• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
daniel1

Cleary NOT reporting to Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

As per Greg Krupa, KK: DANIEL CLEARY WILL NOT REPORT TO GRAND RAPIDS.

Holland said he did not know if cleary will now retire from active play, but that seems to be the case. Holland spoke to me yesterday about cleary's "passion for the game," & cleary's interest in management/player issues.

Confirmed - Helen St. James, Det.FP:

Daniel Cleary not reporting to minors, according to Red Wings general manager Ken Holland

Ken Holland said it is between club and Daniel Cleary whether he gets paid salary, even as he told Wings he's not reporting to minors.

--------------

Well if Cleary doesn't want the $1,000,000 I will glady suit up to take his place in GR lol. I imagine him being offered some made-up position as "Special Associate Assistant Coordinator and Consultant of Player Perspectives and Development" within the Wings organization. Didn't Chelios have a position like that for a while?

Seriously though, I'm quite happy he is refusing to report as this frees up a roster spot in GR for another young guy. They have enough leadership down there with Hoggan, Miele, and Paetsch. No need for Cleary in GR.

Edited by daniel1

If he retires then it doesn't count against the cap. Even if he just "refuses to report" and doesn't officially retire then the team would just suspend him and the salary would not count against the cap either. I would imagine he will retire though, and the team will "employ" him for same amount of salary in another capacity. Thereby honouring the "handshake agreement" that Cleary had with them in lieu of him signing the deal that Philly offered him a few years back.

If he retires then it doesn't count against the cap. Even if he just "refuses to report" and doesn't officially retire then the team would just suspend him and the salary would not count against the cap either. I would imagine he will retire though, and the team will "employ" him for same amount of salary in another capacity. Thereby honouring the "handshake agreement" that Cleary had with them in lieu of him signing the deal that Philly offered him a few years back.

Preeetty sure that's cap circumvention.

If it was someone more high profile than Dan cleary, I'm pretty sure it would have been at least looked into before hand, when he was given the handshake to give him one year deals to make up for supposedly turning down the flyers deal.

But its Dan cleary.

So I doubt the league will care.

Not if he retires as a player. He would then technically forefeit the remaining salary on his player contract. Then the Wings, or any other team, would be free to pay him whatever they like to be part of their administration within their organization. They could then negotiate a smaller or larger salary. It's only the players salaries that count against the cap, not the coaches, execs, GM's, etc. If you want to see a real clusterf***, then have a look at Pronger's situation. He's still getting paid by the Flyers as a player (LTIR), is somehow working for the NHL at the same time, and will likely continue to do this until his contract as a player runs out with the Flyers. I often wonder what the league is paying though, as their well aware of his huge salary that the Flyers, or their insurance company, is still paying him?

Okay, that seems to be the end of the Cleary saga. It was sort of a messy way to tie up his time here, but now we can get back to loving him for his contributions over the years. People have held a grudge against him in these recent years, but if you step back and think that it was because he had too much love for the organization that he couldn't think about playing anywhere else - that's pretty cool and rare in professional athletes. He'll probably take a Chelios-like position and help develop prospects. It also seems to me like he could develop into a coach and maybe take one of the GR assistant spots.

Anyway, Congrats on a great career Danny Boy! 938 Games, 387 points, consistently better in the playoffs (121 games, 52 points) 1st Newfoundland player to get his name on the cup in 2008. Give those knees a rest and enjoy watching the next generation of wings tonight!

Adding to the clusterf*** that is Pronger, not only is he still being paid as a player and as a NHL employee, he somehow managed to get elected into the HOF and he hasn't even retired yet! Now that is some back door, double secret, non-flag throwing back judge, anti-Lions s*** right there!

But, again, what did Cleary expect, did he actually believe he was going to make the team? That Holland was just saying he wasn't going to make it? Did he think, just because Blashill sounds like our former coach, that Blashill was actually him in disguise? I guess when Danny Boy was shaking all those hands three years ago that he forgot to shake one future very important hand....Blashill's. Sorry Danny, you're out! You had a great run, don't feel bad!

