• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Joe Louis Arena to be Demolished

Rate this topic

Need downtown residents to have a vibrant downtown area. Good idea, hope it's done well.

Be cool if they keep the Joe Louis name on one of the buildings. For the sake of Joe AND Red Wing history.

I call dibs on the lockeroom floor for my rec room.

Edited by T.Low

Will be a sad sad day, wish I would have had the opportunity to visit the place.

Hopefully the new arena will have such a historical name too instead of some sponsored crap.

This. Never lived in Michigan, and while I visited a few times I never had a chance to see a game at the Joe. (Somehow I saw a Pistons game though, sigh.)

I suppose it isn't too late, I should make it a point to get back out there at least once.

Sounds like it would potentially be good for development of the city. Detroit has so much potential and I hope all this new construction leads to a nicer city.

Some great games were played at the Joe, that's for sure.

hope the schedulers find it in their hearts to make Tampa be the last team to play there so Steve won't find it a conflict of interest in showing up for the last ever game in HIS house. Better yet, why don't we just go ahead and promote (for lack of a better word) Holland and bring Steve home as our GM...

I was there as a 9 year old for the first ever game, sadly I can almost guarantee I will not make it for the last....oh what memories though!

I'm conflicted on this. I'm sure most of you guys that have been there over the years are as well.

On one hand, the place has turned into somewhat of an stinkhole. The Joe is embarrassing compared to many of the nice new arenas built within the last 10-15 years. It has this weird post-apocalyptic vibe to it.

Until you sit down in your seat, anywhere. Then its magic.

This new arena better help me forget the ol' Joe, thats all I have to say!

Guest Playmaker

Meh. The Joe is a dump. I disagree about there not being a bad seat in the house. I don't really associate the good memories of the Stanley Cup winning teams with the building itself. It's not like the Joe was Olympia or anything.

I hate how little respect they have in this country for stadiums and history. Maybe it's because the country hasn't been around for as long as others. A few years ago, Yankee Stadium was demolished. Boston Garden was demolished in the 90's. How can you get rid of those stadiums and all the history associated with that?

In Europe, the most famous soccer stadiums have been around over 50 years. Some stadiums in England have been around over 100 years. Yes, those stadiums undergo massive renovations and look nothing like they did 50 years ago, but at least they're still there. When people go to those games, they can say they're in the same stadium so and so used to play at.

I know things are done differently here, but I'm not a fan of tearing the JLA down.