Rate this topic

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Rattie claimed by Carolina
Boucher claimed by Vancouver
Nieto claimed by Colorado
Halak clears waivers
Khudobin clears waivers

Gonna be tough moving goalies folks

I wonder if the fan bases of the teams that lost those players are demanding their GM be fired because they lost them for nothing.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I wonder if the fan bases of the teams that lost those players are demanding their GM be fired because they lost them for nothing.

With Rattie blues bros were some upset bc they got nothing for him and he didnt even need to be waived i guess.

Boucher has already been waived like 5 times by multiple teams including the Devs this season so i think Devs fans were prepared for that.

Nieto i have no idea, but hes from long beach so i bet theres some SJ fans butthurt about it

On 1/5/2017 at 2:02 PM, DickieDunn said:

That still doesn't justify giving him the #1 job unchallenged.  He needs to earn it.

So Jared lets up a couple soft goals last night and once again proves he's not NHL Ready, just like he showed in Winter Classic.

Mrazek did a great job coming in and had no chance on deflections.  Mrazek is #1 until Jimmy is ready, stop playing Jared.

3 hours ago, sixer said:

So Jared lets up a couple soft goals last night and once again proves he's not NHL Ready, just like he showed in Winter Classic.

Mrazek did a great job coming in and had no chance on deflections.  Mrazek is #1 until Jimmy is ready, stop playing Jared.

I don't disagree about Coreau last night, but I also don't think it was a bad idea to go with the same lineup coming off the Los Angeles game.  It was the best game we've played in months. 

Clean up roster space and salaries:

1. Trade Vanek for late 1st or couple of 2nds.

2. Trade (give him away) Howard without any salary retention (we will still be paying Weiss buyout next year).

3. Trade Errorson - here we will need David Copperfield.

4. Package DeKe and either of Tatar/Nyquist for immediate defensive help.

5. Trade Tatar/Nyquist, XO and 3rd for top 6 forward with size.

6. Trade Helm for late pick.

7. Trade LG for anything.

8. Bring Tippett as a head coach.

9. Trade Nielsen for draft picks.

10. Go BIG after Tavares this summer.

11. Trade Smith for 3rd rounder.

Well basically we don't need a new GM but a ******* Houdini/Copperfield 

Just now, Richdg said:

Nope, 1 more year.

It gives us more time to clean up this mess and be prepared for Tavares as I can't see him going back to Isles

If Radulov is FA I would definitely go after him. I was against signing him last summer but he's been elite player so far for the Habs.

3 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Suter and Parise say hi!

I think that was a different story as they wanted to play together and their wifes are from Minnesota or something like that. From what I remember KH tried hard but at the end of the day they decided to play for Minnesota... At least he tried to sign them.

3 minutes ago, Dominator2005 said:

I think that was a different story as they wanted to play together and their wifes are from Minnesota or something like that. From what I remember KH tried hard but at the end of the day they decided to play for Minnesota... At least he tried to sign them.

He has been trying for years and failing to land the top UFA's. Either do or do not, there is no try......

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I don't disagree about Coreau last night, but I also don't think it was a bad idea to go with the same lineup coming off the Los Angeles game.  It was the best game we've played in months. 

While the LA game was solid offensively and defensively,  Jared wasn't reason why we won.  We outchanced LA by quite a bit and he didn't face a difficult night.  

The prior night against Anaheim, Mrazek played his best game of the year but had zero help.  He held game 1-0 until late in the 3rd. 

Mrazek should be our #1, none of this Jared starting until he's NHL ready. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

While the LA game was solid offensively and defensively,  Jared wasn't reason why we won.  We outchanced LA by quite a bit and he didn't face a difficult night.  

The prior night against Anaheim, Mrazek played his best game of the year but had zero help.  He held game 1-0 until late in the 3rd. 

Mrazek should be our #1, none of this Jared starting until he's NHL ready. 

27 minutes ago, Richdg said:

He has been trying for years and failing to land the top UFA's. Either do or do not, there is no try......

More hyperbole.

No doubt he failed with Suter, but the Wings have landed top UFA's almost every year. Now if you want to argue the results of those signings, that is a different story. But if we are talking their ability to land players they want, they have. Weak UFA classes and poor results from the players signed have been their problem.

1 hour ago, Dominator2005 said:

2. Trade (give him away) Howard without any salary retention (we will still be paying Weiss buyout next year).

Dekeyser and Nyquist or Tatar doesn't bring much help and nobody is going to want Nielsen with that contract.

