• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Next Seasons Needs/Team Future

Rate this topic

Fine....top six DMan on a playoff team...regardless...he's an NHL player filling a spot for 80 game. Sorry he isn't he next Bobby Orr..but he's an NHL PLAYER and decent one at t hat. Something more than pick #19 from the 2012 draft likely would have been by now.

Sorry to rock the boat on one of the three memes of this board (Quincey sucks...Holland is dumb..Franzen blows) but I honestly don't think the Wings biggest problem is Kyle F'n Quincey

What do you think the Wings biggest problem is?

Quincy is our 5th best dman and we are wasting 4 million on him... Pretty sure that is a hugeeee problem.

For two years I don't think it will interfere with future plans though. Hopefully anyway. Niskanen at 7 would.

For two years I don't think it will interfere with future plans though. Hopefully anyway. Niskanen at 7 would.

I think at least 2 of our D prospects will be ready after THIS season - so ya it will interfere. Ideally we'd break one in this year and then move Lashoff and Kindl out and break in another next year.

I think at least 2 of our D prospects will be ready after THIS season - so ya it will interfere. Ideally we'd break one in this year and then move Lashoff and Kindl out and break in another next year.

I agree, but look at the contract Sheahan signed. I don't think it'll break us in the next 2 seasons

If I were GM I would have tried to construct a D like this:

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Ericsson

Del Zotto - Marchenko

Lashoff

Never would have signed Quincey. Would have traded or bought out Kindl (we have the cap space for the next few years). I would have tried to get Del Zotto on a 2 year deal and tried to turn his value around. After this year I would be looking to trade E/Smith/DZ (depending on their value at the end of the year) in a package for a RH Dman and clear up one more roster space for Sproul.

Signing Del Zotto would have been high reward low risk considering we have insurance in GR. If Del Zotto found his game again he could be traded or make Smith/E more expendable for trading purposes. Nobody wants Quincey because he has already reached his potential and it isn't worth his contract.

EDIT: I also always thought "Del Zotto" would look sick on the back of a Wings jersey.

Edited by dirtydangles

Quincy is our 5th best dman and we are wasting 4 million on him... Pretty sure that is a hugeeee problem.

If other GMs would have signed a guy like Quincey to a 8,5 million contract we would be laughing at them but in some people's ice Holland can never do wrong (although he failed to improve this team since our last cup run)...

And I agree this is a huge problem, just for comparison Niklas Hjalmarsson would easily be a top 4 pairing player on this team and is making less than Quincey.,..There is no sugarcoating around it, this is a horrible deal out of desperation.

Biggest problems? Lets see.....

16th ranked O last year-major issue

16th ranked D last year-major issue

roster is over full-big issue

out of cap space already-big issue

As of today we are maybe the 9th best team in the east-major issue

16th ranked offense last year due to probably the most bizarre rash of injuries to key players we've ever witnessed.

16th ranked defense last year due again to significant injuries, but mostly because of our young blue line getting accustomed to the NHL.

*** Please do not say that we are going to be more injured than last season because all of our players are a year older... It just won't happen.

I will bet most if not all of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Weiss, Ericsson and DeKeyser will play more games than last season.

Our roster is not "over full", although I would like to rid ourselves of a couple spare parts (Andersson, Kindl). I'm one of the few that would like to see all of Jurco, Pulkkinen and Mantha start the season in Grand Rapids.

We are not "out of cap space already". We should still have over 6 million after Tatar and DeKeyser are signed.

As of today, I would bet we could challenge for the Division but more realistically we would finish around 4th or 5th in the Conference.

Guest DeGraa55

16th ranked offense last year due to probably the most bizarre rash of injuries to key players we've ever witnessed.

16th ranked defense last year due again to significant injuries, but mostly because of our young blue line getting accustomed to the NHL.

*** Please do not say that we are going to be more injured than last season because all of our players are a year older... It just won't happen.

I will bet most if not all of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Weiss, Ericsson and DeKeyser will play more games than last season.

Our roster is not "over full", although I would like to rid ourselves of a couple spare parts (Andersson, Kindl). I'm one of the few that would like to see all of Jurco, Pulkkinen and Mantha start the season in Grand Rapids.

We are not "out of cap space already". We should still have over 6 million after Tatar and DeKeyser are signed.

As of today, I would bet we could challenge for the Division but more realistically we would finish around 4th or 5th in the Conference.

It's funny last year I made a thread "is anyone happy". An about 90% of the people on here maybe more were saying the same thing. About how we can compete for the easy etc etc. and we needed up rights where I thought we would. And it'll be the same this year.

The only things that can change that are if Weiss lives up to being a number 2 here. AND the kids have another great year. More specifically Tatar, nyquist, Sheahan, smith dekeyser.

The other thing is which I think will happen is Howard needs to bounce back and have another good year.

The problem is that's too many what ifs.

I would bet a large amount of money that our key players play significantly more than they did last season, along with the development of our young guys and as a result we finish significantly higher than we did last season.

Guest DeGraa55

I would bet a large amount of money that our key players play significantly more than they did last season, along with the development of our young guys and as a result we finish significantly higher than we did last season.

That be a foolish bet. Looking at guys like z dat Weiss and Franzen they're trending down injury wise. So why on earth would you expect it to be different? It's fine to hope and dream but you're basically asking for the sun to rise from the west...

