• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BobL

Stamkos to... Tampa

Rate this topic

Weiss says hello. Clarkson says hello. Semin says hello. Pouliot says hello. Orpik says hello. Clowe says hello.

And those are just off the top of my head. Seriously, there have been 2-3 terrible signings a year of players who had series red flags, just because teams were desperate to fill a position. Staal's agent isn't stupid and with Stamoks gone it's a sellers market.

Clarkson had career highs before he signed a massive contract. And as far as Clowe goes, he had 26 points in 43 games in the shortened season then got a concussion early in the next season which he couldn't come back from.

Clarkson had career highs before he signed a massive contract. And as far as Clowe goes, he had 26 points in 43 games in the shortened season then got a concussion early in the next season which he couldn't come back from.

As I said, they both had major red flags. One season of good production shouldn't lead to a long term high dollar contract. And with new league rules on concussion protocol, signing anyone coming off of a head injury isn't a smart idea. Especially one that declined right before they went FA.

holland needs a new job. hes been a joke since he couldnt close the suter parise deal.

What's with Holland and these washed up has beens?

what has he done since our last cup?

stephan weiss...bust

mike modano..bust

daniel N...bust

david legwand..bust

erik cole...bust

zidlicky...bust

bard richards...bust

keeping cleary...bust

covo...bust

sammy 2nd time...bust

yes lets go get a washed up eric staal now pay him 6 mil

As mush as I didn't care for the signing, saying Alfredsson was a bust isn't fair. Alfredsson was very good for the wings while he was here.

Edited by xault

Pierre Lebrun just tweeted: The Red Wings by the way, would have loved to pitch Newport/Stamkos, but never got the chance this week.

Should probably be a wake up call, we were never really in it.

Doesn't mean we were never in it. For all we know stammer didn't need to get pitched for Detroit and Holland was close on negotiations with his agent and they were really close to an agreement

holland needs a new job. hes been a joke since he couldnt close the suter parise deal.

what has he done since our last cup?

stephan weiss...bust

mike modano..bust

daniel alfredsson...bust

david legwand..bust

erik cole...bust

zidlicky...bust

bard richards...bust

keeping cleary...bust

covo...bust

sammy 2nd time...bust

yes lets go get a washed up eric staal now pay him 6 mil

You really seemed to like most of these signings when they happened. Most of us did. Hindsight makes things much clearer though, especially in the case of freak injuries like in the case of Weiss, Modano, and Cole. Frankly, the Wings have had some awful luck with bringing guys in.

Like I said. Short term deal. If you haven't noticed, we have no top 6 center.

agree we CANNOT expect Z or Larkin to carry this team if we can get Staal for a year or two until Larkin is ready to upgrade to the 1st line im ok with it

agree we CANNOT expect Z or Larkin to carry this team if we can get Staal for a year or two until Larkin is ready to upgrade to the 1st line im ok with it

...But Staal is a worse player than Z and Larkin so why waste money a worse player when you have better ones? FA signings should be to make the team better not worse.

Edited by kickazz

...But Staal is a worse player than Z and Larkin so why waste money a worse player when you have better ones? FA signings should be to make the team better not worse.

totally agree but putting pressure on a kid or a older broken down Z isnt the answer either everybody was stamkos or bust but now no one wants to hear a short term signing of one Staal Neilson or Backes because they dont think they are worth it Staal is older but i dont thin k his THAT bad yet not to give him a prove- to me- contract

Doesn't mean we were never in it. For all we know stammer didn't need to get pitched for Detroit and Holland was close on negotiations with his agent and they were really close to an agreement

Holland talked to his agent at the draft, that was it. Ansar Khan just posted an article and this was the opening line: The Detroit Red Wings never got the opportunity this week to speak with their main target in free agency – Steven Stamkos.

The Wings went "all in" on a guy they didn't even get a chance to sell themselves to, that's a bad look. Not quite as bad as 2012 when we sold ourselves to Ryan Suter, and he say no thank you. I wanted to be positive and have an open mind this year, but it sure is shaping up to be more of the same stuff we've seen since the last impact signing we made in the 2008 offseason.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Holland talked to his agent at the draft, that was it. Ansar Khan just posted an article and this was the opening line: The Detroit Red Wings never got the opportunity this week to speak with their main target in free agency – Steven Stamkos.