At this point bring in new players is worthless because no matter what they do, Trashill is the coach.  Dude would tell Ovechkin he has to grind and kill penalties and wouldn't let him play on the PP.  He's that dumb.

7 hours ago, Dominator2005 said:

I love the " lets trade the whole team " philosophy. Like that ever happens. In a perfect world we could move one of the those contracts on the back end. Preferably Ericcson's contract. Move one of the goalie contracts( not likely) . That frees up 8-9 million right there.  If someone is willing to completely over spend for Green it has to be done.  Deal has to be right. Green is only 31 and up until he was injured this year was clearly our best d man and had his swagger back.  Nielsen isn't going anywhere.   Vanek for a 1st rounder or two 2nd rounders? Are you serious.  Vanek might fetch a 3rd rounder.  Why would you give away Howard? His injury killed a lot of his trade value but he's arguably was our best player up until he got hurt.  We do still have to ice a hockey team. This team is moving into a new barn, there is no chance this team is going to play with an AHL roster next year. It's not happening. 

Deals will happen between now and the start of next season. We are now inside of 2 months before the trade deadline. What do every PO bound team look for? More scoring, more grit, and more D. That sound like Vanek, Ott, and Green to me. Maybe a Nyquist and/or Tatar can be added to that list.

Now once summer gets here-hurry up already I hate the cold and snow! It is widely believed that this will be a very busy trade market this summer because of the expansion draft. All the top teams will have players that can't cover with the 7 F, 3 D, 1 G format. This is when and were Holland needs to be alert and proactive.

These are the times I look to make major moves. The Habs could be a good trade partner coming up to the deadline. They have injury issues up front and could use one more Dman. They also have been looking for a big C for several years. There are of course more teams that we can work with. It is time to do it.

46 minutes ago, puckbags said:

I would pick Nestrasil up off waivers ** sarcasm ** . Oh I remember when Holland put this guy on waivers and everyone was up in arms.  He's just not that good.  

But he was a Detroit prospect, that makes him better than other teams' prospects just because I saw him play in Grand Rapids/Toledo a couple times and I thought he really stood out those games.

15 hours ago, puckbags said:

I love the " lets trade the whole team " philosophy. Like that ever happens. In a perfect world we could move one of the those contracts on the back end. Preferably Ericcson's contract. Move one of the goalie contracts( not likely) . That frees up 8-9 million right there.  If someone is willing to completely over spend for Green it has to be done.  Deal has to be right. Green is only 31 and up until he was injured this year was clearly our best d man and had his swagger back.  Nielsen isn't going anywhere.   Vanek for a 1st rounder or two 2nd rounders? Are you serious.  Vanek might fetch a 3rd rounder.  Why would you give away Howard? His injury killed a lot of his trade value but he's arguably was our best player up until he got hurt.  We do still have to ice a hockey team. This team is moving into a new barn, there is no chance this team is going to play with an AHL roster next year. It's not happening. 

We kinda are playing with an AHL roster.

We have No identity No superstar/s in their prime like Hawks, Pens, Caps etc. We are going into the new barn limping and swaying like we got into a smackdown with Kocur.

Kinda like when we went into the Joe hopefully the cup is raised quicker in the new barn as it took 18 years to happen @ The Joe as most of us are painfully aware. 

OK, I've been touching on this stuff here and there in different topics, but I want to lay out my entire plan starting Deadline Day and into Start of next season.  You may not agree, "You can breathe, you can blink, you can cry...hell you're all gonna be doing that!" But here it goes...

If I were GM:

Deadline, and I'm 10+ points out of playoffs. I do my best to shop Vanek, Green, Smith (if healthy) Jurco, Ericsson and one of Nyquist/Tatar.

In the perfect world I move all of them, but for real, I'm probably going to be able to move Vanek. As stated in the other thread, I no longer want a pick for him. I am in a hot conversation with Anaheim, who will be sitting atop the pacific looking for scoring to help them possibly bring it all home. I have multiple offer from other clubs regarding Vanek, so Anaheim gives me what I want, Cam Fowler. If I have to throw a 3rd rounder in there to make up for the fact that Vanek is a rental, so be it.

I try to move others, maybe Jurco gets moved for a pick, but I get no takers really. That's fine I got my first piece to the rebuild. Fowler.

Now, I continue to "try" to be competitive, but lets face it, I just traded my leading goal scorer, so offense suffers a bit. We give up less goals, but we also score less. Hey, streak is over, so I may as well miss the payoffs by a mile!

