• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Nyquist Getting the call

Rate this topic

Either Nyquist plays one game and goes back down, or he plays two and Holland absolutely HAS to move someone because there won't be cap room.

I think we're getting close to seeing Cleary or someone else waived. It'd be a total slap in Babcock's face, but they're already at professional odds. I just don't think there's a trade out there, and Holland was waiting as long as he could before he had to start letting people go for nothing.

After hearing that from Holland from his interview with Matt Dery, I've totally lost any hope that Holland is the guy to move this team into the next phase. Thanks for what he's done, but time to move on to someone who can change with the times.

He is right, though. Kids are never supposed to be the centerpiece of a successful team. You infuse the lineup with youth but never rely on them. Here's where it gets interesting. If that is Holland's philosophy, then it contradicts his "we have to roll with what we have" mantra of the past few years. If you promote from within, you are relying on your youth.

The best strategy, which as always worked, is create a core of players in their prime, add some veteran presence and insert one or two kids to keep energy up and to gain experience.

For all the bashing of Holland re-signing vets and Babcock's stupid lineups, we do ice DeKeyser, Smith, Lashoff, Andersson and Tatar. I don't know how that stacks up league-wide, but that is a lot of kids. It's just not a lot of GOOD kids.

"Nyquist Getting the Call"

Nyquist: Hello?

Holland: Hey Gustav, how are things in Grand Rapids?

Nyquist: Great, I'm leading the team in scoring and we're first in our division and....

Holland: Yeahhh, that's swell. Say listen, could you give Eaves a message for me? Tell him to pack his bags for Detroit. We're calling him up for Thursday's game. K Thx, later!!!!!

Everytime I read Cleary's name, I feel sincere anger, no more so than when I read he is skating on the first line with our best centerman. I'd prefer Holland just pulls off the bandaid already, keeps Nyquist in the lineup for two games and forces himself to trade (read: waive) one of his half-dozen plugs.

This is the best news I've ever heard! He can't be sent back down after he plays 2 games so this is just so so great

Well, technically he can be. Of course he wouldn't be waiver exempt & would absolutely be claimed by another team, but technically he can be sent down. I'm just not willing to say it wouldn't happen with 100% certainty after thinking it was impossible that Cleary would wind back up on the team.

He is right, though. Kids are never supposed to be the centerpiece of a successful team. You infuse the lineup with youth but never rely on them. Here's where it gets interesting. If that is Holland's philosophy, then it contradicts his "we have to roll with what we have" mantra of the past few years. If you promote from within, you are relying on your youth.

The best strategy, which as always worked, is create a core of players in their prime, add some veteran presence and insert one or two kids to keep energy up and to gain experience.

For all the bashing of Holland re-signing vets and Babcock's stupid lineups, we do ice DeKeyser, Smith, Lashoff, Andersson and Tatar. I don't know how that stacks up league-wide, but that is a lot of kids. It's just not a lot of GOOD kids.

you list 5 people, but tatar is regularly scratched and lashoff is the 7th defenseman. so that narrows it down to 3. and smith took like 5 years to even get here. if you look at that draft in 07 that smith and andersson come from, you will see that there are 45 players from that draft with more games played. so its not like these are players coming to the nhl before their peers or anything. same with tatar. 42 players from his draft with more nhl games played.

we did finally get forced to get younger on defense last year. but even then its not like we are rolling a bunch of 20 year olds out there. sure we are less old than teams of years past. but that doesn't really mean we are young either.

There goes Ken's trade deadline acquisition :lol:

bazing!

Shoot *kicks dirt*, it's bittersweet cause I was hoping to see him again for Friday's Griffins game I have tickets for. After that, then he can go up :P

For those that haven't seen him play in person, very fun to watch.

Everytime I read Cleary's name, I feel sincere anger, no more so than when I read he is skating on the first line with our best centerman. I'd prefer Holland just pulls off the bandaid already, keeps Nyquist in the lineup for two games and forces himself to trade (read: waive) one of his half-dozen plugs.

Can we find whoever handles the paperwork for sending players up and down, and bribe them to "lose" the documents sending Nyquist back down so that he has no choice but to stay up for a second game?

Guest Playmaker

Last I checked, we had guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Alfredsson, Bertuzzi. How is that making Nyquist and Tatar the "centerpiece"?

Nyquist, Smith, and Andersson are 24. DeKeyser and Lashoff are 23. Tatar is 22. It's not like we're putting in 18 year olds.

That "strategy" worked when we could spend unlimited amounts of money on players and Hakan Andersson could pull a rabbit out of a hat and we could fill the gaps left by not getting high draft picks.

I know cleary shouldnt be anywhere near lines 1 or 2 but i think its only until weiss/alfie return next week and our actual lineup takes shape.

there are 2 lineups that i think we will see.

(With z and dats together)

Z-dats-bert

Fran-weiss-alfie

Nyq-Helm-tatar

Miller-andy-Abby

(With z and dats split)

Alfie-dats-bert

Fran-Z-Nyq

Abby-weiss-tatar

Miller-helm-sammy/cleary

Edited by RedWang

After hearing that from Holland from his interview with Matt Dery, I've totally lost any hope that Holland is the guy to move this team into the next phase. Thanks for what he's done, but time to move on to someone who can change with the times.

Especially seeing as how the KIDS are the reason we damn near took the hawks out last year in the playoffs.

Oh dear, when I saw Bab's said Zetterberg Nyquist Franzen I was stoked! When he said Datsyuk Bertuzzi Cleary I puked in my mouth a little bit. Seriously I feel Miller could help with offense more then Clears at the moment..

Edited by 13dangledangle