• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Nyquist Getting the call

Rate this topic

I do. Babcock basically said as much today. He's an emergency call up, so it doesn't affect his 2 game limit. Babcock essentially said Nyquist has to the blow the roof off the joint to ensure he stays in the lineup. Hard to imagine they won't send him down if they went to the trouble to make him an emergency call-up so they wouldn't be forced to keep him up.

I do. Babcock basically said as much today. He's an emergency call up, so it doesn't affect his 2 game limit. Babcock essentially said Nyquist has to the blow the roof off the joint to ensure he stays in the lineup. Hard to imagine they won't send him down if they went to the trouble to make him an emergency call-up so they wouldn't be forced to keep him up.

that's a tall order for a medium sized Swede... but he could do it. I wonder what the issue is with the rest of them, that bringing up the best player from GR is supposed to be motivating and wake them up? Personally, much as I love them all (well, most of them), I don't see a leader who demands the best of himself -- and absolutely expects the rest of his team mates to play up to his standard. Haven't had that in a while, actualy....

Even if he scored a hat trick they'd almost certainly send him down, painful as that would be. I'm not totally clear on all the implications but I think Nyquist losing his eligibility would handcuff the roster even more than it already is.

Even if he scored a hat trick they'd almost certainly send him down, painful as that would be. I'm not totally clear on all the implications but I think Nyquist losing his eligibility would handcuff the roster even more than it already is.

How much cap relief would the wings get from waiving cleary?

f*** babs... honestly Nyquist knows that he needs to perform - babs doesn't need to publicly announce this s***. He is only putting more pressure. Babs has no ******* clue how to motivate kids versus vets. Kids just need opportunity (and not be pressured heavily with the threat of imminent failure). Cleary might respond to some threats babs... try them on him next time instead of benching him for 1 game with no change.

How much cap relief would the wings get from waiving cleary?

I think they'd get $925,000. Even if Holland were inclined to do that it seems extremely unlikely. Aside from admitting his mistake, it sets a bad precedent to sign a player, especially someone who took less money to come back to play with the Wings, then waive him two months into the season.

f*** babs... honestly Nyquist knows that he needs to perform - babs doesn't need to publicly announce this s***. He is only putting more pressure. Babs has nof****** clue how to motivate kids versus vets. Kids just need opportunity (and not be pressured heavily with the threat of imminent failure). Cleary might respond to some threats babs... try them on him next time instead of benching him for 1 game with no change.

I understand people are frustrated with the Nyquist situation but don't you think this is a bit of an overreaction?

Babcock wasn't threatening Nyquist. He was stating the obvious. Given Nyquist has 2 games left and the wings ridiculous roster situation, he would have to absolutely dominate for them to even consider keeping him and dealing with all the roster and cap implications.

I'm guessing Babcock is as frustrated as most people here are regarding Nyquist. The Wings need offense and he can provide it. Yet he's in the minors because of Holland's contracts.

Babcock on Nyquist:

“He was a good player for us last year and a key for us on our second-unit power play,'' Babcock said. "Played real well for us in the playoffs.

"He’s quick, generates offense, gives us another skilled player to play on our top six, which is real positive for us. We knew all along that we were going to try to get him here; we just financially had no way to do that. It’s great to see him here.”

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/11/red_wings_recall_gustav_nyquis_3.html

I think they'd get $925,000. Even if Holland were inclined to do that it seems extremely unlikely. Aside from admitting his mistake, it sets a bad precedent to sign a player, especially someone who took less money to come back to play with the Wings, then waive him two months into the season.

I understand people are frustrated with the Nyquist situation but don't you think this is a bit of an overreaction?

Babcock wasn't threatening Nyquist. He was stating the obvious. Given Nyquist has 2 games left and the wings ridiculous roster situation, he would have to absolutely dominate for them to even consider keeping him and dealing with all the roster and cap implications.

I'm guessing Babcock is as frustrated as most people here are regarding Nyquist. The Wings need offense and he can provide it. Yet he's in the minors because of Holland's contracts.

Babcock on Nyquist:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/11/red_wings_recall_gustav_nyquis_3.html

Babs loves goose. Which annoys me that he wanted Cleary back so bad considering he should have known it would affect goose being in the lineup full time. If we had made the conference finals goose would still be on this team, just saying

I still don't buy that. Cleary took "less money" because nobody offered him anything other than a PTO. For a damn good reason too.