The Wings went "all in" on a guy they didn't even get a chance to sell themselves to, that's a bad look. Not quite as bad as 2012 when we sold ourselves to Ryan Suter, and he say no thank you. I wanted to be positive and have an open mind this year, but it sure is shaping up to be more of the same stuff we've seen since the last impact signing we made in the 2008 offseason.

i keep wondering if it WASNT babcock that Fa wanted no part of and its us our franchise maybe they see we just have nothing to look forward to anymore and dont like the direction we are going with all are terrible contracts maybe other FA dont like the loyalty to guys who dont deserve it and truly believe this is a sinking ship am i crazy?

i keep wondering if it WASNT babcock that Fa wanted no part of and its us our franchise maybe they see we just have nothing to look forward to anymore and dont like the direction we are going with all are terrible contracts maybe other FA dont like the loyalty to guys who dont deserve it and truly believe this is a sinking ship am i crazy?

I don't think you're crazy. Well, maybe a little bit. Maybe alot of these top free agents also look at this team and it's roster and think how quickly they may have been replaceable with all the young talent in the system, that eventually has to move up, even though it's been our thing to leave them down there. They can only stay down for so long, so then... as the older player, how much time are they really going to give you?

Secondly, I think people should consider this... The Wings to a great job of marketing to their fans. The City of Detroit in general, is marketed well to sports fans. However, outside of our region, this region is viewed as a dump. It's Hockeytown to us, and the downtown core in Detroit has alot of positive things going on that we all know about because we're from here, but to the rest of the US, and Canada... mention Detroit to them, and they think its a complete disaster, and want nothing to do with it. Maybe that has something to do with it too. Sure, there's great suburbs outside of Detroit where most of the Wings players likely reside, but when the perception is negative, that can be hard to overcome. Especially compared to some of these hockey cities.

You really seemed to like most of these signings when they happened. Most of us did. Hindsight makes things much clearer though, especially in the case of freak injuries like in the case of Weiss, Modano, and Cole. Frankly, the Wings have had some awful luck with bringing guys in.

It's unfair to throw Weiss, Modano and Cole into things. Weiss had a better track record than Filppula (who he replaced). Injuries had him off to a bad start, and after that I don't know what happened. Not to mention it wasn't a terrible contract. Cole was actually a great signing and while I already barely remember him being on the team because his tenure was so short, he had an immediate impact before a freak injury ended his career.

Modano, same thing. He did well until his wrist got slashed open. We got him to be a third line center and that's what he did.

Bringing Bertuzzi back was also a good move. Sure, he was slow but he still contributed and gave us an offensive boost and didn't overstay his welcome to the degree others did (coughClearycough). Colaiacovo was hardly a bust. He did very well when he wasn't injured. We knew he was made of glass coming in. He didn't have an outrageous contract and we didn't renew it after more injuries. Again, I'd hardly say he was a bust because we all (including Holland) knew the risk and didn't overpay for him or rely on him. Alfie was a great second line offensive spark for us, Richards, too, helped a lot. Zidlicky, against all odds, was good for us during the regular season.

There were definitely bad signings, though.

I don't think you're crazy. Well, maybe a little bit. Maybe alot of these top free agents also look at this team and it's roster and think how quickly they may have been replaceable with all the young talent in the system, that eventually has to move up, even though it's been our thing to leave them down there. They can only stay down for so long, so then... as the older player, how much time are they really going to give you?

Secondly, I think people should consider this... The Wings to a great job of marketing to their fans. The City of Detroit in general, is marketed well to sports fans. However, outside of our region, this region is viewed as a dump. It's Hockeytown to us, and the downtown core in Detroit has alot of positive things going on that we all know about because we're from here, but to the rest of the US, and Canada... mention Detroit to them, and they think its a complete disaster, and want nothing to do with it. Maybe that has something to do with it too. Sure, there's great suburbs outside of Detroit where most of the Wings players likely reside, but when the perception is negative, that can be hard to overcome. Especially compared to some of these hockey cities.

I really don't think that perception has much to do with a pro athlete's decision. Weather, yes. But every dump of a city has nice clubs and suburbs. A rich athlete can have fun anywhere.

