• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Short of him winning the Conn Smythe there is nothing he can do to redeem himself for the extraordinary amount of WTF moments he has had this post-season. 

He is the weakest D-man on the team, he is a PK-making machine, doesn't use his size, doesn't make good passes, and when he tried to be offensive he gives the puck away. 

Cut him loose and get what you can for him. He is a dime-a-dozen player. 

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Jimmy Howard

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

First off, you're being a tad impatient with a guy who is in his rookie season.

Second, the Wings have nothing to gain by trading him for peanuts, and much to gain if he gets better---as rookies often do.

Third, you haven't a clue if he's a dime-a-dozen player. If he's the same way in three years, then I'll concede the point to you. As things stand, he's a rookie.

#3 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

I agree that Smith hasn't been very good.  But I'm guessing a lot of teams would love for the Wings to dump him for nothing.

Smith is playing over 19 minutes a night, third among Dmen behind Kronwall and Ericsson.  And now doing it against the best team in the league.  He's getting exposed for the rookie he is.

Imagine if the Wings had played Kindl or Ericsson like that.  They had the benefit of a better blueline so they could play lower pressure bottom pairing minutes.  Smith is getting thrown in the deep end.

It's painful to watch, but this is the team we have right now.  It's trial by fire.

#4 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

I agree that Smith hasn't been very good.  But I'm guessing a lot of teams would love for the Wings to dump him for nothing.

Smith is playing over 19 minutes a night, third among Dmen behind Kronwall and Ericsson.  And now doing it against the best team in the league.  He's getting exposed for the rookie he is.

Imagine if the Wings had played Kindl or Ericsson like that.  They had the benefit of a better blueline so they could play lower pressure bottom pairing minutes.  Smith is getting thrown in the deep end.

It's painful to watch, but this is the team we have right now.  It's trial by fire.

He's not going to get traded but he's almost due to take his turn sitting in the press box.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#5 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

If we'd traded him, he'd not have scored that goal! :D

#6 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,698 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Really? Wow.....the kid is in his first FULL year.  FIRST EVER NHL Playoff's.  On a team where he is #3 defenseman as a rookie....PLUS HE JUST SCORED!

He will grow into a great player, have patience...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#7 Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Starting Goaltender

• PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hahahaha!!!
[ Image violated Forum Guidelines. Please use images sixed 400x100 pixels or smaller. ]

Just playin Chris, you know I love you!

lilja is an icelandic pony
lilja is an average high girl with blond hair and very sexy
lilja is about the sweetest kitten we have raised here
lilja is the comatose victim of a questionable accident

#8 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

What would you like with your crow ... ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper ... 

#9 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

I thought this was a poor thread before he scored, even more so after.

People need patience

#10 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

What your seeing is rookie mistakes. Yes something not seen very often on a Wings team that would rather sign 30+ yr old players than promote from within.

#11 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

he reminds me of zel zotto. well i thought del zotto played awesome in his rookie season then they sent him back to the ahl. now hes pretty solid. i give him a full 82 game season before shipping him off

#12 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

The impatience of people is amazing. He as well as like 6 others are all rookies. Remember all the kindl hate at start of season? He looks loads better now.

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hey, we traded Kuznetsov and look how that turned out.  Our organization hasn't been able to recover since.  

Can't make the same mistake twice.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you jerked your knee like that

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#15 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Not only is he a rookie in his first playoffs, he's a rookie playing on the 2nd pairing when he should reallly be playing on the 3rd pairing due to our lack of defensive depth.  And as if that wasn't enough, he's playing against a Blackhawks 2nd line that would be a 1st line on 1/2 of the teams in the NHL.

So yeah, rookie defenceman, playing against all-stars.  1st period flub apart he had a solid game.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#16 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you jerked your knee like that

That's awesome

#17 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

I love Smith.  Yes, right now we want to ring his neck but like most people are saying he is a rookie.  Too bad he didn't have the chance to play with Lids, his learning curve would have been a lot less.

#18 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hilarious ... great timing OP!

#19 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Jesus, remember how long it took Big Rig to become solid?  Just last season people were screaming for his head, and now...poof!  He's been a sound, strong defenseman for us this year. 

I really hope we're not in for three seasons of goating Smith until he develops...

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Jesus, remember how long it took Big Rig to become solid?  Just last season people were screaming for his head, and now...poof!  He's been a sound, strong defenseman for us this year. 

I really hope we're not in for three seasons of goating Smith until he develops...

Ericsson was a solid D man last year too, it just took a while for people to get out of the habit of bashing him to actually notice.

This year he's stepped up in a major way.  I wouldn't have guessed he'd look this good on the top pairing.