As much as it hurts, we can't help the Goose situation. If he plays the 2 games and loses waiver exemption it only makes it harder for Holland to pull of roster moves. Teams already know he's handcuffed and will have to waive worst case scenario resulting in the possibility of a free pickup for them. Holland's stated numerous times that he's been attempting to make moves and open space but there simply isn't grabbers right now. It could be him lowballing or it could be a dry market, who knows but he is trying.

In other news, the boys gave Goose a stick tap when he arrived in Detroit this morning and joined them for practice. There's a picture of him getting hugged on while getting the taps via twitter.

Holland offered him a 3 year contract in June. That's what I was referring to as coming back for less money.

Well, that's even more insane. Everyone keeps mentioning how nice it was of him to come back for less money, when we all know the truth. I hate that we are going to have to talk about this all season long, but it really is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edited by rrasco

As much as it hurts, we can't help the Goose situation. If he plays the 2 games and loses waiver exemption it only makes it harder for Holland to pull of roster moves. Teams already know he's handcuffed and will have to waive worst case scenario resulting in the possibility of a free pickup for them. Holland's stated numerous times that he's been attempting to make moves and open space but there simply isn't grabbers right now. It could be him lowballing or it could be a dry market, who knows but he is trying.

In other news, the boys gave Goose a stick tap when he arrived in Detroit this morning and joined them for practice. There's a picture of him getting hugged on while getting the taps via twitter.

I'm sure there would be takers if we retained salary. If we traded sammy and retained every penny of his salary except for the 950000 for nyquists contract and offered a 3rd round pick with him for a 7th I'm sure a team would do it. Holland just doesn't value Nyquist's development as much as a 3rd round pick apparently.

I'm sure there would be takers if we retained salary. If we traded sammy and retained every penny of his salary except for the 950000 for nyquists contract and offered a 3rd round pick with him for a 7th I'm sure a team would do it. Holland just doesn't value Nyquist's development as much as a 3rd round pick apparently.

you can only retain %50

Guess you didn't watch 'em.

You guessed incorrectly. Wow - so you were serious..... you actually think that the 'kids' were 'the' reason that Detroit nearly beat the Blackhawks in the playoffs last year?

So, Tatar was playing in Grand Rapids. DeKeyser was injured. Lashoff was benched. So, I can only assume that you are talking about Smith, Nyquist, and Andersson. Now, I am not trying to take away from the performance of these players during the playoffs because I was generally impressed with them as well. However.....

Smith, Nyquist and Andersson combined for 3 goals out of 15 during the series.

Nyquist and Andersson averaged around 13:00 of ice time per game each during the playoffs.

The 3 of them were part of a 4 way tie for 7th ont he team in playoff scoring.

None of them played any significant minutes against the oppositions best players.

Again, they all contributed as best they could and when they could. But, as I said, suggesting that they were 'the reason' Detroit almost beat Chicago is a complete exaggeration.

Welp in 1 game Nyqvist was able to score twice as many goals as Cleary has all season. It was nice that Babs put Cleary on a line with Datsyuk for this night too, to show the Wings organization exactly what Cleary can do on (or to) a top line, while also showcasing what Nyqvist can do in the top 6.

Your move Holland.

If the Wings will send down Nyquist after the game like this, it will be the biggest slap in the face for one of our best prospects. Really, what else must he do to remain in the NHL instead of non-performing Sammy, Cleary, Bert?

well Kenny, the kid is more than ready no way they can send him down now after a game like this.

welcome back Nyquist you've been missed way too long. Looks like he not only worked on his game but also on bulking up good for Gus :-)

Edited by frankgrimes

Welp in 1 game Nyqvist was able to score twice as many goals as Cleary has all season. It was nice that Babs put Cleary on a line with Datsyuk for this night too, to show the Wings organization exactly what Cleary can do on (or to) a top line, while also showcasing what Nyqvist can do in the top 6.

Your move Holland.

Or to put it another way - after 1 game, he has the same number of goals as Cleary and Miller combined in 45 games. 2 players who didn't need to be re-signed, eating up $3.1M of cap space.

Anyway, if Nyquist stays up and continues to perform, what chance he makes Sweden's roster for the Olympics?

Edited by Nev

Or to put it another way - after 1 game, he has the same number of goals as Cleary and Miller combined in 45 games. 2 players who didn't need to be re-signed, eating up $3.1M of cap space.

Anyway, if Nyquist stays up and continues to perform, what chance he makes Sweden's roster for the Olympics?

I wouldn't count on that, Sweden has a lot of good forwards and their defense, goaltending is impressive they aren't that stacked upfront but for Nyquist to make that team he would have to stay up and keep playing at that pace = unrealistic sadly.