Ok, expansion draft, here is my protection list:

Zetterberg (because I know he will get protected no matter what)

Nielsen

Mantha

Athanasiou

Abdelkader

Tatar

Helm

Fowler

Dekeyser

Sproul

Mrazek

Now, we're going to lose someone, that's a given, looking at who I protected the next best player available is probably Nyquist. Maybe Vegas takes a gamble on Green. As a matter of fact, so I don't get blamed for Swedish Hatred, I am going to go with the scenario they claim Green from us.

Ok, moving on to the draft lottery and draft..I don't tank it enough to beat out Colorado for the #1 pick, but I do get #4. At the draft I am on the phone with Calgary and Winnipeg seeing which one wants that pick more....I offer the #4 pick PLUS Marchenko to both teams for either Hamilton and their 1st or Trouba and their 1st. Looking at the standings right now (yes currently) Calgary has the lead on Winnipeg and also holds the last wildcard spot. Without knowing what is going to happen I am just going to say Calgary gets the wildcard and they also want to do the deal. So that gives me Hamilton and lets say the 14th pick.  I have my top D set. But with the 14th pick I want to draft a young D for the future as well.  I am looking at Cal Foote and Nick Hague. Respectively the are ranked 11 and 12 in the North American skaters group. Obviously you can't predict which players teams will choose, but mixing in the top European skaters along with North American Goalies and Euro Goalies, there's a good chance ONE of those two will be still on the board at #14.  I draft whichever one is there, for this I am going to say Hague, but either one is super ok with me!  I am not going to go through rounds 2-7 here.

Ok, now, we have our D set pretty much, but we need to address the cap soon, plus we may want to try to re-sign Vanek. Which I do want to. Enter July 1:

I love Ott, but unless I can get my cap in order he must find another home. Hopefully he'll give me time to tie up my loose ends. Two players I am interested in are Vanek and Oshie.  Oshie will probably cost me more, so I am only interested if he stays around the same salary as he has now, which probably won't be the case. I offer Vanek a 3 year deal worth $13.5M and of course, a NTC since I know it would be included with Holland. Ok, so now here I sit with a lot of players and a lot of money being spent. I have trim the fat before October. I've already tried and failed to trade E and Howard. I use my buyout's on both of them. What? You say? Yes, now I am on the hook for dead money for 4 years with Howard and 6 years for E, but total per year for 4 years is : $3.4M, $3.8M, $2.8M, $2.8M then only $1.3M and $1.3M for E's final 2 years. I also let Smith leave and Miller, I just cannot afford to re-sign them. As a matter of fact I now have to chose between Jurco and Ott as my 13th forward. I of course re-sign Tatar to a 2 year $6M contract, AA to 2 year $3.6M contract. Jensen 2 year $1.6M and XO 2 years $2.2M. For this scenario I choose to re-sign both Ott and Jurco and deal with the overage come October. But even then I am only over by $723k after giving them both 1 year deals.

So, here is my roster come October with the only remaining detail is choosing Ott or Jurco. Note I do still have Kronwall in my cap, so if he goes LTIR or retires that opens up a lot more for me. Plus there is no guarantee Vanek returns for $4.5M, but I think with Fowler and Hammy acquired, I'll be fine promoting a kid from GR if Vanek gets more somewhere else.

Athanasious - Nielsen - Vanek

Larkin - Zetterberg - Mantha

Tatar - Helm - Nyquist  (this line has great potential)

Sheahan - Glendening - Abdelkader

Ott/Jurco

Fowler - Hamilton

Dekeyser - Sproul

Ouellet - Jensen

Kronwall (listed 7th because he will be in and out all year long)

Mrazek

Coreau

This Mrazek debate is hysterical.  On the one hand you've got folks who think you completely dump a goalie who's struggling in favor of our veteran goalie who has struggled in the same way for big patches of his career.  On the other side you've got someone who basically refuses to admit that Mrazek has every played a bad game in his career, or at least not one that was his fault. 

20 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

This Mrazek debate is hysterical.  On the one hand you've got folks who think you completely dump a goalie who's struggling in favor of our veteran goalie who has struggled in the same way for big patches of his career.  On the other side you've got someone who basically refuses to admit that Mrazek has every played a bad game in his career, or at least not one that was his fault. 

I agree, but there are also plenty of us that lie somewhere in between. Mrazek has had a rough stretch, no question, but it would be foolish to give up on him at this point in his career.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

I agree, but there are also plenty of us that lie somewhere in between. Mrazek has had a rough stretch, no question, but it would be foolish to give up on him at this point in his career.

Which is the reasonable point of view.  Clearly.