I agree with Pulks, and Mantha for the 1st half of the season. But Jurco? Why? He's shown he's ready. Why in the good lords name should we re-sign Alfie and Cleary hypothetically, to bump down Jurco? I've got no problem with Hollands method with kids, but once a guy has shown he's ready for the dance, get him here full time. No more Nyquist situations.

That be a foolish bet. Looking at guys like z dat Weiss and Franzen they're trending down injury wise. So why on earth would you expect it to be different? It's fine to hope and dream but you're basically asking for the sun to rise from the west...

The issues Hank have been having have been repaired. Weiss will be fine. He was stubborn and played hurt, and made things worst. He will be healthy and good to go this season. The extra long summer will help Datsyuk a lot. There are also no olympics to cause him to keep playing hurt so he can represent his country. Franzen being out from time to time won;t be the end of the world with the depth in the system. In the end, it is highly unlikely these guys combined miss anywhere close to what they did last year. Wouldn't be a foolish bet what so ever.

DeGraa55, make the bet. I'm with marcaractac. There is very little chance for any of those players to miss anything close to what they missed last season. So that along with the young guys having another full season, we will be a much better team. Guaranteed!

Detroit # 1 Fan, I just don't see any harm in Jurco getting top line minutes down in Grand Rapids for another half season or so. Having a player like Jurco as a first call up is never a bad thing. Depth is key to success in the NHL.

Having a player like Jurco as a first call up is never a bad thing. Depth is key to success in the NHL.

I agree with these points but, at the same time, I'd rather see the Tatar-Shaehan-Jurco line continue to develop their chemistry.

They were one of the most exciting lines to watch last season imo and they're only going to get better.

But yeah, not the end of the world if jurco starts in grand rapids....

Edited by amato

DeGraa55, make the bet. I'm with marcaractac. There is very little chance for any of those players to miss anything close to what they missed last season. So that along with the young guys having another full season, we will be a much better team. Guaranteed!

Detroit # 1 Fan, I just don't see any harm in Jurco getting top line minutes down in Grand Rapids for another half season or so. Having a player like Jurco as a first call up is never a bad thing. Depth is key to success in the NHL.

I agree with you guys, chances are that both Dats and Z play more than 45 games. They almost certainly will. But I think it obscures the point a little. Sure they'll play more than 45 games, but what if they only play 60...65? We're f***ed either way.

Hell, what if each Datsyuk and Zetterberg only miss 10 games but they happen to be games against the teams we're competing with for a playoff spot? Remember how bunched together everyone was last year?

To me, the important point is that without those guys playing 100% on almost every given night, our team isn't very competitive. Maybe the emergence of Nyquist, Tatar, etc. will render this a moot point...but I'm not sure everyone is convinced of this YET.

Hence the allure of signing or trading for an impact player. Then everyone could sigh a little when Dats goes down and say "whew, at least we've got Kesler, or Stastny, or Spezza, or whomever", and not "whew at least we've got Weiss, Helm, or Sheahan".

What do you guys think of Ryan Malone? I haven't followed him too much after he left Pit, but could he be a in front of the net power forward type we could use?

I see Vancouver bought out Booth and he is a UFA. Also, I would love to add Jeremy Welsh to our crop of young talent. Other players that I think would be nice here INSTEAD of re-signing Cleary:

Heatley, Ott, Setoguchi and then the mentioned Booth and Malone..

What do you guys think of Ryan Malone? I haven't followed him too much after he left Pit, but could he be a in front of the net power forward type we could use?

I see Vancouver bought out Booth and he is a UFA. Also, I would love to add Jeremy Welsh to our crop of young talent. Other players that I think would be nice here INSTEAD of re-signing Cleary:

Heatley, Ott, Setoguchi and then the mentioned Booth and Malone..

Malone would basically be a 2nd Abdelkader on our team that doesn't hit as much. Heatley is a bad idea...he's like a poor man's Franzen these days. Ott would be great here with his assholey abrasive style. Not too familiar with Booth these days. Setoguchi....as a big Jets fan as well, I can tell you I am insanely happy to not have him on the Jets anymore. He's lazy, he's soft and he misses the net more than Franzen.

So out of those guys, yes to Ott, but only if we can dump Andersson to free up a spot.

I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised to see either Zetterberg or Datsyuk to play close to a full season.

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that between the two of them they play over 140 games and put up over 130 points.

I'll add to that by saying that Weiss has a career year putting up over 60 points, and Franzen will be at his usual 55-60 point pace.

I also think Nyquist and Tatar will beat last years point totals and between the both of them, they will put up 100+ points.

I may be a little overly optimistic, but hey, someone needs to counter all of the overly pessimistic people on here... :lol:

Ya good luck with that. Then he'd have to be accountable to the things he says. lol

I'm with ya in terms of those guys starting in the minors. Hell I'd get Griffins season tickets to see that squad. (If I lived there)

Jurco Athanasiou Mantha

Nastasiak Miele Pulkkinen

Ferraro Nosek Callahan

Ouellet Marchenko

Backman Sproul

Nedomlel Jensen

Mrazek

*sprinkle in the AHL vets

I also agree that Weiss is going to have a great year.