The problem, to me, is what exactly are we going for?

We needed Stamkos AND a top 2 defenseman to be a legit team and we probably won't get either now. Everybody thinks the Datsyuk trade was a coo, as it was, but only if we sign anyone worthwhile.

The player I thought might drop and the type player we needed was Chychrun. Having a potential top-2 guy, a two way force on D, was too good to be true at 16. When I refreshed my page and seen that Pheonix took him, I said right there, unless we get Stamkos, this could end up really bad. Then we had to go and pick a Blake Wheeler/Mark Jankowski admitted 5 year project kid, when we needed someone now to have any hope of keeping ourselves on an upward plane.

Now, after we gambled and lost, were set up to have more of the same. A friend and I were talking earlier and wondered if we should start taking bets now on how many of the Holland-isms we will have to deal with this summer. It started when he conceded that we wouldn't be able to trade Howard...and it just seems like it's going to continue with "we reached out to this guy, we liked that guy...but in the end, prices were high and we like our team".

Yes I exaggerated. What I'm trying to say is he brings in a lot of players that are has Beens. At the end of their career and most of us expect them to be their former selves in their prime. And with all these old players you sign no wonder their prone to injuries. Also these players are just rentals more or less. He's not looking at future he's looking for one season. I think he need to take bigger risk bring in younger players that can grow chemistry as a team.

What I'm wondering is why management wasn't all over this? Did they think he would be waiting until July 1 and thought they had "time" to set up a good presentation?

Or was it that Stamkos really didn't show interest in meeting with us this week and ended up staying with Tampa.

I'm just trying to figure this out in my head. How the hell do you miss an opportunity to lure a guy in. Time is money. Time is Stamkos.

But maybe they were trying to get a meeting with him ASAP but didn't have any luck.

Edited by kickazz

What I'm wondering is why management wasn't all over this? Did they think he would be waiting until July 1 and thought they had "time" to set up a good presentation?

Or was it that Stamkos really didn't show interest in meeting with us this week and ended up staying with Tampa.

I'm just trying to figure this out in my head. How the hell do you miss an opportunity to lure a guy in. Time is money. Time is Stamkos.

But maybe they were trying to get a meeting with him ASAP but didn't have any luck.

I'm confused by it as well. It was confirmed he met with the Leafs brass on Monday, why wasn't Kenny and co. at Newport Sports yesterday? Perhaps we'll never know. But it does confuse me that we were "all in" but never had a face to face.

Didn't Holland make a quote not so long ago that free agency was not the way to go anymore in this cap era. Teams trade as was evident today, and they don't hold any player like glue considering Subban was just dealt. Norris trophy winner's can be traded but when it comes to Detroit it seems like everyone is untouchable with Holland, and when he finally does have a redwing on the trade block their value has decreased, most often greatly. How many times do I have to preach Duchene yet I hear nothing of trade rumours involving a still high potential center. Would we have to overpay,maybe but I think the players like nyquist, tatar, etc are expandable, and I truly don't think the price is a Larkin either. I know this isn't chel 16 but his quote about not falling on free agency for help and then reversing it with "we gonna spend money" isn't all that comforting.

I'm sure Kenny spent all his will to try and have a conversation with Stamkos and then try to sway him to the red and white. I truly believe though for Steve, it was a Tampa or Toronto scenerio all along.

Didn't Holland make a quote not so long ago that free agency was not the way to go anymore in this cap era. Teams trade as was evident today, and they don't hold any player like glue considering Subban was just dealt. Norris trophy winner's can be traded but when it comes to Detroit it seems like everyone is untouchable with Holland, and when he finally does have a redwing on the trade block their value has decreased, most often greatly. How many times do I have to preach Duchene yet I hear nothing of trade rumours involving a still high potential center. Would we have to overpay,maybe but I think the players like nyquist, tatar, etc are expandable, and I truly don't think the price is a Larkin either. I know this isn't chel 16 but his quote about not falling on free agency for help and then reversing it with "we gonna spend money" isn't all that comforting.

I'm sure Kenny spent all his will to try and have a conversation with Stamkos and then try to sway him to the red and white. I truly believe though for Steve, it was a Tampa or Toronto scenerio all along.

To be fair we don't have a spare Shea Weber lying around as a trade chip.