• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joesuffP

Jeff Blashill

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Echolalia said:

The roster became significantly less productive when Blashill took over.  I stated it before but I think this roster if coached right would have a better chance of going deeper in the playoffs than the team that took Tampa Bay to seven games in Babcock's last season here.  Since then we've added long sought after R handed QB in Mike Green, we added wunderkids Larkin, Mantha, and AA, Tatar and Nyquist and Sheahan should be in the prime of their careers right now, we have Vanek who's way more productive than most people were expecting, Zetterberg has lost a step, but not by all that much compared to two years ago (on pace to score within 11 points of his totals from that year).  We don't have Weiss taking up dead weight.  The biggest minus is that we don't have Datsyuk, but he's been increasingly injured in later years and Franz Nielson is just about sufficient alone to replace his point total for a season.  On paper this team has a lot of talent on it.  Certainly enough to get into the playoffs.

I'm not arguing that Blashill has been anything but subpar, but there have been other significant minuses since Babcock. One huge one, I think, is the decline/injuries to Kronwall. Also, Quincey was the 3rd or 4th best Dman on the roster. We've had as much as 3 rookie Dmen regularly on the roster this year. Many of them had looked great at times, but it has provided a less than sturdy group and forced DK and E to play too big a role.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

You guys really think that if you hire (insert coach of your choice) that this roster is a strong playoff contender...Or a playoff contender at all?  I worry about your talent evaluation skills in that case. This team has no first line and no top D pairing! 

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I'm not arguing that Blashill has been anything but subpar, but there have been other significant minuses since Babcock. One huge one, I think, is the decline/injuries to Kronwall. Also, Quincey was the 3rd or 4th best Dman on the roster. We've had as much as 3 rookie Dmen regularly on the roster this year. Many of them had looked great at times, but it has provided a less than sturdy group and forced DK and E to play too big a role.

I don't disagree that this roster needs work also.  We are lacking a franchise defensman, we are lacking a franchise forward (or two), and if people want to move Howard, we are also lacking a franchise goalie.  I would pursue these pieces regardless of the coaching situation, but my point (which I surmise you agree with) is that the talent we do have isn't playing up to their abilities, and if they were we would be in the thick of the playoff race.  Hell, if the Wings had an average powerplay and nothing else changed we'd be in the thick of the playoff race.

2 hours ago, greenrebellion said:

You guys really think that if you hire (insert coach of your choice) that this roster is a strong playoff contender...Or a playoff contender at all?  I worry about your talent evaluation skills in that case. This team has no first line and no top D pairing! 

Read Echolalia's post below, I couldn't counter this post any better then what he wrote. This team has the talent to make the playoffs (not win the cup), but easily to make the playoffs. IMO most who think otherwise are not evaluating the team without bias and emotion.

5 hours ago, Echolalia said:

The roster became significantly less productive when Blashill took over.  I stated it before but I think this roster if coached right would have a better chance of going deeper in the playoffs than the team that took Tampa Bay to seven games in Babcock's last season here.  Since then we've added long sought after R handed QB in Mike Green, we added wunderkids Larkin, Mantha, and AA, Tatar and Nyquist and Sheahan should be in the prime of their careers right now, we have Vanek who's way more productive than most people were expecting, Zetterberg has lost a step, but not by all that much compared to two years ago (on pace to score within 11 points of his totals from that year).  We don't have Weiss taking up dead weight.  The biggest minus is that we don't have Datsyuk, but he's been increasingly injured in later years and Franz Nielson is just about sufficient alone to replace his point total for a season.  On paper this team has a lot of talent on it.  Certainly enough to get into the playoffs.

Edited by kliq

Going from the best coach in history (Babcock) to Blashill has made it tough for people to view Blashill objectively. Let's say that Blashill is average or a decent coach...There is still going to be a performance decline coming from Babcock. 

You can say it, but it's not true.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind Blashill being around for the next few seasons to help develop the youth (assuming we go full on rebuild)...and then we can see where we are at and determine if Blashill is the right guy or not as our roster approaches a more competitive position.

I mean he was good at developing players in Grand Rapids, do we agree on that at a minimum?

Seeing as we aren't making the playoffs this year (or likely for the next 2 or 3 seasons at a minimum), why not keep giving Blashill a chance and letting him work with an increasingly younger roster?

I wouldn't mind Blashill being around for the next few seasons to help develop the youth (assuming we go full on rebuild)...and then we can see where we are at and determine if Blashill is the right guy or not as our roster approaches a more competitive position.
I mean he was good at developing players in Grand Rapids, do we agree on that at a minimum?
Seeing as we aren't making the playoffs this year (or likely for the next 2 or 3 seasons at a minimum), why not keep giving Blashill a chance and letting him work with an increasingly younger roster?

Yes because he's done a cracker Jack job so far

20 hours ago, greenrebellion said:

I don't like to assign blame, but really, if I'm a young guy, I might be questioning whether or not I wanted to play for this coach. A few people on here have pointed out that this team looks de-motivated at times, and I agree, and I have to think that's got to have something to do with blashill right? If you want to play and win for your coach, you're going to play harder yea? 

So it goes with our young guys who actually have talent, like Mantha and AA, and to an extent Sproul, can you imagine how frustrated they must have been under his tenure? look at AA last year, late in the season he was making a huge impact, only to basically get 5 minutes a game and watch ECHL worthy Andersson get a call up and play in front of him?? 

Or even at times this season where Blashill has publicly called him out for his bad points, or limited his ice time after playing well. Look at Mantha, who I think we can all agree has been playing excellent in December and early January, then he has what, one bad game, and gets his ice time slashed from 20 to 15 minutes for the next 4 games? 

Ofc I'm not the coach, but I have to wonder also at this point what he's got against Sproul. The guy came in and played well I thought. 

This team just needs to have a fire sale and get rid of Blashill.  Let one of the assistants take over until next season because I'm sure there will be some big name coaches available this summer.  The streak is most likely over at this point so just embrace it and do what you can to get a high draft pick and free up some space for FAs or a trade.

How many of you said "Babcocks voice is stale. Time to move on. This Blashill guy looks shiny new and exciting? I welcome a change"

Seemed like it was 90% of wings fans at the time.

Glad you all finally realized that Babs was and is the most dominant coach in the league. Just remember ownership allowed a rival hockey club to steal our coach... cause trashill 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

How many of you said "Babcocks voice is stale. Time to move on. This Blashill guy looks shiny new and exciting? I welcome a change"

Glad you all finally realized that Babs was and is the most dominant coach in the league. Just remember ownership allowed a rival hockey club to steal our coach... cause trashill 

I never thought that was a viable argument  for replacing Babcock with Blashill, considering most of the younger guys coming up had little to no experience with Babcock's message and way of doing things, but had spent a couple years already with Blashill in the AHL.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I did.  Don't mind admitting that Blashill wasn't the answer, and that I was wrong about that.  But I don't think Babs was right for the team any longer either.  All of the s*** people get pissed at Blashill for (constant line juggling, over reliance on mediocre veterans, conservative systems, etc.) Babcock did too.  He just got more out of the players while doing it.  The problem wasn't getting rid of Babcock, the problem (admittedly in hindsight) was that they got a less good version of Babcock to replace him with.  Both guys are completely mismatched for the personnel this team has. 

Also, the notion that Babcock is the "most dominant coach in the league" is absurd.  Joel Quenneville is second all time in wins and has 3 Stanley Cups.  When it comes to winning NHL hockey games, and Championships, no active coach is as successful as Quenneville.  Period.

Edited by kipwinger

It was time for Babcock to move on, but I questioned whether Blashill was enough of a new voice and if he had the chops to make it in the NHL. I was ok giving him a chance but it's clearly not working.

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I did.  Don't mind admitting that Blashill wasn't the answer, and that I was wrong about that.  But I don't think Babs was right for the team any longer either.  All of the s*** people get pissed at Blashill for (constant line juggling, over reliance on mediocre veterans, conservative systems, etc.) Babcock did too.  He just got more out of the players while doing it.  The problem wasn't getting rid of Babcock, the problem (admittedly in hindsight) was that they got a less good version of Babcock to replace him with.  Both guys are completely mismatched for the personnel this team has. 

Also, the notion that Babcock is the "most dominant coach in the league" is absurd.  Joel Quenneville is second all time in wins and has 3 Stanley Cups.  When it comes to winning NHL hockey games, and Championships, no active coach is as successful as Quenneville.  Period.

Q is a good coach no doubt. Didnt he get fired by St. Louis though before he took over the dynasty caliber Hawks? Babs has had much more challenging rosters to coach, and hes done well with all of them relative to what he has to work with. I mean there was a literal bidding war for his services.

Comparing coaches is hard to do, but i am and always will be a babcock slappy.

The hiring of Blashill should be the best thing that ever happened for the tank fans out there. Babs probably would have kept this team competitive still.