• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NerveDamage

Should the Red Wings Trade for Byfuglien?

Rate this topic

Byfuglien to the Red Wings  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So there's a lot of talk about Byfuglien and if the Wings should make a move and trade for him.

http://www.fanly.me/c/DXnE3PcIj0

And a lot more has been said in different threads, so, I wanted to take the chance and make a poll to see what your thoughts are and the overall feel about said trade

Edited by NerveDamage

So there's a lot of talk about Byfuglien and if the Wings should make a move and trade for him.

http://www.fanly.me/c/DXnE3PcIj0

And a lot more has been said in different threads, so, I wanted to take the chance and make a poll to see what your thoughts are and the overall feel about said trade

I wouldn't mind him, though isnt he a ufa after this season?

Short answer no, long answer of course no

Why not? Dude would be an instant fan favorite in Detroit, providing size and toughness on the backend that we've been missing since forever.

Give them Nyquist straight up. If they want a defensmen, too, throw in Smith, or convince them that Ericsson is worth a damn.

Why not? Dude would be an instant fan favorite in Detroit, providing size and toughness on the backend that we've been missing since forever.

Give them Nyquist straight up. If they want a defensmen, too, throw in Smith, or convince them that Ericsson is worth a damn.

He'd probably be a rental

Helm is from that area and actually stays there in the summer. I think he's the only person in the world who likes Winnipeg. A UFA after this season - throw him into the mix, too.

He'd probably be a rental

Rentals can be re-signed.

Helm is from that area and actually stays there in the summer. I think he's the only person in the world who likes Winnipeg. A UFA after this season - throw him into the mix, too.

Rentals can be re-signed.

Giving up everything you suggested in a year that we are not looking like a cup winning team for a rental is a horrible hockey move.

he is fat, not exactly in the best shape and will command a salary north of 7 million over 7 years ...which given his dedication to the game will look like an albatross contract in 2 years. Just look at the decline of players that don't take fitness and nutrition seriously and then think about an almost 280 guy, who will be 31 soon.

I'm a huge fan of Goose but if the Wings trade him it better not be for a rental because I don't think there is anyone other than Mantha who could replace his production playing for the marines right now

There's no denying that Buff is a big boy, but when has it actually affected his ability to play?

There is a difference between being big/huge and fat. i.e. Chara is the biggest boy in the NHL but that guy is just lean and all muscle. It doesn't even matter what I think I'm sure some crazy team will give Buff what he wants and regret it, because once the decline will set in it won't be pretty and the guy would be unmovable with such a huge contract.

..the guy would be unmovable...

Jeez. Quit with the weight shaming already. :lol:

Seriously. I'd like to know where his teammates/coaches/trainers have complained about his **IN SEASON** conditioning...

Not some blowhard media guy, speculating blogger or interweb haterz talking outta their ass.

...and for the record, I think we should trade for Buff. If he can't be had at the deadline, go hard for him in free agency.

Jeez. Quit with the weight shaming already. :lol:

Seriously. I'd like to know where his teammates/coaches/trainers have complained about his **IN SEASON** conditioning...

Not some blowhard media guy, speculating blogger or interweb haterz talking outta their ass.

...and for the record, I think we should trade for Buff. If he can't be had at the deadline, go hard for him in free agency.

Giving Goose for any rental would be a bad idea, period.

The training thing is simple logic: the older you get the harder you need to train to stay in shape, if you don't do it you'll fall behind. I'll laugh hard at whichever team signs him for anything more than 3 years.

What worries me the most about these type of trades is the fact that they don't really wrk for us. Legwand, Weiss, Zidlicky, Cole(I know, but still..) It's not like when we got Hull, I now those were different times and that the salary cap has changed everything. But I wonder if they were just bad decisions.

What worries me the most about these type of trades is the fact that they don't really wrk for us. Legwand, Weiss, Zidlicky, Cole(I know, but still..) It's not like when we got Hull, I now those were different times and that the salary cap has changed everything. But I wonder if they were just bad decisions.

Weiss had a serious 6 months long injury so I don't know what Holland thought this would be a good idea

Zidlicky worked out ok I think

It's the same every year people are getting all hyped up about some potential available names and then they either get re-signed or traded for ridiculous prices. I'm sure the Jets will ask for a first + prospect + maybe a 2nd for Ladd and Buff - which is way too much for a pure ~ 2 months rental.

No. I suggested a trade for Byfuglien before the last season ended here on the forums. Then, it'd be viable. Now, he's too expensive and won't have any time to get accustomed to the system. It's too late. That goes for any bigtime D-man in my opinion. Better wait til summer for it.

Giving Goose for any rental would be a bad idea, period.

The training thing is simple logic: the older you get the harder you need to train to stay in shape, if you don't do it you'll fall behind. I'll laugh hard at whichever team signs him for anything more than 3 years.

Did I ever suggest giving up Goose for a rental?

Again. Does Byfuglien have a problem for getting in shape for the season? That is my question.

There is no doubt that Buff enjoys himself in the offseason, but has it affected his ability to get in game shape?

(...and by that I mean, the shape that he gets into to be an effective and intimidating presence both in the offensive and defensive zones.)

Do you think that both he and the teams that are looking to sign him don't know that he's 30 years old and that his effectiveness at 260lbs+ in the upcoming years may be different than at ages 26-30?

Also, a first, plus prospect, plus second rounder is not overpayment for Byfuglien and Ladd.

Unless you're saying a first, prospect, and 2nd rounder for each... it's hard to tell what you're suggesting.

Did I ever suggest giving up Goose for a rental?

Again. Does Byfuglien have a problem for getting in shape for the season? That is my question.

There is no doubt that Buff enjoys himself in the offseason, but has it affected his ability to get in game shape?

(...and by that I mean, the shape that he gets into to be an effective and intimidating presence both in the offensive and defensive zones.)

Do you think that both he and the teams that are looking to sign him don't know that he's 30 years old and that his effectiveness at 260lbs+ in the upcoming years may be different than at ages 26-30?

Also, a first, plus prospect, plus second rounder is not overpayment for Byfuglien and Ladd.

Unless you're saying a first, prospect, and 2nd rounder for each... it's hard to tell what you're suggesting.

This will be the asking price for each one...so first, prospect, 2 for Buff and if people want Ladd too the same thing. Which even for both would be ridiculous because they are rentals.

Do I think GMS are aware of it? For sure do I think they'll still give him a monster contract? Of course.

This will be the asking price for each one...so first, prospect, 2 for Buff and if people want Ladd too the same thing. Which even for both would be ridiculous because they are rentals.

Do I think GMS are aware of it? For sure do I think they'll still give him a monster contract? Of course.

There's no way the Jets are getting a first, prospect and a 2nd round pick for either of those guys. That might be the asking price, but there's no way anyone is giving up close to that for either.

...so, Byfuglien won't be held accountable for his conditioning then?

He'll just be a fat tub rolling in fat stacks sitting his fat butt on the bench?

Is that your expectation?

Edited by e_prime