• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Columbus Blue Jackets

Rate this topic

When Columbus beat us a few weeks ago some posters made comments like "its a shame to lose to a team like Columbus" etc. etc. etc. 

As we sit here on December 27th, 2016 Columbus is 23-5-4 with 50 points putting them #1 in the NHL.

There is goal differential is +45, also #1 in the NHL.

Goals For Per Game - #2 in the NHL

Goals Against Per Game - #2 in the NHL

PP% - #1 in the NHL

PK% - #12 in the NHL

So my question is, are the Blue Jackets for real, and are they legit Cup Contenders? Or, are they a team that we should be embarrassed to lose to?

Greatest teams in NHL history: 

1. 1977 Canadiens

2. 1984 Oilers

3. 2017 Blue Jackets

In all seriousness, I've only heard of a handful of those players.  I can't imagine this team sustaining this run in what looks to be a tough Conference come playoff time.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

This might just end up being a fluke year for them. 

Atkinson is having a career year. Foligno is an all star player and has been nearly a PPG player in the past. Not sure if I'd say he's elite but he has it in him. Bobrovsky is a former Vezina player, playing like one again this year. 

This could purely be a case of complete team effort and nobody having to carry each other. 9/10 times your elite players can carry you, but if you play as a complete squad and are cerebral on ice it can go a long way. 

Maybe it's Tortorella here. 

Edited by kickazz

8 minutes ago, kickazz said:

This might just end up being a fluke year for them. 

Atkinson is having a career year. Foligno is an all star player and has been nearly a PPG player in the past. Not sure if I'd say he's elite but he has it in him. Bobrovsky is a former Vezina player, playing like one again this year. 

This could purely be a case of complete team effort and nobody having to carry each other. 9/10 times your elite players can carry you, but if you play as a complete squad and are cerebral on ice it can go a long way. 

Maybe it's Tortorella here. 

Werenski is having one hell of a year as well. I was lucky enough to pick him up for nothing on my fantasy team :blind:

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

For those around the league who wish to bash Torts.....The guy does have a Stanley Cup on his resume. 

I think hes great behind the bench and in front of the media. And i think its good for the league too. Hes pretty much the only coach that i turn the volume up for. Real talk, no BS. Treats his players the same and hes got that squad of young ones firing on all cylinders. 

Been watching them with an eye opened since their great record a quarter into the season. My opinion is that they are for real.

They play very hard, probably because of Tortorella driving things behind. Interestingly they don't seem to drop off in 2nd or 3rd period they still fore-check as hard with the main goal of stealing the puck in the mid-zone and it is working.

Looking forward to see/read someone analyzing them right about the trade deadline, if their standing still hold up by then there is no doubt they are a big time contender.

On top of that they lack a clear superstar and fire a cannon when scoring. And got a blue collar feel. Works for me.

16 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

yeah, good thing happened there. i'd have torts and the rest of tampons with Stanley Cup any day of the week then POS Iginla!

2 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

They are a perfect example that if your team has the right coach and players, not necessarily all all-stars, they can succeed. Having a defense that is actually competent and not all plugs helps.

Fixed

21 minutes ago, kliq said:

Out of curiosity, why is Iginla a POS?

He was a POS whenever he played against the Red Wings. A pest at times. Great scorer though. A player I'd want to have but hate to play against. Probably a lesser version of Shanahan. 

Edited by kickazz

I heard this from the legendary play-by-play broadcaster Mike Stubbs, during his pre-game before tonight's Sarnia v. London OHL game on AM980, London ON, which i will paraphrase:

Saturday's Columbus (14-game winning streak) v. Minnesota (12-game winning streak) game is the first time in NHL history that both teams enjoy current double-digit winning streaks.

On 12/27/2016 at 6:43 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

Greatest teams in NHL history: 

1. 1977 Canadiens

2. 1984 Oilers

3. 2017 Blue Jackets

In all seriousness, I've only heard of a handful of those players.  I can't imagine this team sustaining this run in what looks to be a tough Conference come playoff time.  

Doubt it, they have a really good team. They also have the 2nd best goalie in the league right now (2nd in GAA, 2nd in Save %).

Was not picturing myself watching a Columbus - Minnesota game, but I'll take a peek at it when recovering tomorrow.

I tend to agree frankgrimes, some of those players are gonna break. Happy for Werenski though, kid is earning his stripes. Would give half an arm to have him wear a winged wheel jersey.

3 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

happy for Prout, Werenski, Jones and Jenner

There is no way they can keep up this physicality play sadly

Saad, Foligno, Dubinsky, Hartnell, Anderson, Johnson and Savard also all play with an edge. 

This team is built for this style of play. 

5 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

How has anybody not posted Torts' adjustment to following advanced stat trends as part of his success?  I've watched a handful of blue jackets games, and the announcers bring it up A LOT.  The coaching staff of the blue jackets has made a massive effort to shift toward players who generate quick transition from the defensive zone to the offensive zone and players who keep it in the offensive zone (strong CF%).  Our GM and coach are so far behind in this regard, it should surprise no one that we are performing poorly. ...

Columbus is not a good possession team. If it's a focus for them, they aren't very good at focusing.

The Wings may suck at it this year, but given our history, suggesting it's not something the organization values is idiotic. The Wings are the main reason "possession" is even a thing in the NHL.