Of course, this could have all been in the plan to get him in an office position. Sign him for $950,000, when he doesn't make the team, even though you let him think he may have a chance by giving him some looks in pre-season, then give him a video coach position or maybe be that guy who catches the sweaty gloves in the hall way after the periods and puts them all on the dryer's...

Edited by LeftWinger

If Cleary really wanted to just keep playing hockey then he would report to GR. Hell, Chelios didn't want to stop playing and that's what he did when Atlanta sent him down.

And if I'm not mistaken, there is something in the CBA that ex-players have to be paid a similar wage to what other non-players would make if they take a job with the team. So he can't just take any made up job and get his $950,000.

If Cleary really wanted to just keep playing hockey then he would report to GR. Hell, Chelios didn't want to stop playing and that's what he did when Atlanta sent him down.

And if I'm not mistaken, there is something in the CBA that ex-players have to be paid a similar wage to what other non-players would make if they take a job with the team. So he can't just take any made up job and get his $950,000.

This is what I'm referring to when I'm talking about cap circumvention. Cleary would be a consultant of some kind making 950K? That's almost as much as Mike Yeo (MIN) and more than Dave Cameron (OTT) make. Like robo says, there is something in the CBA about paying a similar wage to former players and non-players, or not paying recently retired players higher salaries. I can't find it at the moment. Might look around before the game.

This is what I'm referring to when I'm talking about cap circumvention. Cleary would be a consultant of some kind making 950K? That's almost as much as Mike Yeo (MIN) and more than Dave Cameron (OTT) make. Like robo says, there is something in the CBA about paying a similar wage to former players and non-players, or not paying recently retired players higher salaries. I can't find it at the moment. Might look around before the game.

Please do, becaues I'm actually interested to see how they quantify it in the CBA. Like, what if Detroit pays its employees way more than the Panthers do? Is it league-wide or just by team averages? Does position and years under employement count for anything? I'm sincerely not trying to come off as an *******, I'm genuinely interested in this.

Not a fan of Cleary's decision here.

Holland gifted him 3 contracts and now its time for him to return the favor and he wont do it. Hope he leaves the org and never looks back

Quite honestly, I think KH and Cleary had this scenario planned out well in advance. I don't even think that KH wanted Cleary to report to GR. If Cleary didn't make the Wings then I think they both knew exactly what would happen but doing it this way allowed for the most time before they had to make decisions on their injured players.

Quite honestly, I think KH and Cleary had this scenario planned out well in advance. I don't even think that KH wanted Cleary to report to GR. If Cleary didn't make the Wings then I think they both knew exactly what would happen but doing it this way allowed for the most time before they had to make decisions on their injured players.

In that scenario I'd be okay with it but if Kenny actually wanted him there its a slap in the face to Holland

Please do, becaues I'm actually interested to see how they quantify it in the CBA. Like, what if Detroit pays its employees way more than the Panthers do? Is it league-wide or just by team averages? Does position and years under employement count for anything? I'm sincerely not trying to come off as an *******, I'm genuinely interested in this.

It's driving me nuts, because I'm positive I've read it before. One of the guys from WiiM mentioned it on Twitter earlier, too.

26.15 Examples of Circumvention. The following is a non-exhaustive list of activities that either constitute a Circumvention under this Article 26 or from which a Circumvention may be inferred:

(e) A Club and a Player, during the Player's active career, agree that upon the Player's
retirement, he will receive a sum of money for services to be provided to the Club after
retirement.

(f) A Club or Club Actor pays a Player or Player Actor for a "no-show" job, or for a
job in which the payment to the Player or Player Actor clearly exceeds the fair market value of
the services rendered.

I feel like these two touch on it, especially the "clearly exceeds the fair market value of the services rendered" portion. Scouts (from what I've seen/heard) make less than six figures. I'm sure some make more than others, but not 950K.