Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

So the consensus on Shanny's #14 is a no?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

The Mlive article got me thinking about this.

http://www.mlive.com...ml#incart_river

The majority seems to think that #14 in the rafters is a no-go.

So what works against Shanny the most?

• Not playing his entire career here? This is bull to me for Shanny because anyone who knows of Brendan Shanahan thinks of him as a Red Wing and it's not close.
  • The selectiveness of the Red Wings when it comes to retiring numbers? The guys who are up there are legends.
  • The fact that the Wings won't retire #91? Maybe if he didn't act like such a ****...

Reality is that when he was here, he was arguably our best player and without question our #1 goal scorer. I personally think he should be retired, but I'm only at about 55/45 with it. I think the argument that works against him the most is the Wings' selectiveness.

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 05 August 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#2 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,187 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

I agree Shanny was great and I was pleasantly surprised at how seamlessly he fit in here right away, but I think the bar is set pretty damn high for sweaters in the rafters and he just doesn't quite make it.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Anytime that there is even a debate whether someone's number should be retired I feel like they shouldn't be up.

#4 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

I agree with both of you, and again, it sounds like we're talking about the prestigiousness of Red Wings' retired numbers.

I just feel like the impact he had from day 1 was very significant. I mean, he was given the "A" before he stepped into the lockerroom and he left only to allow the organization to move forward.

#5 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

I would imagine now a days it takes 15+ years of playing here to even be considered. If I had to pick, Shanny would be my next pick of all former players to be up there, but doesnt really make the cut for me outright. 

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#6 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Shanny is the perfect example of why the Wings need a "Ring of Honor" in the new arena. Gives the Wings a way to honor guys like Shanny, Homer, etc, who certainly deserve great recognition, but don't quite meet the standard set by Stevie and Nick.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#7 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

He meets the following criteria:

1) stanley cup
2) 1000 pts
3) a letter on his jersey

He misses #4 = 15 seasons with the Wings.

#8 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

i think the fact that nyquist has been wearing 14 is a pretty clear indication there aren't really plans to have it retired..

I really wish feds had a better ending to his time here though, he deserves 91 retired.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#9 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

i think the fact that nyquist has been wearing 14 is a pretty clear indication there aren't really plans to have it retired..

I really wish feds had a better ending to his time here though, he deserves 91 retired.

Yes. Fedorov before Shanny and Fedorov will never make it.

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

There's no doubt we all love what Shanny did for us. The guy was Wing royalty for almost ten years. But alas, retired numbers should he reserved for very, very special cases. There will be lots of fantastic players playing for the Wings. I feel like you have to really define the Wings to be retired. Yzerman and Lidstrom did, perhaps Shanny didn't.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

We wouldn't have to lower our standards very far to include Shanny, but we would have to lower them, so let's not do that.

The more discussions I have like this, the more I wish we did have that "ring of honour".

No one will ever see the number 14 on a Red Wing and think, "ah, Meech".

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

#14 was back in circulation two seasons after Shanahan left. It was apparent then that he would not receive the honor in question.

Edited by Crymson, 05 August 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#13 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I thought he left because they wouldn't make him captain. I could be wrong though, but if true his number shouldn't be retired

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

I thought he left because they wouldn't make him captain. I could be wrong though, but if true his number shouldn't be retired

I don't recall ever hearing this. I doubt he believed that he was in line for the captaincy at any point. It was apparent to everybody that either Lidstrom or Zetterberg would come after Yzerman.

#15 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think if we're going to speculate, the best theory is that he left because he didn't get along with Babcock. Same as Scheider and Lang. Although I think in the case of all three of theses guys, the Wings weren't overly worried about them leaving either.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#16 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

HHOF does not equal JLA rafters. Reserved strictly for DRW legends.

I honestly think after Nick, we will not see another number up there for a very long time.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#17 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

It's been a long time, but I vaguely remember that after Stevie retired, Shanny felt that it was time to hand the reigns to Z and Pav- the next generation, if you will.

He felt that his time here was done when Stevie left.  Or something to that effect.  Granted, that might have been what he told the press, and he might have had other reasons.  Who knows?

Anyway, that's what I remember hearing from back then.  Any verification- one way or the other- would be appreciated.

#18 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Derek Meech before him...

#19 slavetothehotlight

slavetothehotlight

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

The standards for jersey retirements are super high for the Wings and most teams. I think next to us the AVS might be the next most strictest team.

#20 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

It's been a long time, but I vaguely remember that after Stevie retired, Shanny felt that it was time to hand the reigns to Z and Pav- the next generation, if you will.

He felt that his time here was done when Stevie left.  Or something to that effect.  Granted, that might have been what he told the press, and he might have had other reasons.  Who knows?

Anyway, that's what I remember hearing from back then.  Any verification- one way or the other- would be appreciated.

That's what I remember, too. The official story was that he felt his era was over. Time to make room for the new Red Wings like Datsyuk. That being said, it could've been because he didn't want to deal with Babcock. I forget, did he go to Jersey after us? Was their coach more laid back?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.