Photo
- - - - -

Leafs/Wings 24/7 Episode 1 Discussion (12/14)

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

Imagine how fun this show would have been years ago, if Lilja and Downey were still around?

Then again, the Wings did this in 2003, back when we had personalities like Shanny, Chelios, Hull, etc.  Hard to find personalities like that. 

God, 24/7 would've been perfect for Lilja and Downey :lol:

#NOMOREKINDL

#42 SetecX

SetecX

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

No word from Dats sadly. Also, I want an animated gif of Bert drinking that beer lol.

#43 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Imagine how fun this show would have been years ago, if Lilja and Downey were still around?

Then again, the Wings did this in 2003, back when we had personalities like Shanny, Chelios, Hull, etc.  Hard to find personalities like that. 

I think Tootoo would be great. But it looks like he's pretty much done as a Wing.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#44 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,854 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

No word from Dats sadly. Also, I want an animated gif of Bert drinking that beer lol.

Cheap ass was drinking Corona.   :lol:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#45 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Cheap ass was drinking Corona.   :lol:

Probably just for the camera's, he had the Whiskey bottle hidden away.

#NOMOREKINDL

#46 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I was let down.... It felt like an hour long interview with highlights plugged in.... In previous years it wasn't near as many interviews and more just the fly on the wall aspect...

#47 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

Incredibly let down. Where is the coverage on Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Those are celebrity status players in Detroit... Not Smith, Quincey, Helm. Maybe theyre saving best for last who knows.

#48 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

I'm not gonna lie, I was let down.... It felt like an hour long interview with highlights plugged in.... In previous years it wasn't near as many interviews and more just the fly on the wall aspect...

Yes,can't decide what is more annoying,lack of emotions from our guys or cockiness from the Leafs players lol

#49 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

Not great, and I had really looked forward to this.  Tater Tots reading the roster was cute, and the shot of Bert swilling bad Mexican cerveza was a slightly interesting moment.  Because it's HBO, they say f*** a lot, along with variations of epithets inclusive of that censored word.

Perhaps the negative tone (re: both teams) was part of the 'drama' angle?  I found it depressing, basically.

Otherwise, I hate Phaneuf.  But Joffrey Lupul is fun to look at.

I am like others here in that I can only wish for this show with some of our former players.  It would have been epic!

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#50 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

Incredibly let down. Where is the coverage on Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Those are celebrity status players in Detroit... Not Smith, Quincey, Helm. Maybe theyre saving best for last who knows.

Injured?

Love this show, not sure what you guys were expecting. Tatar reading the lineup was hilarious. Phaneuf is like the villainous boyfriend of the dorky guy's love interest in a rom-com. In the end I think Kessel gets Elisha.
Babcock behind the scenes is great. "I thought the league wanted MORE goals!". Also this should probably clear up that he's not to blame (too much) for the team sitting back on leads.

I only hope they waste less time in coming episodes on slow-motion montages set to (admittedly great) emotionally evocative music. I want a bit more lockerroom stuff and seeing what the guys do outside the rink, great moment with Helmer & Co. out at dinner.

#51 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:08 AM

Bert drinking the Corona...I can't stand the stuff, but whatever...

I liked the picture of Pasha sound asleep on the plane...I wonder what he was listening to that put him out?  Maybe I need to get a hold of it to be able to sleep at night.  It's been so long since I've had a good night's sleep I wouldn't know what one was if it came up and kicked me.

Posted Image

#52 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

I thought it was pretty damn good, aside from it showcasing them being terrible at hockey haha. It's pretty interesting to see behind the scenes and what's really said between players and coaches. Tatar tot was hilarious, and seeing Pavel knocked out on the plane was pretty great. Hopefully in the next episode he gets some interview time. It would also be nice to see the highlights of them actually winning a damn game. I guess we gotta be thankful that the Leafs didn't look any better in this episode : )

#53 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

I loved how Alfie said to his kids now  "don't fight" lol. 

#54 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

I figured you all would enjoy this

Attached Files

#55 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

Injured?

Love this show, not sure what you guys were expecting. Tatar reading the lineup was hilarious. Phaneuf is like the villainous boyfriend of the dorky guy's love interest in a rom-com. In the end I think Kessel gets Elisha.
Babcock behind the scenes is great. "I thought the league wanted MORE goals!". Also this should probably clear up that he's not to blame (too much) for the team sitting back on leads.

I only hope they waste less time in coming episodes on slow-motion montages set to (admittedly great) emotionally evocative music. I want a bit more lockerroom stuff and seeing what the guys do outside the rink, great moment with Helmer & Co. out at dinner.

I was expecting less of the predictable canned interviews and questions, How does Stephen Weiss feel about returning to Florida, what's it like to play for an original 6 team, what do you think of Pavel Datsyuk, and more "day in the life" type stuff.  FSD did a special last year a "behind the scenes" type thing, and I thought it was done much better than this was, just no f words.  Similarly, NHLN did a 24 hours with Nick Lidstrom and it was also more "behind the scenes" and gave much more insight than this special did.  I expected much more from HBO.  I also wanted less Maple Leafs and more Red Wings  ;)

#56 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

To be clear, I thought it was great. Beautifully done, the cinematography and soundtrack and brilliant little moments here and there. But it has a slightly different overall feel than what I think everyone was expecting. Maybe it's because these are two Original Six franchises. Maybe they want to make it more classy, straightforward, a little more like a "serious" documentary than a hardcore fan's all-out wet dream. Maybe a little more about the Human Drama than "How many times did he say f***?"

I guess what I'm saying is it felt grown-up, PC, non-gimmicky - which is, perhaps, the opposite of what we were expecting. But it's still fantastic stuff.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#57 Kingston

Kingston

Rookie

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

hey guys, i uploaded the show from last night on youtube

#58 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

I figured you all would enjoy this

That is a treasure...

To those of you who thought it was boring...if you want drama queens, go back to Pittsburgh and film there.  They have a plethora of divas there.  We're just wanting to get work done and win some games.

Posted Image

#59 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

Datsyuk came off the injury tho and I would have liked to seen a few words from him. I thought HBO would take advantage of the injured players and have more time with them (Zetterberg for instance). Cmon I want to see behind the scenes stuff about two of the best players in the world!

Then again Dats and Zet lack of coverage could be because they're quiet guys in general..

Edited by kickazz, 15 December 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#60 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

To my surprise I really liked it, HBO didn't go into too much private stuff. Man, Phaneuf has outstanding "dressing room" and a damn nice house/wife. The best part to me was showing Danny K., Helm, Howard? at the bar discussing what they are going to order and when Pasha would be back.

Man, if Carlyle and Babcock are really doing their intermission and pre speeches in such a tempo, I'd find it hard to really remember everything. It's like do this and that ok? Let's go how can new players/young ones perform to the expectations if these speeches are done sooooo fast?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !