• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2017 Draft

Rate this topic

Am I remembering correctly that the draft lottery for teams that miss the playoffs happens before round #1?  It seems to me that's how I remember it from last season but I wasn't playing close attention since we weren't in line for a top pick.

25 minutes ago, mackel said:

Am I remembering correctly that the draft lottery for teams that miss the playoffs happens before round #1?  It seems to me that's how I remember it from last season but I wasn't playing close attention since we weren't in line for a top pick.

Last year's lottery was Apr. 30th. Early in the 2nd round. Don't remember if that's normal or not.

I'm going on record............. Juuso Valimaki would be the best first round pick. He's a great 2 way d-man. 6'2" good skater nice shot and does not get rattled.

Liljegren is a good player. But, I'm just not sold on him.

10 hours ago, Fedorovfan said:

I'm going on record............. Juuso Valimaki would be the best first round pick. He's a great 2 way d-man. 6'2" good skater nice shot and does not get rattled.

I'm confused. Do you think Valimaki is going to be the best player in the draft? Surely you can't be suggesting that. I'd be okay with that pick if we end up outside of the top 10, but even then there are a handful of players (Foote, Tippett) I'd pick before Valimaki. I agree we need defense, but this year isn't the year for defense in the first round. We should pile up on defensemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and possibly explore trading options to acquire that top pair defenseman.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm confused. Do you think Valimaki is going to be the best player in the draft? Surely you can't be suggesting that. I'd be okay with that pick if we end up outside of the top 10, but even then there are a handful of players (Foote, Tippett) I'd pick before Valimaki. I agree we need defense, but this year isn't the year for defense in the first round. We should pile up on defensemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and possibly explore trading options to acquire that top pair defenseman.

I agree it's not the best year for defenseman in the 1st round but I think it depends where you draft. If we are top 5 I'm staying away from a D-man but if we are somewhere 6-10 I think Liljegren is great value there. If I'm 15+ then Makar would be great value. But def don't reach for a defenseman in the first round.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

After yesterday, we are 26th in the league. This gives us a 23.5% chance to win a top 3 pick in the lottery, 7.6% to win #1. Worst case scenario is we pick at #9. Since New Jersey has 6 points less than us at the moment, 26th overall is the lowest spot we can get. We just have to defend this spot with 2 more losses.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Fedorovfan said:

No...just no.

Edited by LeftWinger

If we draft 9th and we miss out on the top guys and if Tippet is still there you must take him. He fills a need today. Then if I can't acquire  #1 D, then I trade up to get Hague. I still like trading our 1st to someone for 2 later 1sts. Tippet and Hague make this team instantly better now and in the future. We must draft these two guys. Especially if we miss out on Vilardi.

If we draft 9th and we miss out on the top guys and if Tippet is still there you must take him. He fills a need today. Then if I can't acquire  #1 D, then I trade up to get Hague. I still like trading our 1st to someone for 2 later 1sts. Tippet and Hague make this team instantly better now and in the future. We must draft these two guys. Especially if we miss out on Vilardi.

Not if he's not a top 10 prospect. Reaching for a guy is a bad idea

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I can pretty much guarantee neither Tippett nor Hague would make next season's team. They're simply not NHL-ready.

Besides, we shouldn't be drafting for need. At least, not in the first round.

Here's how I'm looking at it.

With this draft class, I'm not convinced there's much of a difference between picking 5th or 6th overall and picking 9th or 10th overall. Patrick, Hischier, Liljegren, Vilardi are likely your top four (not necessarily in that order), and then there's little separation between all the realistic candidates for the next half-dozen slots. So...we'll have a decent(ish) shot at picking in the top three, and even if we pick in the 6-10 range, we'll still be getting a really good player. If we're picking 10th, we're getting someone who probably could've just as easily been picked 6th. Mittelstadt, Rasmussen, Tippett, Tolvanen, Makar, Glass...at least one of those should be available to us (assuming we don't get a lottery pick). Given what the Wings are used to choosing from when it comes to making first-round selections, and given the lack of gamechanging talent in this draft class, I'd be perfectly happy with any of those players.

37 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Here's how I'm looking at it.

With this draft class, I'm not convinced there's much of a difference between picking 5th or 6th overall and picking 9th or 10th overall. Patrick, Hischier, Liljegren, Vilardi are likely your top four (not necessarily in that order), and then there's little separation between all the realistic candidates for the next half-dozen slots. So...we'll have a decent(ish) shot at picking in the top three, and even if we pick in the 6-10 range, we'll still be getting a really good player. If we're picking 10th, we're getting someone who probably could've just as easily been picked 6th. Mittelstadt, Rasmussen, Tippett, Tolvanen, Makar, Glass...at least one of those should be available to us (assuming we don't get a lottery pick). Given what the Wings are used to choosing from when it comes to making first-round selections, and given the lack of gamechanging talent in this draft class, I'd be perfectly happy with any of those players.

No. We will trade down.

Why all this talk about drafting 6-10? You mean if Holland decides to trade our top 3 pick for a pick in the 6-10 range plus a late 1st / early 2nd? I'd prefer keep our top 3 pick and take one of Patrick or Vilardi... Can't wait to win that draft lottery!

8 minutes ago, kickazz said:

No. We will trade down.

Certainly possible.

Honestly, I'd be ok with Suzuki or Yamamoto being our first pick, so it's going to be pretty hard for the Wings to disappoint me with whatever they end up doing in the first round. (Note to Kenny: that is not to be taken as a challenge.)

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why all this talk about drafting 6-10? You mean if Holland decides to trade our top 3 pick for a pick in the 6-10 range plus a late 1st / early 2nd? I'd prefer keep our top 3 pick and take one of Patrick or Vilardi... Can't wait to win that draft lottery!

Just a small town girl...

Edited by Dabura

15 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Certainly possible.

Honestly, I'd be ok with Suzuki or Yamamoto being our first pick, so it's going to be pretty hard for the Wings to disappoint me with whatever they end up doing in the first round. (Note to Kenny: that is not to be taken as a challenge.)

Just a small town girl...

What's the only thing worse than Journey?