Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Dan Boyle's rights traded to the Islanders…..

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

The big concern with Boyle is the deathtrapezoid effect (a big reason why "big and mobile" is the new school), which, in our case, is compounded by our goalie being a terrible, terrible puckhandler. While I'm pro-Boyle, I could see him succumbing to death-by-F1.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#142 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

The big concern with Boyle is the deathtrapezoid effect (a big reason why "big and mobile" is the new school), which, in our case, is compounded by our goalie being a terrible, terrible puckhandler. While I'm pro-Boyle, I could see him succumbing to death-by-F1.

I see your concern but let's be honest with what Boyle is : A stop gap (admittedly a better than most of our current D-man) till we find a younger replacement, be it from our own young guys or via trade/UFA. While the problem you pointed out would concern me too if we'd sign him longterm I don't think they have that much weight in what this signing will much likley be.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#143 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

If I'm understanding the arguments correctly, we should sign Dan Boyle because he'll give us a right handed puck mover (but not one good enough to help us advance in the playoffs), and he'll provide leadership (but not any more than you already had in Kronwall, Ericsson, and Quincey). 

I'm sold. 

Your eyeball test says Smith is awesome in the same way that your eyeball test says Miguel Cabrera is awesome.  Gotcha.  I'm not going to argue with you about what your eyeball test tells you.  You win.   

Nice English comprehension skills.

#144 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

Nice English comprehension skills.

Yes, that's the real problem around here... kip's first language is logic.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#145 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

I see your concern but let's be honest with what Boyle is : A stop gap (admittedly a better than most of our current D-man) till we find a younger replacement, be it from our own young guys or via trade/UFA. While the problem you pointed out would concern me too if we'd sign him longterm I don't think they have that much weight in what this signing will much likley be.

I'd actually meant to mention that it'd concern me even on a good one-year deal. (FWIW, he's rumored to be looking for two years but may be open to just one.)

I'd worry about Boyle's endurance over a full season as a Red Wing. We saw DeKeyser get hurt in that kind of situation. We saw the Ducks hammer Doughty behind his net every chance they got in the second round. It'd be much less of a concern if our goalie could handle the puck (like, I dunno, PETR MRAZEK) and we were great at breaking out of our zone (like, I dunno, A GOOD TEAM).

But, all things considered? I'd be thrilled to have the guy on our team. I believe that if we have a healthy Zetterberg, a healthy Datsyuk (dude has not been close to fully healthy for some time now, regardless of what he says), a healthy Ericsson, and Boyle playing in place of one of our bottom-three defensemen, we take the Bruins to seven games and quite possibly take the series and maybe even the Wales Trophy. (Not the Cup, tho. We wouldn't stand a chance against the Kings. Sorry.) Boyle means we actually have a power play to speak of. Boyle means some of our shots from the point actually hit the net. Boyle means we move the puck much better and have an honest-to-goodness transition game and we spend less time in our zone and we score more goals.

And if none of that actually comes to fruition? If we sign him and he never really delivers? That's Opportunity for a kid, and we have Dan Boyle on the third pairing or something. I could live with that.

Edited by Dabura, 19 June 2014 - 09:44 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#146 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

Yes, that's the real problem around here... kip's first language is logic.

Actually logic is my second language.  Klingon is my first language. 

The rest of the post is much appreciated though. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#147 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Need for what?  To compete for a cup, or to barely make the playoffs for two of years before being crushed in the playoffs and then retiring?

Seriously, is the goal to get back to Cup contention.  Because if so, Boyle's not going to help us.  He couldn't help the Sharks and they're MILES better than we are.  

But if the goal is to make the playoffs, yet not have a realistic chance of winning, then sure, Boyle will help.  All Boyle does is help the Wings stay as mediocre as they are, or marginally improve their averageness.  I'm sick of watching the Wings tread water.

It's my preference that we do  what it takes to be a Cup contender, or let the kids play. 

But you can't go from middling idiot to top of the class through signing any one player, unless your team is that close anyway (e.g the Hawks). For the Wings and most others, it has to come through a series of signings, trades and prospects that have stepped up the game to the next level. Boyle won't help us win the Cup, but he could be part of a piece that if everything comes together in the right way, will help us win. 

Boyle 3-5 years ago, yes. Boyle now, probably not.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#148 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

The thing with Boyle is this, the Sharks gave him a reduced role and he couldn't even flourish at that on a more staged teams than the Wings are. Even if he is just a stopgap sadly the guy doesn't have the legs to run the PP does he have a high hockey IQ and leadership qualities ? For sure but he is someone you are bring in to either get your team more leadership OR depth signing. The current Boyle does not improve our defensive problems.

As for him not signing with the Isles, Charles Wang and Gart Snow running the team is enough for most players - who can choose their own destination - to say no.

Edited by frankgrimes, 19 June 2014 - 11:04 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#149 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

With the Isles picking up Boyle, they are showing a need that they want to fill-puck mover on the BL. We have a couple of those young types that are expendable: Kindl and Almqvist. There is a move in there somewhere....... Kindl and Almqvist to the Isles for Matt Martin. I like it!