assuming though. My user name doesn't dictate my argument.

When that final goal when in I cheered. When I saw the replay of Datsyuk undressing poor Andreas I was laughing. Cheering and Laughing! Lets Go Wings! I don't see the point in picking the negatives in a win. Yes, our third line needs some drastic change (outside of cleary), and yes maybe this wasn't Howard's finest hour but this is a team game and it is nice to know the Wings can get the job done when not everything is clicking. Things are not going to be perfect for every moment of every game. I think as fans that really care we sometimes have a tendency to go over and aboard on our analysis. I'm just happy I can watch this team play and I know they have enough skill and drive to go far this year.

Edited by stuck in socal

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Assuming? eh OK.. Ill give you that one.....for now. the season is young.

And you'll still be wrong at the end of it.

Considering the slow pace of the schedule, Howie for sure. He's 20 games without a regulation loss. No reason not to get him some net time.

I agree. The Wings will almost certainly be paying for the lightness of their schedule now with some back to backs and other unpleasantness in the future. Ozzie will get his starts.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

doubt it...but if it helps you sleep at night...so be it.

It must help you sleep at night to be constantly wrong. You're not going to sit here and tell me how I think. Again, my user name does not dictate my feelings or arguments. It's called objectivity. I can be a fan of Howard's but still be objective. How shocking this must be to you. If it was Ozzie in net tonight and that exact same goal happened, I would be backing Ozzie all the way.

.... amazed Selanne's shot is still so quick at his age.

Blah game for Howard, not good, but kept the team in it with some key ones.